Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
May 1, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #931 of 4,937
I'm confused about what you're saying. Are you prepaying to the credit card for a charge that hasn't been posted to the account yet? I can understand that it is one way to set aside money for an expected charge to come, but that is not the best practice for online purchases. I've ordered things from Amazon that became backordered and subsequently canceled because the item became unavailable. You can come up with other ways that you can set aside money for impending charges.
Removed

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #932 of 4,937
With respect to Bifrost 2, we have been waiting on analog PCBs. These are very special for a variety of reasons and are not produced at the PCB provider who does most of our boards. They are long lead time in the best of times. Now, the date promised slipped...and slipped again...and slipped again. Once we have those boards, we're set to go. All other boards have been produced. Metal is in-house. Just waiting on analog output boards.

And, as far as our supply chain goes, we long ago started making changes to ensure availability, and we have no issues with parts. In fact, we stock several months ahead with dedicated stock at our purchasing partner in Utah.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 1, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #933 of 4,937
With respect to Bifrost 2, we have been waiting on analog PCBs. These are very special for a variety of reasons and are not produced at the PCB provider who does most of our boards. They are long lead time in the best of times. Now, the date promised slipped...and slipped again...and slipped again. Once we have those boards, we're set to go. All other boards have been produced. Metal is in-house. Just waiting on analog output boards.

And, as far as our supply chain goes, we long ago started making changes to ensure availability, and we have no issues with parts. In fact, we stock several months ahead with dedicated stock at our purchasing partner in Utah.
I figured it was something with a provider. Thank you for clearing it up for us. I love Schiit products and appreciate your always professional response to inquiries.

May 6, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #934 of 4,937
Hello folks. Thinking about perhaps getting a Bifrost 2, but wondering if the expenditure would worth it. $699.00 sounds very good! However I come from a far away land called Canada and the landed cost would be Very close to $1,200.00.
I know dollar amounts and improvements are all relative, but I wanted to lay out my situation and get some feedback:

Say a guy is running a DAP (Sony NW-ZX300) to feed an SMSL SU-8 DAC to feed a Liquid Platinum amp, an SMSL SP200 amp and a MAD Ear+ HD II tube amp.

Headphones are Grado GH2's, Meze 99 Classic's, HiFiman Sundara's, Focal Elex's and Koss E95X's

Music being Rock, pop, blues and horn jazz.

Media being 40% ALAC, 30% MP3 (320Kbps) and 30% AAC (260Kbps).
No streaming at all.

With the items listed and my choice of media would I see much of a quality upgrade by changing the SU-8 to a Bifrost 2?

Opinions seem to range from an incremental improvement to Holy crap, it's end game!
I am guessing the reaction will depend on what you are used to, which is why I listed Everything. :smile:

Appreciate any input.

May 6, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #935 of 4,937
Elex and koss for sure. I say find one used. It's incremental from su-8, but everything is improved. The sound is less in your face with headphones, stage will be wider/deeper, and it will sound a bit more euphoric.

Unison usb sounds better with bigger Soundstage. I can't use unison with my bright CTH/hd600 and badly recorded music, it's a bit painful.

I dunno what Alac is, imo if you aren't getting flac files you're missing out on how great it can sound. (edit: I see Alac is 16 bits, think bifrost is only 18bits so probably ain't that different).

I don't have any complaints using it purely for HD650 hd600. If you insist on spending more money on a dac it'll probably be for a different presentation. Your music will sound great, whether you can live with that is up to you lol.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #936 of 4,937
Elex and koss for sure. I say find one used. It's incremental from su-8, but everything is improved. The sound is less in your face with headphones, stage will be wider/deeper, and it will sound a bit more euphoric.

I dunno what Alac is, but imo if you aren't getting flac files you're missing out on how great it can sound. Comparing spotify HQ streaming to the same music flac is quite different. Do yourself that favor if you want to hear what your gear can really do.

I don't have any complaints using it purely for HD650 hd600. If you insist on spending more money on a dac it'll probably be for a different presentation. Your music will sound great, whether you can live with that is up to you lol.
ALAC is just Apple's version of FLAC
I am not going to spend thousands of dollars to replace my lossy files and I have no interest in streaming.

I am just wondering with my gear and my media would I notice much of a difference.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #937 of 4,937
I am not going to spend thousands of dollars to replace my lossy files and I have no interest in streaming.

I am just wondering with my gear and my media would I notice much of a difference.

Wasn't being malicious, just stating my experience. You will notice a difference, especially since you seem to want to hear one. It's worth having.

May 6, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #938 of 4,937

Haven't you answered your own question, or is this one of those Canuk mind games? :wink:

May 6, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #939 of 4,937
edit: I see Alac is 16 bits, think bifrost is only 18bits so probably ain't that different
ALAC can be the same bit depth as FLAC. On HDtracks, for instance, it's just another option for how to download your purchase, whether you get 44/16, 88/24, 96/24 or 192/24.
Apple released the codec as open source under Apache license in 2011, and there are numerous free converters to transcode between FLAC and ALAC. The big advantage of ALAC for me, is that you can play those lossless files on my iPod classic 160GB, where it won't play FLAC. Otherwise, my Pono, Hiby, Fiio, and Sony players all play both, and Roon also plays both.

May 6, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #940 of 4,937
So what are the going thoughts on BF2 as a little Yiggy A2? I'd be using USB and the SE outputs. I had my heart set on Y2 but... yeah...Covid. Even $699 would be an insane splurge. Is the BF2 king of the bank/buck hill?

May 7, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #941 of 4,937
So what are the going thoughts on BF2 as a little Yiggy A2? I'd be using USB and the SE outputs. I had my heart set on Y2 but... yeah...Covid. Even $699 would be an insane splurge. Is the BF2 king of the bank/buck hill?

Bifrost2 is amazing bang for the Bucks.
However when your initial plan was an Yggdrasil I am not sure how long you will be happy before you're tempted to upgrade again.

In this price range the Bifrost2 is probably unbeatable.

King of the Bang/Buck Hill is still a regular Modi for 99$ - it's just so cheap that it's hard to Argue otherwise.

I personally will buy a Gungnir Multibit just as I initially planned. Knowing me, I'd je initially happy with the Bifrost but then still interested in the upgrade after some time.
So I will go directly to what I want which is overall cheaper than several smaller steps in between.

May 7, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #942 of 4,937
Bifrost2 is amazing bang for the Bucks.
However when your initial plan was an Yggdrasil I am not sure how long you will be happy before you're tempted to upgrade again.

In this price range the Bifrost2 is probably unbeatable.

King of the Bang/Buck Hill is still a regular Modi for 99$ - it's just so cheap that it's hard to Argue otherwise.

I personally will buy a Gungnir Multibit just as I initially planned. Knowing me, I'd je initially happy with the Bifrost but then still interested in the upgrade after some time.
So I will go directly to what I want which is overall cheaper than several smaller steps in between.
This was my thought as well; I have an original Bifrost that was upgraded to Multibit and I love it. But I really want a fully balanced system.

May 7, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #943 of 4,937
As with all things sound, if you can find one locally to audition (might be tricky with the pandemic :triportsad:) listening to a bifrost will answer your question better than I can.

That being said, I'm very impressed with my Bifrost 2. It's got a warm, relaxed sound that renders incredible detail. FLAC files have never sounded so... good! It and the Mojo have pretty much eliminated delta sigma DACs from my home listening.

I've never heard a Yiggy A2 though, so I can't comment on better/worse/different there.

May 8, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #945 of 4,937
Hello folks. Thinking about perhaps getting a Bifrost 2, but wondering if the expenditure would worth it. $699.00 sounds very good! However I come from a far away land called Canada and the landed cost would be Very close to $1,200.00.
I know dollar amounts and improvements are all relative, but I wanted to lay out my situation and get some feedback:

Say a guy is running a DAP (Sony NW-ZX300) to feed an SMSL SU-8 DAC to feed a Liquid Platinum amp, an SMSL SP200 amp and a MAD Ear+ HD II tube amp.

Headphones are Grado GH2's, Meze 99 Classic's, HiFiman Sundara's, Focal Elex's and Koss E95X's

Music being Rock, pop, blues and horn jazz.

Media being 40% ALAC, 30% MP3 (320Kbps) and 30% AAC (260Kbps).
No streaming at all.

With the items listed and my choice of media would I see much of a quality upgrade by changing the SU-8 to a Bifrost 2?

Opinions seem to range from an incremental improvement to Holy crap, it's end game!
I am guessing the reaction will depend on what you are used to, which is why I listed Everything. :smile:

Appreciate any input.

If you haven’t heard Multibit DAC or NOS DAC you are in for a surprise. You will notice major change in tonality and Timbre out of box.
Bifrost2 is a major upgrade from SMSL SU-8, mark my words. It’s worth the upgrade just for the tonality and timber that you will get out of it.
If you are someone who like little warm sound with very natural vocals then go for it.

PS: I was not at all aware that we can take digital out of Sony ZX300, can we?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back