Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Feb 19, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #586 of 4,878
Completely agree with this. It's cliché in this hobby, but component synergy is still a huge factor when upgrading DACs and preamps. I have tried Bifrost 2 on my Asgard 2 amp and my Campfire IEMs, but I ultimately find the best synergy with Schiit Saga preamp and Yamaha HS7 speakers. With my CA Andromeda, the Bifrost 2 and Asgard 2 chain is sonically inferior to my Chord Mojo alone, but Bifrost 2 stomps on Mojo when both are A/Bed through Saga + HS7 speakers.

Hi I'm new to the forum, I have a similar setup as yours (Modi Multibit--->Saga+--->HS7 speakers). I would like to ask you if the upgrade from the modi MB to bifrost 2 is clearly udible using the HS7. Also, how do you connect the saga with the hs7? I have a cheap (10€) rca - TS 1/4 cable and I'm considering to upgrade, but there aren't many quality cables with TS 1/4 male. Thanks in advance!

Feb 19, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #587 of 4,878
Hi I'm new to the forum, I have a similar setup as yours (Modi Multibit--->Saga+--->HS7 speakers). I would like to ask you if the upgrade from the modi MB to bifrost 2 is clearly udible using the HS7. Also, how do you connect the saga with the hs7? I have a cheap (10€) rca - TS 1/4 cable and I'm considering to upgrade, but there aren't many quality cables with TS 1/4 male. Thanks in advance!

Definitely audible, heck I should say it's a clear and definite jump over my old Bifrost Multibit as well as the Freya+, Aegir and KEF LS50 + KEF R400b setup from Schiitr. I use the Mogami Gold RCA to 1/4 TS male from Saga v1 to HS8S then that is fed to the HS7 using Mogami Gold XLR female to 1/4 TRS male. As for BF2 and Saga, I use the Violectric Premium RCA cables

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #588 of 4,878
Definitely audible, heck I should say it's a clear and definite jump over my old Bifrost Multibit as well as the Freya+, Aegir and KEF LS50 + KEF R400b setup from Schiitr. I use the Mogami Gold RCA to 1/4 TS male from Saga v1 to HS8S then that is fed to the HS7 using Mogami Gold XLR female to 1/4 TRS male. As for BF2 and Saga, I use the Violectric Premium RCA cables

Thank you for your feedback, I'm looking forward to do the upgrade to BF2 as soon as money can permit :triumph:

A bit off topic question, do you think LS50s (and of course an amp, maybe a schiit vidar) would be a substantial upgrade from the HS7? I've learned to love the HS7s but I know that the yamaha are more of musicians monitors for mixing / mastering instead of "audiophile" listening...

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #589 of 4,878
Thank you for your feedback, I'm looking forward to do the upgrade to BF2 as soon as money can permit :triumph:

A bit off topic question, do you think LS50s (and of course an amp, maybe a schiit vidar) would be a substantial upgrade from the HS7? I've learned to love the HS7s but I know that the yamaha are more of musicians monitors for mixing / mastering instead of "audiophile" listening...

To me, the LS50 is better sounding for mid to room filling listening than near field. The HS7’s sound dispersion is a lot more directional than the LS50 so it has a much tighter listening window (sweet spot). When both are used for near field, I prefer the more even treble response of the HS7 than the LS50 on axis listening

Feb 21, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #590 of 4,878
I have Bifrost 2 and am very impressed with Unison, however, I just want to make sure this knowledge is out there: I use an xDuoo X10TII digital transport with mine over USB and I frequently get a loud popping sound from the music if it is too loud/compressed. I think this is due to the 32 bit output of the xDuoo whereas Unison is limited to 24 bit. On the other hand, my SDAC at the office doesn't have this issue. The xDuoo is a fantastic little transport but afaik there is no way to force 24 bit output. Just in case anyone is planning on using these two together.

Feb 21, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #591 of 4,878
I have Bifrost 2 and am very impressed with Unison, however, I just want to make sure this knowledge is out there: I use an xDuoo X10TII digital transport with mine over USB and I frequently get a loud popping sound from the music if it is too loud/compressed. I think this is due to the 32 bit output of the xDuoo whereas Unison is limited to 24 bit. On the other hand, my SDAC at the office doesn't have this issue. The xDuoo is a fantastic little transport but afaik there is no way to force 24 bit output. Just in case anyone is planning on using these two together.

That’s weird. Streaming via microRendu into Bifrost 2 /Unison, I get a brief buzzing tone when I switch tracks. If I pause the track and then select a new track, no buzz. This does not happen with Yggdrasil with Gen 5 USB.

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #592 of 4,878
I had no problem with ultraRendu into the Bifrost 2. What are you using to control the microRendu?

Feb 23, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #595 of 4,878
Feb 24, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #596 of 4,878
This last weekend I realized that the popping sound from the xDuoo was also an issue on Gen5 USB as well. It seems, without having too many more DACs to try, that the issue is exclusive to Schiit's latest USB implementations. I thought it was the 32 bit output into a 24 bit DAC that was the issue, but as it turns out, my SDAC at work doesn't have any issues at all (24/96 max). Weird.

I have been meaning to grab a Pi2AES or USBridge Sig sooner than later... and also an AES to RCA converter and some bulk coax wire/connectors, to try the xDuoo AES output. this is probably going to be the final push I need. The xDuoo is stunningly good with Chord Mojo, but seems to be incompatible with Schiit USB for whatever reason. Sad, because Schiit has done such amazing work with their USB implementations and the xDuoo USB output is pretty damn nice as well. They're a great combo when they do work together with music that has decent dynamic range.

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #597 of 4,878
I can happily report that my iPhone11 works with Bifrost2/Unison with the lightning-to-usb adapter (CCK). Thought I’d give it a try and it works! :L3000:

Nice. I currently have the usb plugged from my Mac mini to the bifrost. I’ll have to buy a usb hub to see if I can use it for both the Mac and an iOS device. Type B usb hubs are not as easy to find as type A.

Feb 25, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #598 of 4,878
Nice. I currently have the usb plugged from my Mac mini to the bifrost. I’ll have to buy a usb hub to see if I can use it for both the Mac and an iOS device. Type B usb hubs are not as easy to find as type A.

No hub needed to connect the iPhone11 to the Bifrost2. I connected it with USB B->A cable (same cable as I use to the MacBook), then to the lightning CCK, and to the phone.

Feb 25, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #599 of 4,878
No hub needed to connect the iPhone11 to the Bifrost2. I connected it with USB B->A cable (same cable as I use to the MacBook), then to the lightning CCK, and to the phone.

I looked into this once and I believe it will successfully pass up to 24/96 via this connection, is that correct? It’s intriguing because theoretically there should be less noise compared to usb out of a computer as well, correct?

Feb 25, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #600 of 4,878
My post wasn’t clear. I’d want a hub so I don’t have to unplug the Mac mini every time I connect my phone or iPad. Not sure if that works but worth a try. Having an iPad permanently connected might be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Quiz
Back