Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Feb 13, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #556 of 4,812
good good (or no good),
after making the right decision: choose the Bifroost2 h the Froya +,
But for personal work issues (the cancellation of the mobile fair in Barcelona that will make me lose a lot of money, specifically the recovery of January and February / I am taxi driver in BCN and Cabify is hitting my economy hard).
The thing is, I can't afford what I had thought now, so my MagnetoPlanars will have to settle for the ToppingD90. But I will be attentive to the news, like seeing if the top of MultiBit range is put the AK9944. I hope then to be recovered and go directly to that without going through the Bifrost2 (it's dreaming and it's free).

Greetings to all friends,
and thanks for all that you have informed me

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #557 of 4,812
Oh. My. God. Are you Schiiting me?!?!? Wow. This thing sounds absolutely fantastic! I got home from work this evening and the Bifrost 2 had been burning in for about 24 hours and I sat down to listen and haven't hardly moved except to eat quick. I'm floored by how natural and huge it sounds. I was a little concerned when I listened to it for a bit straight out of the box yesterday noting a little bit of a lack of refinement, bass felt a touch lacking, there was a subtle grayness throughout and it felt like there was a touch of air missing (soundstage height/spatial cues/decay). That said the natural tonality was quite engaging and the soundstage depth was quite nice indeed. Well, after 24 hours this thing has rectified all of that in every way! The soundstage and dimensionality absolutely opened up in every direction, lots of air, space and decay, impactful and very deep bass, very black background and overall much more refined. The resolution and window into the recording and space within the soundstage is phenomenal. Imaging is excellent and the sense of layering within the soundstage is easily discernible. I can't get over it. Guys, 15-20 years ago you could only get this kind of resolution, resolving quality and musical essence in really high priced DAC's and CD players. This thing is $700? That's nuts. Everything just sounds so good and you feel engaged to just listen. I'm not skipping around and listening to my usual audiophile fare, I'm just listening. The analog-like quality makes music just a joy to listen to and there is no listening fatigue whatsoever. There's nothing syrupy here, it's not overly warm, not boring, there's no wet blanket over the music. It's just very much tonally accurate and natural sounding - but everything is there. The dimensional soundscape, it's nuts!

Anyhow, there's some more impressions. I know this thread has been going for a while now and the hype has leveled off a little but there you go. This is a fantastic DAC indeed.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #558 of 4,812
Now you know we and especially @Ripper2860 are not exaggerating on how much awesomesauce this DAC can be.

Feb 14, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #559 of 4,812
Hello, just been reading through the thread and I thought I’d get a few views on my current dilemma.

Been downsizing/downgrading my gear a bit recently and am wanted a setup a more affordable setup. I’m looking at the Bifrost 2 or Modi Multibit for that system.

Setup will be Tidal > Oppo UDP 203 (transport) > Bifrost 2/Modi MB > EC ZDT Jr > HD6xx.

I wonder whether the Bifrost 2 will be leaps and bounds ahead in this chain for well over twice the price of the Modi or not? I won’t be utilising Unison or Balanced outs so would Bifrost 2 be overkill? In the UK Bifrost is £730 and Modi MB is £280, which is a huge gap in price.

I am attracted the idea that the B2 gets close to the sound of the original Gumby too as I owned that for a time and really loved the sound.

Any thoughts that might help me here? Thanks

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #560 of 4,812
W
Hello, just been reading through the thread and I thought I’d get a few views on my current dilemma.

Been downsizing/downgrading my gear a bit recently and am wanted a setup a more affordable setup. I’m looking at the Bifrost 2 or Modi Multibit for that system.

Setup will be Tidal > Oppo UDP 203 (transport) > Bifrost 2/Modi MB > EC ZDT Jr > HD6xx.

I wonder whether the Bifrost 2 will be leaps and bounds ahead in this chain for well over twice the price of the Modi or not? I won’t be utilising Unison or Balanced outs so would Bifrost 2 be overkill? In the UK Bifrost is £730 and Modi MB is £280, which is a huge gap in price.

I am attracted the idea that the B2 gets close to the sound of the original Gumby too as I owned that for a time and really loved the sound.

I'm very happy my Modi multibit but I've wondered the same thing. I've read that there's not that big of difference between the Bifrost 2 and the Modi multibit. I'll be looking forward to hearing the answers to your question. Considerable price difference.

Feb 14, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #561 of 4,812
W

I'm very happy my Modi multibit but I've wondered the same thing. I've read that there's not that big of difference between the Bifrost 2 and the Modi multibit. I'll be looking forward to hearing the answers to your question. Considerable price difference.

I'd say if one perceives little difference between Bifrost 2 and Modi Multibit, their system doesn't pair well with Bifrost 2. It should be noticeable immediately that Bifrost 2 is a lot better, as in ten seconds or less after pressing play, at least that's what I perceived when I demoed the whole Schiit MB lineup at Schiitr

Feb 14, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #562 of 4,812
I'd say if one perceives little difference between Bifrost 2 and Modi Multibit, their system doesn't pair well with Bifrost 2. It should be noticeable immediately that Bifrost 2 is a lot better, as in ten seconds or less after pressing play, at least that's what I perceived when I demoed the whole Schiit MB lineup at Schiitr
Good to know. I believed it was bound to be a step up. Have you heard the Bifrost 4490?

Feb 14, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #563 of 4,812

If the BF2 is in fact close the level of the Gumby now, as many are reporting, then I agree and would be led to believe that the BF2 should be noticeably better than the Modi Multibit. In addition to your thought about whether the BF2 pairs well or not with their system, I would add it could also be that the amp and/or headphones/speakers aren't allowing them to hear as much of a difference.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #564 of 4,812
I had a Mimby and then upgraded to an older Bifrost Uber. I did a few AB's. Both myself, my friend, and my non-audio-enthusiastic sister all blindly chose the Bifrost every time. I can't speak about the BF2, but a non multibit, older bifrost clearly out did the modi multibit... soo.....

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #565 of 4,812

In my experience with the multibit card (which uses the same tech as Modi multibit) vs the Bifrost2, the difference is substantial. It has been called the mini Yggdrasil, and although I haven’t heard the Yggdrasil nor the Gugnir myself, I’ve read that it is well deserved :L3000:

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #566 of 4,812

Yes, It was kind of a “Holy Schiit”-moment :smiley:

Feb 14, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #567 of 4,812
You guys are the worst. Time to sell some stuff to offset the dollars I’m going to spend on the bifrost. There’s a used Gumby floating around in the fs section that looks tempting but a new bifrost with a full 5 year warranty, unison, user upgradable firmware and upgradable internals May be the play.

Feb 14, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #568 of 4,812
You guys are the worst. Time to sell some stuff to offset the dollars I’m going to spend on the bifrost. There’s a used Gumby floating around in the fs section that looks tempting but a new bifrost with a full 5 year warranty, unison, user upgradable firmware and upgradable internals May be the play.
As a Gumby (A1) owner, I have to say if I was in the market for a DAC, and did not already have the Gumby, I would go for the Bifrost 2 because of the stuff you mentioned. They are supposed to be close in sound, and the Bifrost 2 is future proof. I am happy as heck with my Gumby, but sure do wish I would have waited and got the Bifrost 2. The smaller size is a big plus, for desk space as well.

Feb 14, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #569 of 4,812

That ultimate upgradability is great, especially when living a fair distance away that makes cost of shipping significant.

Were I to get the Yggdrasil I’d wait and hope for a next gen with the same field-upgradability as the Bifrost2. As tempting as the Yggdrasil is, the cost and other pains of shipping that colossus back and forth is not.

Feb 15, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #570 of 4,812
Ive got a modi 3, modi multibit, bifrost 4490, and a Bifrost 2.

short version, I thought that Bifrost 4490 was more revealing and detailed then the modi multibit with better transparency and longer decay, but the modi multibit had a fuller/heavier sound. All of those differences were impactful to MY enjoyment, but slight in the grand scheme of things. My wife is only around the bifrost 2 occasionally but usually remarks that she is hearing something new while listening to favourites.

Bifrost 2 had all of the detail of the 4490, plus a tad bit more....

Bifrost 2 had that multibit meatiness/fullness that modi Multibit has.

Rest of the equipment matters alot. Bifrost 2 really sounds special with my HD600s and Asgard 2. I love the Bifrost 2 in my 2ch rig.

The vast vast majority of these impressions were made with toslink/optical

I am just getting into USB now.

I tell you what, having that remote is handy.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back