Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Nov 10, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #271 of 4,812
Thanks for this detailed response. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. It seems like I could be very happy with anything from the Bifrost 2 on up (the bit of warmth appeals to me, though I'd love the resolution of the bigger DACs), and I just get to decide where to draw my cost/benefit line in the sand. The Yggy might be a bit out of reach, and by your reconing the Gungnir and Bifrost 2 are very close. Hmmmm...

Anecdotally (which ain't worth much), I've loved the Mimby so much that I sold my turntable, phono pre, and all my records (300-400 of them) about two months after I got it. I do not miss them. Ever. I'm hoping my next piece of Schiit will be my endgame (with updates as Schiit releases them) for the next decade or so.

You definitely won't be disappointed with Bifrost 2. When you get it, I suggest to focus on the bass and treble to easily hear the improvements from Modi MB. Then as you listen for a while, you'll notice the subtle difference in their presentation where Bifrost 2 is a tiny bit more forward and micro dynamics and resolution on those frequencies start to show.

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #272 of 4,812
Definitely helpful comparisons. Schiit doesn't make it easy these days. First, you got the Yiggy GS, which seems like such a tempting deal. Then you have the Bifrost2, which is their latest DAC. Then you have the prospect of the Gungnir 2 Multibit with Unison and Autonomy, probably coming earlyish in 2020, much less a Yiggy with similar upgrades?

I think a Gumby2 is what has my interest piqued the most right now, despite it probably costing 2x a Bifrost2 and a little less than a Yiggy GS...

Nov 10, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #273 of 4,812
Definitely helpful comparisons. Schiit doesn't make it easy these days. First, you got the Yiggy GS, which seems like such a tempting deal. Then you have the Bifrost2, which is their latest DAC. Then you have the prospect of the Gungnir 2 Multibit with Unison and Autonomy, probably coming earlyish in 2020, much less a Yiggy with similar upgrades?

I think a Gumby2 is what has my interest piqued the most right now, despite it probably costing 2x a Bifrost2 and a little less than a Yiggy GS...

I'm pretty sure Gumby2 would widen the gap when Unison starts rolling out. Then again, the biggest difference in their implementation is the discrete analog stage against op-amp. For me though, I'm really impressed on how much fidelity these op-amps are pumping out these days.

Nov 17, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #274 of 4,812
I read Allanmarcus' review in the thread, that he couldn't hear a difference between the Bifrost Multibit and Bifrost 2. I've have some similar experiences comparing DACs in the past.

Have others compared the two and been able to more definitely hear a difference? How would you describe the difference?

Nov 21, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #275 of 4,812
Choices, Choices, In Janujary my birthday rolls around and its time for a new desktop rig. The only thing that I will be keeping are my active audioengine a5+ speakers.
I am pretty sure that for a headphone i will get the dca afc2 and the bifrost 2 looks really good as usbdac to connect to my laptop so that i can connect an amp and the speakers to the dac and still control volume on speakers.
But now for the amp: jotunheim balanced would be nice butthat would mean 2 cables for the headphone. The asgard 3 is cheaper and I think would also work well with my choice of headphone but then I would need xlr to rca cables for my speakers.
I cant really listen to them before ordering which setup would give the best synergy?
I also thought about the lyr 3 but dont really like tube rolling.
thanks in advance for any info/advice,
Greetings, Anouk,

Nov 21, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #276 of 4,812
Think of Asgard 3 as a solid state version of Lyr 3. It uses the same 'Continuity' technology.

That would be my choice. :wink:

Nov 21, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #277 of 4,812
Choices, Choices, In Janujary my birthday rolls around and its time for a new desktop rig. The only thing that I will be keeping are my active audioengine a5+ speakers.
I am pretty sure that for a headphone i will get the dca afc2 and the bifrost 2 looks really good as usbdac to connect to my laptop so that i can connect an amp and the speakers to the dac and still control volume on speakers.
But now for the amp: jotunheim balanced would be nice butthat would mean 2 cables for the headphone. The asgard 3 is cheaper and I think would also work well with my choice of headphone but then I would need xlr to rca cables for my speakers.
I cant really listen to them before ordering which setup would give the best synergy?
I also thought about the lyr 3 but dont really like tube rolling.
thanks in advance for any info/advice,
Greetings, Anouk,

Why do you need XLR to RCA cables with the Asgard 3? It only has single-ended outs and the A5+ has single-ended ins. Use the volume on the Asgard to control the volume on the A5s. Don't bother with the XLRs on the Bifrost if nothing else is balanced.

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #278 of 4,812
Placed my order yesterday. I will soon be the owner of both Bifrost Multibit 1 (last revision said to be closer to Gungnir than Modi MB; I also own a Modi Multibit v2) AND a Bifrost 2.

I'm considering selling the Bifrost MB 1 and using the XLR output of B2 to run balanced cables from my speaker rig through my living room (~20ft) to my desk with my headphones, rather than having two DACs. I'd then use some kind of method to convert balanced to single-ended for my Crack. I'm on the fence about this plan, I would never run a single-ended cable longer than 9-10 ft, but balanced cables shouldn't be too negatively affected by long runs. I can also make my own XLR cables, using Mogami four core OFC, which would cut down on the cost. Unsure if things would sound better with Bifrost Multibit 1 sitting at the desk, or Bifrost 2 from across the room.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #279 of 4,812
I just placed my order as well. I currently have a Bifrost Multibit from early 2017, with the Gen 5 USB upgrade. I will be curious to see if I can hear the difference between the two. Having the XLR outs might be handy though, to use with my Jotunheim amp - though I also have a Lyr 3 amp and a Saga preamp (for remote control of volume), so I'll be using the RCA outs as well.

Nov 22, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #280 of 4,812
received my Bifrost 2 last week for my work desktop rig, to replace Bifrost MB. balanced XLR to Jotunheim to powered ELAC NAVIS ARB-41s

i haven’t listened to the Bifrost MB for a long while, as I had been using my Hugo 2 as the desktop DAC directly into the ELACs

really enjoying being back between a Schiit rig. it sounds really special and i look forward to going to work and listening more!

Nov 24, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #281 of 4,812
I just placed my order as well. I currently have a Bifrost Multibit from early 2017, with the Gen 5 USB upgrade. I will be curious to see if I can hear the difference between the two. Having the XLR outs might be handy though, to use with my Jotunheim amp - though I also have a Lyr 3 amp and a Saga preamp (for remote control of volume), so I'll be using the RCA outs as well.
Hi Mark,
Really curious to hear your evaluation of the bifrost 2 with lyr 3 and with jotunheim. What the differences are in sq and synergy.
Greetings, Anouk,

Nov 24, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #282 of 4,812
Please let us know your comparison between the two Bifrosts. I'm actually glad that AllanMarcus said he couldn't hear a difference as I have the Gen 5 MB myself. Nothing about my MB sounds weird or lacking, so I don't have a real desire to upgrade...aside from GAS of course :)

Nov 24, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #283 of 4,812
Hi Mark,
Really curious to hear your evaluation of the bifrost 2 with lyr 3 and with jotunheim. What the differences are in sq and synergy.
Greetings, Anouk,

I have both Lyr 3 and Jotunheim. I think both are great amps and pair well with Bifrost 2. Both are great with planars such as the Aeon Flows. Both are somewhat warm amps.

I'll describe what I hear, but it's hard for me to be super descriptive about amp / DAC differences.

The Jotunheim has narrower sound stage and not very holographic. However, it has a really meaty bass response and does well with bassy dynamic headphones like Atticus and Emu Teak, but also adds some kick to the Aeons and ETHER headphones. Prior to getting the Bifrost 2 I was listening to the Lyr 3 more. However, I really like the Bifrost 2 / Jotunheim pairing. I think some of the hardness in the treble I was hearing in the past was related to the DAC / USB implementation rather than the amp. All that cleared up with the Bifrost 2.

Lyr 3 has great soundstage and still very good bass (may be tube dependent; I've only used the Tung Sol - haven't had much time to tube roll). Transients are fast, but slower vs. Jotuneim. Mids are very smooth and forward with Lyr 3. Treble is non-fatiguing, but very detailed. Lyr 3 benefits from the bass response of the Bifrost and the combination has significant holographic effects where instruments start to sound delineated in space.

Both have ample power planar headphones.

Overall, the simplest differentiation is that Jotunheim has faster transients and more bass slam, while Lyr 3 has larger sound stage and overall smoother mids and treble.

More relevant to this thread, the Bifrost 2 is my first higher end DAC and the improvements in sound are really noticeable vs. Modi Multibit and Modi 3. Again it's hard for me to describe, but the Bifrost 2 adds increased resolution between instruments and seems to have a quieter background, which likely is related to the Unison USB.

vs. Modi 3, Bifrost 2 adds more detailed and noticeable bass response and clearer and more extended treble. Modi 3 does string instruments very well, but there is a bit of a digital sound at times. With Bifrost 2 everything sounds more natural and "live" to me.

vs. Modi Multibit, Bifrost 2 adds more clarity in the treble while retaining the aggressive bass response.

The biggest thing I noticed moving up to Bifrost 2 was layering of complex sounds. For example guitar chords gain what sound like reverberating harmonics that decay naturally and sound very much like live guitar. I didn't get this clarity to the same extent with Modi Multibit and much less with Modi 3.

Nov 24, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #284 of 4,812
I have both Lyr 3 and Jotunheim. I think both are great amps and pair well with Bifrost 2. Both are great with planars such as the Aeon Flows. Both are somewhat warm amps.

I'll describe what I hear, but it's hard for me to be super descriptive about amp / DAC differences.

The Jotunheim has narrower sound stage and not very holographic. However, it has a really meaty bass response and does well with bassy dynamic headphones like Atticus and Emu Teak, but also adds some kick to the Aeons and ETHER headphones. Prior to getting the Bifrost 2 I was listening to the Lyr 3 more. However, I really like the Bifrost 2 / Jotunheim pairing. I think some of the hardness in the treble I was hearing in the past was related to the DAC / USB implementation rather than the amp. All that cleared up with the Bifrost 2.

Lyr 3 has great soundstage and still very good bass (may be tube dependent; I've only used the Tung Sol - haven't had much time to tube roll). Transients are fast, but slower vs. Jotuneim. Mids are very smooth and forward with Lyr 3. Treble is non-fatiguing, but very detailed. Lyr 3 benefits from the bass response of the Bifrost and the combination has significant holographic effects where instruments start to sound delineated in space.

Overall, the simplest differentiation is that Jotunheim has faster transients and more bass slam, while Lyr 3 has larger sound stage and overall smoother mids and treble.

More relevant to this thread, the Bifrost 2 is my first higher end DAC and the improvements in sound are really noticeable vs. Modi Multibit and Modi 3. Again it's hard for me to describe, but the Bifrost 2 adds increased resolution between instruments and seems to have a quieter background, which likely is related to the Unison USB.

vs. Modi 3, Bifrost 2 adds more detailed and noticeable bass response and clearer and more extended treble. Modi 3 does string instruments very well, but there is a bit of a digital sound at times. With Bifrost 2 everything sounds more natural and "live" to me.

vs. Modi Multibit, Bifrost 2 adds more clarity in the treble while retaining the aggressive bass response.

The biggest thing I noticed moving up to Bifrost 2 was layering of complex sounds. For example guitar chords gain what sound like reverberating harmonics that decay naturally and sound very much like live guitar. I didn't get this clarity to the same extent with Modi Multibit and much less with Modi 3.

Yep. Pretty much support the differences I find with Modi Multibit and Bifrost 2. One doesn’t need to critically listen to find the improvements. IMO, you’re already experiencing a taste of high end DAC experience by getting a Bifrost 2. Beyond it is a matter of personal taste in tonality and stage presentation rather than sheer resolution and dynamics

Nov 25, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #285 of 4,812

Very nice description of the amps and DACs. I haven’t heard the Modi3, and Jotunheim only very briefly, but your description matches pretty much exactly what I hear between them too :L3000:

Let me just add something with regard to the Bifrost2 and Lyr3, which is my main rig now. Before getting the Bifrost2 I used the Lyr3 with the multibit DAC card and I the Tung-Sol reissue 6SN7. A great sounding combo for sure, but I felt that the Tung-Sol lacked a little in clarity and sounded a bit muddy at times. So I tried to tube roll a bit but didn’t really find anything better. A tube that improved clarity lacked in bass instead, was less euphonic/musical, had less sound stage, etc.

Enter the Bifrost2.
It fixed everything that I felt was lacking with the Tung-Sol and tried to fix with tube rolling (but failed), and it kept everything that was good! Which of course means that the things I found lacking were really not from the tube, but the multibit card... I was surprised that a DAC could make such a large difference as it did.

So, I still use the Tung-Sol and have acquired a quad of spares, too :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back