Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Sep 26, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #136 of 4,935
I had a Jotunheim (off when not in use) on top as well. Briefly had this setup with the new one:

Both seemed to run a bit cooler this way.

Now the Bifrost 2 is under a glass monitor riser and the Jotunheim is on top of the riser. We're having a heatwave in San Francisco right now and the Bifrost 2 is unpleasantly hot just idling. About as hot as the Yggdrasil in a cabinet with a door (but no rear walls), which I've been using all day. Meanwhile, the Ragnarok 2 on top of the cabinet is merely handwarm while powering my speakers. Those heatsinks are very effective. :)

I bought these anti-vibrations pads - https://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-MP-2E-EVA-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8 - mentioned in one of the threads. I placed them between the Bifrost 2 and Lyr 3. The heat around the Lyr3 is not as hot as it used to be

Sep 26, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #137 of 4,935
Just a quick question for Bifrost 2 owners, when first switching the unit on the front source and inverter lights flash for around 10 seconds then go out then start flashing again & then finally the unit clicks?

Thanks.

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #138 of 4,935
Just a quick question for Bifrost 2 owners, when first switching the unit on the front source and inverter lights flash for around 10 seconds then go out then start flashing again & then finally the unit clicks?

Thanks.

Yes.
When the lights stop flashing the USB input light is on, but there is no click until I connect the USB to the laptop later.
I usually turn it and the amp on one hour or so before listening to warm up while I have other things to tend to.

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #139 of 4,935
Thanks, mines connected via usb to a desktop pc so that would be why mine clicks straight after the lights stop flashing and the usb input light is illuminated.

Just a heads up that there is a new filmware update available.

Bifrost 2 Current Firmware: Bifrost 2 C0088, D0105
Release Date: 9/26/2019

Release notes: This maintenance release eliminates USB lockout and solves incompatibility with some third party remote controls. No sound changes. Recommended for all Bifrost 2 owners.

https://www.schiit.com/firmware

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #141 of 4,935
I think their new autonomy platform is already showing its value. Pretty cool to push this out as quickly as they have.

We'll also be sending new firmware on MicroSD cards out next week to all owners. The firmware is available now on the site, but if you hold on till next week, you won't have to write your own SD card.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 26, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #142 of 4,935
We'll also be sending new firmware on MicroSD cards out next week to all owners. The firmware is available now on the site, but if you hold on till next week, you won't have to write your own SD card.
That's a nice service, but I for one have plenty of micro SD cards flying around. I'm wondering how many of the users would prefer you spending money on a (presumably cheap, thus kind of throw away) card and postage over using what they may already have.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #143 of 4,935
Taking a closer look, the firmware website specifically suggests formatting the SD card with "32KB cluster/allocation unit size", which a random SD card may not already have, and maybe you don't want to reformat it because it has data on it. To find out the cluster size on Windows, hit Win+R, type cmd, hit Enter, type "wmic volume get driveletter,blocksize" (without the quotes), hit enter. The SD card I had was in D:, so "32768 D:" told me it had the specified cluster size (1 KB = 1024 Bytes, so 32 x 1024 = 32768).

I installed the firmware update, and it looks like it worked! I can cycle through all three inputs even with the USB cord disconnected. Thanks, Jason!

Is that something you would tell people about via the Newsletter ("Spam" link on Schiit?)

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #145 of 4,935
Hey @Jason Stoddard
As a future improvement for the autonomy platform you could have the option to allow the end user to make some minor customization, like disable some of the inputs if not needed. Something similar to what Devialet makes, a webpage where you click some options and download the firmware. Then those who only need two won't have to go through the one unused. I don't know what else could be firmware dependent, but this is a start.

Sep 27, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #146 of 4,935
Hey @Jason Stoddard
As a future improvement for the autonomy platform you could have the option to allow the end user to make some minor customization, like disable some of the inputs if not needed. Something similar to what Devialet makes, a webpage where you click some options and download the firmware. Then those who only need two won't have to go through the one unused. I don't know what else could be firmware dependent, but this is a start.
Sounds largely unnecessary..

Sep 27, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #147 of 4,935
Hey @Jason Stoddard
and then what happens some time in the future when you forget about the customized lockout and add more inputs, or worse, re-sell the unit to someone else :frowning2:
more customization = more that can go wrong. remember Honda motor company's slogan "we make it simple"

Sep 27, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #148 of 4,935
Sounds largely unnecessary..

I didn't say it was necessary, it is optional, like upgrading the USB card in the future. It will work as is, but can be more suited to your needs.

and then what happens some time in the future when you forget about the customized lockout and add more inputs, or worse, re-sell the unit to someone else :frowning2:
more customization = more that can go wrong. remember Honda motor company's slogan "we make it simple"

Sure, simple is reliable. But if a person has a problem in the future, he can do as anyone should: read the manual and follow the instructions or contact tech support at Schiit.
It is likely that we will have to update the firmware to use new boards anyway, I guess this is the reason why the end user can update the firmware on his own, considering that to upgrade to new USB boards people had to send units back to Schiit to update the firmware for some of the products.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back