Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Aug 11, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #2,313 of 4,879
I find the Lyr 3 is a fantastic pre-amp to the the Jot 2, for my music.

Before I purchased my Jot 2, the Lyr 3 was my main amp. Purchased second hand (from another Head-Fi member), the Lyr3 came with the stock JJ 6SN7, and a NOS Sylvania 6SN7. I purchased a new manufacture Tung Sol 6SN7, that I perceived as superior to the JJ and Sylvania.

The rabbit beckoned, and I followed. 2 6F8G>6SN7 adapters from Poland (better plastic and wire than China, don't you know). 6 6F8G tubes, all supposedly NOS (one, an RCA VT99 I was assured was originally installed on the Enola Gay, just kidding). $450 worth of tubes later, I'm pretty pleased with my headphone rig.

Enter Jot 2. I purchased this on introduction, as I'd been curious about balanced, and I wanted a solid state amp for the summer. From the beginning, I liked the slam the Jot had over my Lyr 3 for classic rock, but I preferred the Lyr for Jazz, Blues, Female vocals. Somewhere, maybe here at head-fi, I read that someone was using the Lyr3 as a pre-amp.

I configured my Jot2 to take the pre-amp from the Lyr3, and started trying tubes (as a pre-amp). I found several of my more expensive 6F8G/VT99 tubes very nice, but the heat transfer isn't great in the summer. I tried the 6SN7 tubes. The Tung Sol was mediocre. The NOS Sylvania was a hit. The equal of several of my much more expensive 6F8G/VT99 valves.

I don't know if my explanation helps you in any way. Even if one uses the exact same equipment, and listens to the same music, we all have different ears, and different expectations.

I'm very pleased with the Jot2/Lyr3 combo. The best I've ever heard, to this point.

A strange observance. I've recently found Woo Audio adverts littered around my home.

Be careful. The rabbit is always there.
Of all the preamps that Schiit offers and not being able to afford the $950 Freya +, would you recommend the Lyr3 as a preamp to be connected to a solid state power amp and floor standing speakers. I don't need Saga's 5 inputs or remote control and it is too much like a SYS (which I use now). It would also give me a great headphone amp and I would add the MM stage for my turntable. One tube only and 3 devices in one it looks hard to beat but would it blow up my speakers if there is a power outage or would I be keeping it on low voltage to safeguard against this. Does low voltage affect both the RCA outs and headphone outs or just the latter. Or is voltage spikes on shut off an anomaly for some production Lyr3's and something I don't have to worry about.

P.S. I didn't realize the Schiit upgrade queue was for all Schiit products. I just dropped from position 45 to zero in a week, so off my Bifrost goes for the $200 upgrade. Hope it sounds as good as the reviews here for the Bifrost 2.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #2,314 of 4,879
Of all the preamps that Schiit offers and not being able to afford the $950 Freya +, would you recommend the Lyr3 as a preamp to be connected to a solid state power amp and floor standing speakers. I don't need Saga's 5 inputs or remote control and it is too much like a SYS (which I use now). It would also give me a great headphone amp and I would add the MM stage for my turntable. One tube only and 3 devices in one it looks hard to beat but would it blow up my speakers if there is a power outage or would I be keeping it on low voltage to safeguard against this. Does low voltage affect both the RCA outs and headphone outs or just the latter. Or is voltage spikes on shut off an anomaly for some production Lyr3's and something I don't have to worry about.

P.S. I didn't realize the Schiit upgrade queue was for all Schiit products. I just dropped from position 45 to zero in a week, so off my Bifrost goes for the $200 upgrade. Hope it sounds as good as the reviews here for the Bifrost 2.
Do you have an original bifrost? the bifrost 2 is a new design with interchangeable boards . There are updates available for the original but there are some that look to be unavailable on the original bifrost.

Aug 14, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #2,315 of 4,879
Do you have an original bifrost? the bifrost 2 is a new design with interchangeable boards . There are updates available for the original but there are some that look to be unavailable on the original bifrost.
Yes, my order history shows I purchased it in 2012 or 2013 and have made 14 Schiit purchases overall incl all the upgrades for the Bifrost and now I am getting the UNison USB card installed. I realize that the power supply may not be as good as the Bifrost 2 and I only need RCA out, besides the Canadian price with shipping on the Bifrost 2 is $950 vs the $380 round trip all in cost of the upgrade, Money saved can buy me a preamp. Besides I'm 'attached' to the original and its upgradeability.

Aug 16, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #2,316 of 4,879
I realize that traditionally a BF2 is paired with a Jot2, but I’m a little concerned about usable volume range with my efficient LCD-X’s. Singxer’s amp has much more usable volume range, I believe.

Has anyone paired the Bifrost 2 with a Singxer SA-1?

Aug 20, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #2,318 of 4,879
Thinking of upgrading my DAC to a new Yggy. Read through the past 50 pages.... I have a BiFrost II paired with a Mjolnir 2 w/Matched Pair Amperex JAN 7308/E188CC Gold Pins pushing through either 650's or most of the time 800S's.

Thoughts from those of you that have had the BF2 going to the Yggy with a similar setup if it is worth it or just keep what I have.

Thanks for any insight...

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #2,319 of 4,879
Thinking of upgrading my DAC to a new Yggy. Read through the past 50 pages.... I have a BiFrost II paired with a Mjolnir 2 w/Matched Pair Amperex JAN 7308/E188CC Gold Pins pushing through either 650's or most of the time 800S's.

Thoughts from those of you that have had the BF2 going to the Yggy with a similar setup if it is worth it or just keep what I have.

Thanks for any insight...
Everything I've read is the HD 650s aren't enough headphone to make use of all the extra detail the Yggy provides. If you plan on using a speaker system or the 800S exclusively, then the differences are quite audible.

Aug 25, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #2,320 of 4,879
I have my Lokius sandwiched between my BF2 (bottom) and Jot2 (top) with no problems.

Update: I recently modified my Schiit stack. If I listen 4 or more hours the Schiit stack was getting bloody hot so I added ½” rubber feet between each piece of Schiit and temps came way down. Oddly enough the biggest heat contributor is the Lokius.
Schitt Stack With Spacers.jpg
Do you recall what store you purchased these rubber feet from?

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #2,321 of 4,879
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #2,322 of 4,879
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S47D52G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
No need to remove the OEM feet they fit inside these when flipped up-side-down like I did. Note: the Lokius front feet are very close to the front edge, so the new feet are directly behind them.
Thank you, and for the heads up. I have the same stack and I was having trouble finding something with an opening large enough to cover the existing feet. I didn’t want to remove them. :)

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #2,324 of 4,879

Users who are viewing this thread

Back