Schiit Asgard 2 Fuse
May 30, 2014 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

RD6320

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

Tis my first post so be gentle, I'm hoping you guys can help me! 

I bought a second hand Schiit Asgard2 the other day which turned out to be a US 115VAC version (I'm in the UK on 230V).  When it came it had some huge transformer and plug block MacGyvered to the plug to step the voltage down.  Unfortunately, although it works, the transformer buzzes like crazy and gets a bit too hot for comfort.  I googled the make and model of the transformer and apparently it is only designed to be used for a short period or it will overheat and cut out which is a pain.

After some extensive trawling of the internet, I found there are jumpers that can be altered inside the Asgard unit to change the transformer over from US 115v to UK 230v which should be simple enough.  I was wondering whether anybody had tried this modification and whether it works, and if so what type (slow/fast blow) and rating of fuse I would need to change the current one to so it will be compatible?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rich

May 30, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 19
Can't tell you for sure about the jumpers, but it's a common feature in many amps.

As for the fuse, that's easy. Power=volts × current, so if the supply voltage is doubled, then you need to cut the amperage rating of the fuse in half. If Schiit used a 500ma fuse at 115V, then you need a 250ma fuse at 230V. (Don't worry about whether it's really 110V or 220V - the math difference is not enough to affect the rating of the fuse.)

May 30, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 19
I did this morning but I wasn't expecting an answer so soon, they just replied now.  Can't complain at that for customer service.

I'm glad I can get it sorted now, it is a fantastic amp with my K702s.

Thanks very much for your help Tomb!

It’s a 1A fast-blow fuse, 5 x 20mm. Please note that changing the fuse to any non-qualified (audiophile) version will void the warranty.
  Nick T.

Schiit Tech
tech@schiit.com

May 30, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #5 of 19
  Please note that changing the fuse to any non-qualified (audiophile) version will void the warranty.

I like this line. 

A DIY turned MOT who shall remain nameless told me he once sold an amp to a guy who liked fuses. 
A few weeks later the guy called him up asking where he gets his fuses... 
The builder asked why, and was told that his customer bought and tested alllll sorts of fuses and in the end liked the one that the amp came with the best. 
It was from Radio-Shack. 

May 20, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 19
Hi! I have the same problem as you had. I bought Asgard2 which turned out to be a US 115VAC version but I'm living in the Lithuania there is 230VAC. I searched info and have found that you had changed the voltage from 115v to 230v. Could you explain how you did that?
I asked for help schiit but there is they answer "I’m sorry but for legal and liability reasons, we do not provide instructions on how to alter our products. It is against our no user serviceable parts clause."

May 21, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 19
Oh whoops, the warrenty is voided? That doesnt sound good at all man. I would just avoid the issue and leave it be.

I do know of TweekGeeks that will purchase old equipment. They have these cutting edge/brand new tech SteinMusic Harmonizers. Check em out. Verry cool.

Or, hire an electrician to put in a 230 Volt outlet. Clothes dryers and some refridgerators use that. USA homes can supply a 230 outlet using both of the hot feed phases to the house. Phase error aside that is.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 19
Sorry to crash in to this thread like this folks but how do you do this this? Turn 115VAC asgard to work on 230V power? I am having a serious problem with this with my bad local electricity and asgard. I posted the question earlier before i found this thread.

Dec 3, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #12 of 19
How did you do this? I am pretty excited and happy to know that there is a way now.
I can't find enough documentation or photos on the Schiit site. Apparently, they're on Version #3 of the Asgard. We don't know what version of Asgard you have, but it doesn't matter - we need to see inside.

If you can take some photos of the PCB inside, specifically - at the line power input section around the IEC inlet - I might be able to help. I can't do a thing if there's nothing that shows the insides.

Dec 3, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 19
I can't find enough documentation or photos on the Schiit site. Apparently, they're on Version #3 of the Asgard. We don't know what version of Asgard you have, but it doesn't matter - we need to see inside.

If you can take some photos of the PCB inside, specifically - at the line power input section around the IEC inlet - I might be able to help. I can't do a thing if there's nothing that shows the insides.
Thank you so much, i will open the asgard and post photos. What i have is asgard 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back