• Purchase ESS ES9028 add in card

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They are pretty much the same

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sep 8, 2022 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Johnnyde94

Head-Fier
Hello there, I was wondering if anyone has had the chance to tell if there is a major difference between the AK4493 vs ES9028 add-in card for the Jot OG. I currently have a OG Jot that im upgrading to the the Jot 2, my plans are to bring the Jot OG to my office. Idk if I should bother changing out the DAC card that I currently have in the Jot. I know the newer ESS card also does have unison usb c so i know that right there makes it more complicated than just "the dac." Especially since from what I have read from Jason Stoddard the ESS is more like of a microprocessor then a traditional dac. That means in theory a company like schiit can roll their own filters into the chip and get better sound.

If I were to go with the ESS, anyone have any recommendations for a good USB C cable?

Sep 8, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 9
Apparently, the AKM chips generally add a little more warmth to the sound than ESS chips. To say the least, new AKM DAC chip models are supposed to be in production right now, leaving older AKM DAC supplies scarce. If you want, you can sell your old Jotunheim with the AKM DAC module at a premium to a friend/family member/co-worker/acquaintance, then buy the Jotunheim 2 with the ESS DAC module.

Sep 8, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 9
Interesting I may cancel my order for the ESS card then and just keep my AKM. I also am assuming you can add the ESS card to the Jot 1

I am not sure if the ESS and AKM DAC cards share the same pin array and if the Jotunheim 1 and Jotunheim 2 share the same card sockets.

Sep 8, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 9
Based on what they tell you, it may be possible for Schiit to open your Jotunheim 1 to take out the AKM DAC Card and install it into your Jotunheim 2 and even have the 2-year warranty intact. Just tell them your reasons on why you want them to do this, like the reasons above and the AKM Factory in Japan catching fire in November of 2020, along with all of the other DAC chip supply issues.

Sep 8, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 9
I have a bifrost 24/2 card on the way so I probably won’t open up the jot 2. I’ll always have the bifrost 2 with the jot2. The jot 1 will be the one to upgrade if I do. I wonder if anyone has put the ESS in the jot 1 yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back