Scarlett 2i2 as sound card - and what about sound signature?
Oct 13, 2017 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Head-Fier
I have seen quite a few posts regarding using the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as a sound card for a pc. Most of them seems to favor the 2i2 over other similarly priced, or cheaper amp's/DAC's.

Right now, I am listening to music through a pair of Verisonix N501 through a Aune X1 DAC.
However, to me the sound seems to be of very low quality - it is blanketed and not transparent, and I have to make use of a quite heavily tweaked EQ (Equalizer APO) to make it worth listening to. I have also had this problem with M50x's and DT990 PRO 250 Ohms, and through a LOT of trial and error with other equipment, I have come to the conclusion that my X1 is to blame. However, with a tweaked EQ, the N501's sound amazing, and it bothers me that I have to use an EQ to be able to enjoy listening to music.

So I have been advised to replace my X1 with a 2i2, but I am not sure what sound signature it has, if any. Is it totally flat and neutral? (and therefore not for me), and in that case, what other external sound card would be better to get?
Is there a device that can "unleash the potential" of my N501's without use of software - and preferrably cost no more than 150$? Also, it has to be available in Europe (Denmark, to be more specific).

Any advice is appreciated.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 9
If you don't need it for more than 1 mic and 1 instrument, just get the Solo 2. It's smaller and does the same exact thing, I use it for gaming and love it! I haven't quite tested it with hi res music to determine it's sound signature but the sound quality has never bothered me so if you're not extremely picky, it should be fine. It just doesn't put out lots of power for high impedance cans

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 9
I would not consider myself to be picky - I have just been wondering why I haven't been able to "reproduce" the results that the reviewers of both the N501's and the X1 have had, when it comes to audio playback quality. If it matters, I stream music via Tidal in their "Hifi"-quality.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 9
I have seen quite a few posts regarding using the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as a sound card for a PC. Most of them seems to favor the 2i2 over other similarly priced, or cheaper amp's/DAC's.
Right now, I am listening to music through a pair of Verisonix N501 through a Aune X1 DAC.
However, to me the sound seems to be of very low quality - it is blanketed and not transparent, and I have to make use of a quite heavily tweaked EQ (Equalizer APO) to make it worth listening to. I have also had this problem with M50x's and DT990 PRO 250 Ohms, and through a LOT of trial and error with other equipment, I have come to the conclusion that my X1 is to blame. However, with a tweaked EQ, the N501's sound amazing, and it bothers me that I have to use an EQ to be able to enjoy listening to music.
So I have been advised to replace my X1 with a 2i2, but I am not sure what sound signature it has, if any. Is it totally flat and neutral? (and therefore not for me), and in that case, what other external sound card would be better to get?
Is there a device that can "unleash the potential" of my N501's without use of software - and preferably cost no more than 150$? Also, it has to be available in Europe (Denmark, to be more specific).
Any advice is appreciated.
I really doubt (my two cents) for $150 your going to find something (DAC/amp) to make a noticeable improvement over the Aune X1.
Save up and buy the Audio-GD NFB-11.28 (about 320 Euros shipped to your door).
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm

Get the free program Foobar2000 and install the WASAPI component, try it for music, see if there is any improvement.

So you live in Denmark, does that mean you spend your days playing with Legos and listening to the band Aqua?

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 9
I really doubt (my two cents) for $150 your going to find something (DAC/amp) to make a noticeable improvement over the Aune X1.
Save up and buy the Audio-GD NFB-11.28 (about 320 Euros shipped to your door).
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm

Get the free program Foobar2000 and install the WASAPI component, try it for music, see if there is any improvement.

So you live in Denmark, does that mean you spend your days playing with Legos and listening to the band Aqua?
I have already installed foobar2000, but does it work with streaming music online? Thank you for the advice on what to purchase. Haha no, I do neither of those things :-D

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 9
I have already installed foobar2000, but does it work with streaming music online? Thank you for the advice on what to purchase. Haha no, I do neither of those things :-D
Foobar is a player for native files, not streaming. Perhaps try downloading some hi res files and see if those sound better. +1 for WASAPI or ASIO

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 9
Even if it sounds better, it won't solve my problem with the music I normally listen to not sounding good - and downloading all of the music I listen to as hi res files is NOT an option :)

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #8 of 9
I can understand you not wanting to play with Legos, but you do not listen to the band Aqua?

Whatever program you use to play your streaming music, have you doubled check all it settings?
Can you install a WASAPI component for that program?
WASAPI helps keep the computer from getting its hooks (tweaks?) into the audio stream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back