Scariest movies around
Nov 28, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #76 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for me Event Horizon was pretty scary. Just that one scene in the airvents..scarred me for life.

yup, plus Joely Richardson is hot so that makes it even better.

"she won't let you leave" muauhahaha

Nov 28, 2006 at 9:14 AM Post #77 of 82
Sadly, I've yet to watch a horror film that scared me. My gf will attest to this: a few weeks ago, she complained to her sister that I tend to chuckle during scenes that terrify everyone else. Apparently, my abjection's reserved for everyday life.

(Nightmares are another matter entirely.)

Horror films feel to me like parades of gruesome ideas: resonant or laughable, pungent or bland, surprising or disappointingly familiar. The question of fear never arises, since my interests are aesthetic.

(Perhaps people like yours unruly, who are actually comforted by the nuances of horror films, require a different kind of catharsis. Not for us, that rush of ferris wheel fear. Instead, we need a deluge of black, an overflow of crimson, to submerge the dolent hearses of our pasts.)

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #78 of 82
Nov 29, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #79 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity what do the kids today think of ol' Night of the Hunter and The Bad Seed?

While I can't answer for "kids" (cr-e-e-a-k), I can offer a minute Barry of critical perspective.

If in retrospect Night of the Hunter seems a rare black pearl, it might be due to the work of veterans in special hats: Actor Charles Laughton directed, and Pulitzer-festooned James Agee scripted. The style is unusually literary, the characterization, eccentric and dark for the time.

By modern standards, many of Hunter's transitions seem unnecessary, the dialogue, superfluous and overly cheery. This is due, I think, to multimedia conditioning. Our branded gothic/horror films now have generic titles like "Darkness" and proceed with spare dialogue, pseudo-surprising voice-overs, mannered mood and obvious homage. The idea of modern box office is to expect the film to do the audience's work and leave nothing to interpretation; older films often foregrounded ambiguity and subtext. Just the other day, I watched Shadow of a Doubt with friends and found they had no stomach for the coyness of Hitchcock or the suburban tangents of (screenwriter) Thornton Wilder. My friends didn't enjoy Hitchcock's slow subversion of the ordinary, nor did they find worthwhile subtext in the well-adjusted dinner table patter. All they wanted was to focus on Joseph Cotton's psychopath and his occasional grim pronouncements. I disagree, of course, but I appreciate their point of view.

Just so, the sunnier parts of Hunter might leave some viewers craving more carnage. Many of us might find Shelley Winters's lake mannequin body double annoying rather than amusing or scary, and Mitchum's character might seem more Dean Martin than Dean Corll. (Addicts of the conventions of the present will conclude the film is obvious and overdone even as they ignore worse excesses in any Tim Burton flick.)

Even so, Hunter is a masterpiece of its kind.

The Bad Seed is something else entirely: a film that is entertaining for reasons that are sometimes unintentional. It is a cross between "The Small Assassin" and Baby Doll.

Nov 29, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #80 of 82
The thing I really like about the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre (and something a lot of people have commented on, too) is that you never really see anything really gory. You just *think* you see it, but in actuality there is very little blood in the film at all. TCM is amazing for this very reason.

The beginning of Final Destination bothers me a lot, mainly due to how much traveling I do.
frown.gif

I'm rarely more tense than during take-offs and landings.

Nov 29, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #81 of 82
Hostel-- the most recent best scariest movie (to me)- made me feel scared for about 1 hour after watching it.
Ichi The Killer-- a little bit sadistic
One Missed Call
Exorcist (original)--pretty scary, esp. the voice of the demon.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre--pretty good also.

I've watched quite a lot of scary movies, but I couldn't remember the rest.. Maybe because most scary movies don't scare me. I don't know anymore good scary movies. Does anyone know any scary movies that are better than Hostel?

Nov 30, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #82 of 82
Last time a movie seriously creeped me out was watching the first two Halloween movies one after the other, in the dark. I have a feeling these two films would work better together than separately, the slow moodyness of the first building to the inhuman slaughter of the second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back