Scariest movies around
Aug 22, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #46 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
[size=large]WARNING! SLIGHT SPOILER[/size]

Just slight, I knew what was coming, so Miike's main scare tactic (well the glaringly obvious one) wasn't effective. I'd say *major* spoiler!

Aug 22, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #48 of 82
well the OP did not ask this question "What movie or movies is/are so scary you will not ever watch them?"

For me I cannot watch scary movies - when I was 10-13 yrs old I would go see: Don't Look in the Basement, Burnt Offerings, The Texas Chainsaw (original), The Living Dead and all other kind of scary movies. I would stay at home with all the lights on in one room near the front door and say, "I will neer watch another scary movie!!" Next week I would be right back watching another scary movie.

Since then I realized my limits (and only watch scary movies because my wife likes them):

Here are movies I will never watch:
  1. The Exorcist (seeing that girl waddle down those steps or vomit)
  2. Saw (I understand at the end the badguy just walks away; also these people want to get out so bad the tear through another person's guts to find a key?!)
  3. The Ring (I might try it to see how scary it is - if it is scary then I would turn it off)

It's all about the sound effects and placing the characters in a familiar setting (camp, home, etc) and making them stay in the situationn vs. get up and roll.

BTW, just hearing the "supposed" true story behind Blair Witch scared me... but I would watch it.

My wife was watching "Open Water" just yesterday (I was not sure what it was as I was doing other things). It was not scary to me but I did think, "Why doesn't the guy on the camera filming them help them ... Geez some people"
eggosmile.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #50 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
Has anyone here seen texas chainsaw massacre(original) or halloween? Which one should I see first and which one is scarier, bloodier? (no spoilers please...)

halloween has almost no blood. it is all done with suspense.

tcm is far more bloody and disturbing. both good choices. i'd watch both.

Nov 24, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #51 of 82
just watched halloween... It was really scary, maybe due to the fact that I couldn't watch in one CD because the library DVD is ****ed up with scratches and crap... Whats a good horror film without a lot of gore that I will be a good choice after watching halloween?

Nov 25, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #55 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by absentee00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blair witch project

Добро пожаловать к головк-head-fi, absentee00.
Benvenuto al testa-head-fi, absentee00.

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #56 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idsynchrono_24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Suspiria is just one of the most effective and out and out creepy movie I've ever seen. Dario Argento filmed nearly the entire movie in primary colors, making even simple scenes of dialogue exchange seem tense and eerie.
Id

You beat me to it. I must say that "Suspiria" is one if not the scariest films I've ever seen. The music to the film (by Italian metal band) gives deep impression of horror. Dario Argento is a unique in the way he makes his movies. The film itself is a milestone in horror movie history and a must see for our fellow american friends.

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #57 of 82
i watched the "dawn of the dead" remake this weekend again. i have to say my respect for this film has grown. while i'm not a huge fan of the cinematography (a big deal for me), the movie is expertly made. look for cameos from tom savini and the star of the original dawn. the opening and closing credits are very jarring as well.

"hey! we got a twitcher!"

Nov 26, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #58 of 82
Two more recent ones-

High Tension- several people didn't like it, but I haven't seen such an intense movie in years.

Wolf Creek- very authentic and real, no typical horror movie ridiculousness or unlikely Hollywood endings.

I meant to add Suspiria to my Netflix queue a long time ago and didn't- thanks for the reminder.

Nov 27, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #59 of 82
ok horror flick experts, can anyone name this movie I'm thinking of? It had a creepy guy who had a skin fetish. He would capture people and skin them. He kept this one girl at the bottom of a well, and he had some sort of small white dog. The one highlight I remember is him lowering skin lotion in a bucket, and the lines "it puts the lotion on its skin, or it gets the hose again"

Nov 27, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #60 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok horror flick experts, can anyone name this movie I'm thinking of? It had a creepy guy who had a skin fetish. He would capture people and skin them. He kept this one girl at the bottom of a well, and he had some sort of small white dog. The one highlight I remember is him lowering skin lotion in a bucket, and the lines "it puts the lotion on its skin, or it gets the hose again"

Damn, it's on the tip of my tongue.

BTW: I'm in front of a mirror "tucking" as I post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back