Jun 3, 2005 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Feanor

1000+ Head-Fier
I got the following email today:

Title: You order: Sony DSC-F828 8.0MP Digital Camera

The mail:

"Sony DSC-F828 8.0MP Digital Camera

Your order # 12405 has been accepted for the amount 840.00$
Your card will be charged in that amount .Thank you for your purchase.

You can check the order in your profile.

http://******.biz" <-- link removed because of infection (sorry, firefoz and norton didnt let anything through)

All this from "Brittney@tamil.com" , with a name of "Ferdinand Elmore"

Now, its pretty obvious I did not order enything from Elmore here, so this could mean two things: Somebody did, with my mom's CC info (only used on secure sites till now), or this is a prank / scam.
Is this a popular way to scam people? Can I expect more email from unknown indian sounding addresses? The address and site are both unavailable, so it seems like a scam.

Jun 3, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 7
Well, call up the cc customer service and find out asap. Plus, i would never click on the link of any suspicious email. I've been getting suspicious emails from spoof paypal addy's lately.

Jun 3, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 7
Considering the source for that page contains only a link for something ending in 'installer', I'd be rather suspicious. Probably a Trojan or something. Firefox completely ignored it, of course.

If you're interested, his address (assuming he didn't lie when registering the domain... there's a ton of info, which all checks out, so I'm assuming he didn't), cell phone number, email, and lots of other things are freely available through WHOIS. What the heck, here's a satellite picture of his house, or rather, the area he lives in. Out in the country, it seems, so pretty crappy resolution. The whole town is about 2 blocks long.

Jun 3, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 7
pages are infected with bloodhound exploit.10

stay away...

fullsize.biz is infected!!!

Jun 3, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
pages are infected with bloodhound exploit.10

stay away...

do you mean the fullsize.biz link, or the whois link? either way i'm not clicking on either!

Jun 3, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
do you mean the fullsize.biz link, or the whois link? either way i'm not clicking on either!

The fullsize.biz, I'm sure. InterNIC has never been hacked, to my knowledge. At least not their site.

Jun 4, 2005 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the help guys, I found out that our card has a limit below that amount, so no problem. But, this f!cking scam will probably make my mom not give me her card anymore for online purchases. EH.

BTW, that is just so cool that I can actually see his town/house on the net. The next step is the NUKE button...
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back