SB Audigy vs. Santa Cruz
Jun 10, 2002 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

wallstreet

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to get a good set of cans to use with my computer for both listening and gaming. I keep hearing on the forums that the SB Live/Audigy are junk and that the Santa Cruz are the best for an entry level sound card. So should I ditch my newer Audigy and get an older Santa Cruz?

It would really help if I could see some links to reviews that compare the Audigy to the Santa Cruz. Thanks.

Jun 10, 2002 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 25
It is generally accepted that the Santa Cruz is better for playing music, while the Audigy has better gaming (EAX) support. I'm not sure if anyone would suggest that you actually spend an extra $50+ to go from an Audigy to a Santa Cruz, though. The Live is crap, but the Audigy is actually (from what I've read) pretty close to the SC.

Jun 10, 2002 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 25
Well, due to Sensaura headphone positioning and the Virtual Ear program that lets you customize headphone positioning *to your exact headphones and ears*, the Cruz is commonly known to be the best headphone gaming card out there....

Here's a Santa Cruz review that compares the sound quality of the Cruz to pretty much everything...

http://www.epinions.com/content_55647309444

Jun 10, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 25
Well I might have to oppurtunity to sell the Audigy and get a Santa, and not loose much money at all on the deal, so thats why I was asking. I'll read up on more stuff, and let you know what I decide. Thanks.

Jun 10, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 25
Right now my cans are KSC-35s ... I plan on getting a closed set of cans (around $100) in the future though for both music and gaming.
I guess I play mostly new games ... the oldest that I have and play every now and then is Total Annihilation from 97 ... I don't mess with any of the old DOS stuff. I don't think that drivers supported by old games should be a real issue.

Jun 11, 2002 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 25
Oh, sorry I completely misunderstood. Yes, I guess I will be playing some old games then ... actually all of my stuff is old except Morrowind, and Warcraft III which I plan to get out right after it comes out.

Jun 11, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 25
Well, EAX Advanced HD will confer a good amount of advantages, and I hear that the headphone positioning in the Audigy with those games is indeed quite up to par...

Jun 11, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #10 of 25
wrong forum? This is the headphones forum. I think there's a more appropriate section for this thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #12 of 25
I just replaced my Live with a Santa Cruz. First thing I notice is that I can have all channels unmuted and still have no hissing. One small problem, where is the bass?

Jun 12, 2002 at 9:05 AM Post #13 of 25
You really can't get the same quality sound out of a sub $100 sound card compared to something like a real CDP. You need to move upto at least someting like an Audiophile 2496 (plus maybe a DAC).

Jun 13, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by markjia
You really can't get the same quality sound out of a sub $100 sound card compared to something like a real CDP. You need to move upto at least someting like an Audiophile 2496 (plus maybe a DAC).

That wouldn't be much use for gaming (which the original poster wants). No EAX support at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back