Saw the other Beyerdynamic amp thread, but I have other questions
Mar 12, 2006 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Hellacious D

100+ Head-Fier
It seems to me that the bigger the amp, the higher the price. This is hard for me to understand. I would expect the bigger amps to be cheaper because you're not paying for someone to cram tons of electronics into a small space. My main question is: What's a good, cheap amp for the dt880s if portability means nothing to me? I would think there'd be a cheap sr-71 like amp that was about 10 times the size. If there isn't I'd just like some advice for choosing an amp. I'm looking to spend no more than 200.
Thanks,
Jeff

Mar 12, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 6
Bigger amps mean bigger(PS), better parts among other factors. Finding an amp for under $200 that will drive the 880 is a tough one.

I'm no amp guru, I have none in mind right now...maybe a diy.

Mar 12, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
Bigger amps mean bigger(PS), better parts among other factors. Finding an amp for under $200 that will drive the 880 is a tough one.

Not at all IMO... I'm using a Pimeta with dual stacked buffers, OPA627s powered by 24 volts with a gain of "6" and it drives them quite nicely. Nice, full and well-rounded sound with great dynamics, and I never turn the volume knob past 10:00.

This exact configuration should run somebody just under $200 new, provided they could find a builder (pickin's are getting slim for Pimetas).

Mar 12, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Not at all IMO... I'm using a Pimeta with dual stacked buffers, OPA627s powered by 24 volts with a gain of "6" and it drives them quite nicely. Nice, full and well-rounded sound with great dynamics, and I never turn the volume knob past 10:00.

This exact configuration should run somebody just under $200 new, provided they could find a builder (pickin's are getting slim for Pimetas).

I'm not into the -find an amp builder scene- so I wasn't aware of the custom options...or DIY is sort of the same idea.

What batteries do you use to get 24 volts? ...anyway that's good to know that for $200 an amp can be found do drive the 880.

I'm looking at a SM3 to use with mine. That should do it eh?

Mar 13, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 6
The Xin supermini3 drives the DT-880s for $200. But its not as good as the M3 for $300.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back