Saving up for the Shure SRH1540, want to buy another headphone with it
Sep 10, 2014 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

iCupboard

100+ Head-Fier
Dear everyone,

I made up my mind and I am saving up for the SRH 1540, which I will use for home use. I won't be looking for an open headphone, because I have lots of background noise. The SRH 1540 is exactly what I am looking for, soundwise.

Now the only thing I need is a cheaper all-round headphone that I am carrying everywhere.

I initially thought about the AKG K550 or the Shure SRH 840. But I thought that would be unwise, because those would sound too much alike.

Now I thought about the Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohm as the allround headphone to carry everywhere.

Could you guys elaborate on this choice? Which would be wiser to do? 

My music preference is Indie folk, folk and audiobooks. But I do listen to everything else, except for maybe rap.

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 10
The dt770 80 ohm's recessed mids and size may be a problem for a portable all round headphone.
You might be able to find the yamaha pro 400 and 500 for under 200.They fold and come with a carrying case.
Theres also the donscorpio dolphin which can be found on penon audio (also comes with case). It has a little soundstage mod in the asian headphone threas where you take off the earpads and then remove the foam on the driver (but not the foam attached to the earpad).

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 10
The Yahamaha's were headphones I tried, but I can not bring myself to like it. Really painful on my head.

I am currently deciding between the dt770s from Beyerdynamic or the Shure SRH840, and while I am saving up for SRH1540 I think I like the sound of the SRH850 more than the DT770 just because I mostly listen to voices anyway.

Sep 11, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #7 of 10
You are judging the higher end headphones of both brands the wrong way. I can tell you that the DT770 (low end) and the T1 (high end) sound nothing alike, and I'm sure the same can be said about the SRH850 and 1540. You really need to try them before you buy if possible. 

Sep 11, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #8 of 10
I've listened to the SRH840s just yet, on coincidence. They really sounded good and I've liked the sound. The only concern I have is the build quality. They felt really sturdy while I used them but I noticed there is a lot of plastic going on. Could anyoone elaborate? If this headphone has a good build quality I will order these headphones tonight.

Thanks all!

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #9 of 10
  I've listened to the SRH840s just yet, on coincidence. They really sounded good and I've liked the sound. The only concern I have is the build quality. They felt really sturdy while I used them but I noticed there is a lot of plastic going on. Could anyoone elaborate? If this headphone has a good build quality I will order these headphones tonight.

Thanks all!

SRH840 are an excellent headphone, honestly I also own the SRH940 and it's a clean toss up between them which is $100 more. The earlier SRH models like 440,840 have a decent built quality, so don't be confused with the later SRH models like 940, 550DJ and 750DJ which are more plasticky and adapted quite a few reports of cracking headbands. the 440 and 840 are much stronger. 840 are an exceptional headphone, I prefer them for raw detail over HD600 and DT880 (detail)

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 10
I just pulled the trigger and bought the Shure SRH840!
Thanks for all your help, even though I was quite demanding. I will come back to you guys in this topic when I listened to it. I can't give any technical review, though. I am not an audiophile expert or whatever. Just what I think of the sound and stuff. :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back