Satellite radio has started!
Sep 26, 2001 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jim

100+ Head-Fier
Just saw this article on yahoo

Yahoo

also

Seattle times

Sort of weird how all the radio stations are centralized and part of a single company. It said in the article that all 100 stations will be broadcast from XM's headquarters.

Anyone here planning to get into digital radio?

Oct 5, 2001 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 8
I am interested in XM radio too. I live in Washington DC area. I think their site says it should be available in November. Anybody know about the need for antenna? One HUGE problem with listening to radio in office buildings is the crapty reception inside these commercial structures. Will XM require outside antenna to pull in the signal?

Oct 5, 2001 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by johnnylexus
Will XM require outside antenna to pull in the signal?

From the VERY little I've read, it will vary. It appears that the antenas are for frequencies in excess of 1Ghz (can anyone post a link to a good info souce). And since the signals are coming DOWN to instead of accross the surface of the earth, reception near windows and upper floors of buildings should be very good. Unless you are in the basement of the Pentigon, you should pick it up without a problem

I'm listening to the SiriusRadio sample over a DSL connection and it shows to be 44.1kbs. The sound is OK, but not CD quality or even really good (256k+) MP3 quaility from their samples.

I just wonder how many people are going to want to pay $150+ for another piece of equipment, and $10-13mo for it. I might go for it if I drove alot, but I don't know how much I would want it for the house.

If anyone gets it, please post your thoughts.

Oct 6, 2001 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 8
satellite radio can kiss my ass.I will not pay for what I get for free now.I listen to the radio daily and bounce from classic rock to jazz to oldies to progressive.
Trust me,if this ever takes hold you will see the end of free radio.The same **** happened to television when cable took hold.Even though the stats say the power levels of the transmitters are the same I can tell you from experience,living it , that stations that would come in with friggin bunny ears when I was younger do not come in with a damn 12 foot monster antenna that I have for when the cable lines go down in a storm.I have that bitch amped at both ends and still don't get a whole lot.And playing with the antenna rotar is like getting chapped lips.DRIVE YOU FRKN CRAZY
And what "suit" will be choosing the programming "for the masses",you know,the little people.Every damn time you get a centralized product you end up with less choice

Rant over
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2001 at 5:57 AM Post #6 of 8
Well I am considering it for the reason that the Rickster cites as a problem of satellite radio; choice. I also listen to a lot of FM radio. However, the choice around here is quite limited and the stations that do play music I like don't come in very well, even with my rooftop antenna. Hopefully, XM radio will expand my choices just as Satellite TV gave me freedom from the local cable company (Don't get me started on that one
mad.gif
). If I don't like it I'll simply cancel my subscription and sell the receiver on eBay. As far as suits choosing the programming, most of the FM stations around here are owned by conglomerates so the programming is also chosen by suits in a far distant land
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2001 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 8
I really enjoy FM radio and I guess I am luckier than some with the choices available,everything from classical to jazz to alternative.But I have done some driving in parts of the nation where the radio sucked,very few station and the ones that came in were unlistenable either due to music selection (someone say C&W<don't yell at me man) or bad quality of signal.The second one baffles me because it is usually in areas where it is dead flat terrain ,nothing blocking the signal-so transmitter strength must be low.So yes,I can understand those wanting ANY kind of radio.
But you really get screwed in another way.
On my way to work I listen to the morning shows on radio,weather,traffic reports so I know where to deviate from my intended path-you get NONE of that with "canned" radio (pre-programmed).The antics of the nutcases that do morning radio have me in tears laughing some mornings and it takes my mind off of where I am going (WORK,they call it that for a reason!).And as I said,I could not do without my traffic reports.
My only REAL bitch is this guy bob.He owns a chain of discount furniture stores and is on local TV/radio ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME
mad.gif

His whining ass gets on my nerves to the point of wanting to scream.Point ? Take the good with the bad,live radio is where it is at but they have bills too,and the "bobs" are required to maintain radio free america.Good with the bad,how **** works

free rick now

Oct 7, 2001 at 9:01 AM Post #8 of 8
Satellite radio sounds to me like that video format. I think I'll rather listen to FM all the time, since there are some really good stations down here. But paying for radio, that's a big no no, even if the sound quality is that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back