satellite radio for a HiFi rig: is it worth bothering?
Mar 16, 2006 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

markot86

500+ Head-Fier
Lately I've been pondering getting a satellite radio service for my headphone rig which will (soon) consist of the GS-1 and the HD650's. I was wondering if anyone has a radio set up and whether it's worth it. What do they encode at? Is it going to sound like crap compared to my lossless/cd collection?

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 9
strictly based on my experience with direct tv and now dishnetwork music channels. they do sound dull, non 3-d, lifeless, and no detail. I put the sound quality between 80's cd and cassette tape.
I haven't heard a satellite radio receiver plugged directly into the stereo though...

but the incredible selection of music as background music during dinner parties more than make up for the ****** sound quality.

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 9
If you're talking XM or Sirius... don't bother unless you like the good ole' days of compression.

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 9
No, don't waste your time or money. I have auditioned the Polk XRt12 and while it does sound more like music than my Delphi Roady2 XM tuner, it still does not sound like a good CD. If you want something for your car, then yes that would be a good application. If you want something like a portable XM Satellite or Sirius Satellite tuner for mobile usage, then yes it would be a pretty neat gizmo. But, for home usage...no.

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 9
there's so much free streaming music online. none of it is cd quality (for free at least), but it's great for background music or if you're studying and can't be bothered to change songs, or just want to hear one type of music for a long time, or try different music.

where sat radio could come into play nicely is a car imho, especially the talk can get you through long driving

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #6 of 9
my twin brother has it and its not worth it. The music sounds like 128 kb with a dull type of sound to it. Also since its coming from so far away the music diffinanlty has missing algerithims. It's just not worth it.

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 9
I remember the advertising for sattelite radio claiming better than FM fidelity. That's NOT happening!
mad.gif
(subscription cancelled)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back