SASH Deux & Tres; impressive planars from Ukraine
Sep 10, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #586 of 1,214
I talked to Sasha about sending some exotic wood to him to have him make some headphones with this wood. He said he would be happy to do it. He’s never worked with this type of wood but didn’t think it would be a problem. I’m thinking Zebra wood or Madagascar Ebony. What wood would sound great with these headphones?
Well, I read about acoustic woods at one point, ebony is supposed to give you a bit dryer sound because of the density, oak is a bit warmer, maple is even warmer but can't remember other woods, sure a quick search would give you a better idea of what woods would give you certain acoustic qualities

But that is really cool, I think I may have to make an order for the 45ohm in the next month or so.

Sep 10, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #587 of 1,214
Well, I read about acoustic woods at one point, ebony is supposed to give you a bit dryer sound because of the density, oak is a bit warmer, maple is even warmer but can't remember other woods, sure a quick search would give you a better idea of what woods would give you certain acoustic qualities

But that is really cool, I think I may have to make an order for the 45ohm in the next month or so.
There are charts for guitar tone woods, but I’m not sure how accurate they will be for headphones. Lawton Audio has a “tone wheel” for headphones. You’ll have to go to the URL to match the wood type. Still not sure what I want to try. Probably Zebra Wood.

https://www.lawtonaudio.com/tonewheel.html

9720EE17-2C82-4E1B-8378-7F14995DE501.png

1BE5AC11-453C-40FE-A18D-FAB320A17060.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #588 of 1,214
Sasha is currently on the works on grills for me. I'll be getting a very open hexagon design and Sasha will try to make it in wood veneer and paint it green like my headphones. This is the design. Hopefully this will really open up the Tres. It already has a large airy soundstage but why not take it further 😉
received_461328652588310.jpeg

Sep 12, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #589 of 1,214
Sasha is currently on the works on grills for me. I'll be getting a very open hexagon design and Sasha will try to make it in wood veneer and paint it green like my headphones. This is the design. Hopefully this will really open up the Tres. It already has a large airy soundstage but why not take it further 😉
Sasha should make the rings earpads rings available to print anywhere, it could be a game changer to swap for other pads

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #590 of 1,214
Yep I put in an order for a set of 16s in blue and have him giving me those grilles too.

Sep 12, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #591 of 1,214
So I've tried searching through this thread and reading some early pages and more recent pages, but I couldn't really find an answer (so my apologies if this has already been answered), but what is the ordering process? I'm not a facebook user, can I just email Sasha using the address on the facebook page? And will using english be okay, or should I try translating it?

His headphones seem really neat and I want to get a set, I'm just a little frozen by uncertainty in the process. Thanks for any potential insights into it!

Sep 12, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #592 of 1,214
So I've tried searching through this thread and reading some early pages and more recent pages, but I couldn't really find an answer (so my apologies if this has already been answered), but what is the ordering process? I'm not a facebook user, can I just email Sasha using the address on the facebook page? And will using english be okay, or should I try translating it?

His headphones seem really neat and I want to get a set, I'm just a little frozen by uncertainty in the process. Thanks for any potential insights into it!
Just send him a pm here in the forum, you can find him in this thread. He is very friendly and will explain you all the details. He is very fluent in english, so don't worry.

Sep 12, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #594 of 1,214

Send a message to @SashaLach here and tell him what you want. He will explain the options and prices and then configure it how you want. No uncertainty to worry about he is a legit honest person and very easy to deal with. The only real issue with ordering for some people is that he uses wise for payment which can be a pita for some. I think he can do a direct bank wire transfer also.

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #595 of 1,214
Just send him a pm here in the forum, you can find him in this thread. He is very friendly and will explain you all the details. He is very fluent in english, so don't worry.
Send a message to @SashaLach here and tell him what you want. He will explain the options and prices and then configure it how you want. No uncertainty to worry about he is a legit honest person and very easy to deal with. The only real issue with ordering for some people is that he uses wise for payment which can be a pita for some. I think he can do a direct bank wire transfer also.
Thank you both for the help, I have placed and order and I'm super excited!

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #596 of 1,214
I've never been a sound stage aficionado. Tried HD800 and thought it sounded unnatural. Maybe I'll try these open grills maybe I won't.
I'm guessing the open grills will widen soundstage but mids will still be forward, once I recieve the grills I'll report back 👍. I personally don't like the HD800s as well. It has amazing clarity and imaging, but the soundstage just always feels vast and too spread out. Not a good thing when a song should be intimate and intense. The Tres does both

Sep 13, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #597 of 1,214
I'm guessing the open grills will widen soundstage but mids will still be forward, once I recieve the grills I'll report back 👍. I personally don't like the HD800s as well. It has amazing clarity and imaging, but the soundstage just always feels vast and too spread out. Not a good thing when a song should be intimate and intense. The Tres does both
I definitely agree, the tres still surprise me, big when it needs it, and real intimate in other songs. They are simply outstanding!

Sep 17, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #598 of 1,214
I finally gave it a shot and took off the two layers of cloth behind the grill on the 45 ohm Tres. Absolutely am loving what I hear. Soundstage is huge now. Can only imagine what it'll sound like with the new grills I'll be getting 😉. I was expecting the sound to become brighter and to hear ringing in the upper highs but no. Sound is the same if not maybe mids come a touch more forward but the openness and width seriously improves. These sound HUGE!!!! Removing those two yellow layers and just keep the black material thats on the actual grill. Sounds so so much better to me. Beast mode activated 💪🔥
20220917_184759.jpg
20220917_184751.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back