Sarah Harmer-- You Were Here SACD (Rounder)
Nov 12, 2002 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Damn! It took FOREVER, but it looks like there's finally a firm release date for the Canadian singer/songwriter's "You Were Here" debut solo album to come out on SACD.

My Sarah Harmer history-- about a year ago I was standing in line at my local Blockbuster renting some movie I've long since forgotten, when on the TV screen came a video for Sarah Harmer's "Basement Apt.". First things first-- hubba hubba! She's very cute in a 30's dust-bowl Depression-era kind of way. Yeah, I know that doesn't count-- but it surely doesn't hurt... That and, oh yeah, her song totally shreds. I immediately got out of line and found her CD in Blockbuster's collection and brought it to the counter. It had that effect on me.

This CD is just fantastic, and maintains a very high-quality female singer-songwriter standard throughout. This is her first solo LP after a few years in a Canadian band called "Weeping Tile". Sound quality is excellent in plain old CD. I just can't wait for the SACD version, and it's been promised FOREVER. But it appears it's finally coming on Nov. 30th: http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo....tem=9&mitem=16

If you have an SACDP, this will be a welcome addition to your collection--check it out!!

Mark

Nov 13, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 6
Yeah, I've heard of Sarah Harmer. She won many kudos from Canadians and Americans (Rolling Stone). Unfortunately, her success up here was somewhat muted in the year of the Nelly Furtado sensation. I've heard her song "The Hideout". Its a great pop song that you can listen to on the road, camping, or coffeehouse or whatever. I really like the peculiar way she ended some of those verses - like a female Gord Downie (Tragically Hip). Have fun with the SACD yer rich basterrrd! ARrrr.

Nov 14, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 6
zoboo,
"The Hideout" is only one of about 8 great songs on this disc even better than that one. If nothing else, you should check out the CD version, you'd love it. As for me, I literally can't wait for the SACD version. Fun, fun, fun! This will likely be the best thing for me that's been released on SACD so far!

BTW: the new SACD version is also a hybrid disc, so there's a regular CD version on the same disc that will play on all standard CDPs.

Mark

Nov 15, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 6
Guess what mark, I believe I have found the source of our apparent disagreement (if you could call it that) in the source vs. amp department. (reference to my over sized thread in the amp section.) After seeing your enthusiasm for Sarah Harmer the other night I said to my self, "oh what the hell, I'll see what this guy likes." so i downloaded a few mp3s of her and listened quite subjectively. sure enough, something was wrong. I could tell my sound card was doing its thing, and my speakers were doing their thing, but it was off. The tone was wrong and it didn't sound natural. I was pretty sure that the MP3 was at the most fault. The presentation was good, but something in the source was lacking. By contrast, I listen to a lot of electronic music and as you can immagine, if it doesn't have quite the same tone and balance as the person who mastered it saw fit, no one will be the wiser if it sounds good. So in this genre, and similar genres I supose, the final level of fidelity takes a back seat to authority, which is probably the sole reason I don't format my hard drive for having so much MP3 on it.

Anyway, I like some of the songs pretty well. Black Coffee is my favorite so far. I think I would really apreciate hearing it on a good system. After clicking your link, I recognize the cover and I'm pretty sure my mom has this disc. Tomarow I'll see if I can get my hands on it and compair it to MP3 in my system. I guess I'll give an update when I do, if she has it. Thanks for the learning experience mark.

Nov 15, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 6
DW,
I'm pretty sure anything you downloaded from Sarah Harmer is not in SACD format, especially considering the SACD version of "You Were Here" has not been released yet.

If you're at all interested in a source that can play back SACDs in all their glory, go ahead and PM me, I'm happy to help...

Mark

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the heads up on Sarah. I downloaded a couple of MP3's and I like her. Her voice reminds me a little of Judy Collins.

My wife an I are going to borders for the 40% off employee sale so I'll add her to the cart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back