1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Santa Barbara mini-meet

1. guzziguy
    George (gtp) discovered that both of us worked in Goleta. So today he met me at my office for a quick mini-meet. He brought his DT770s and some music. Mostly he had the chance to get his first listen to tubes with my SLAMM PPX3 and to listen to my K340s. He seemed to like them though I'll let him tell what he heard.

I've been considering a complement to my Headphiled K340s. From the descriptions, a pair of Darth Beyers may be what I want. So it was a treat to listen to George's DT770s. I can't imagine headphones more different from the K340s than these. The bass was extraordinary but the mids and highs just couldn't match the K340s. The sense of "being there" wasn't there.

I've read here that converting them to Darth Beyers fixes a lot of these problems. However, I need to hear a pair before investing $500-600. I guess now I'll have a reason to come up to SJ for the International meet next year.

Just for reference, my SLAM PPX3 has a pair of Tung Sol D-gettors as output tubes. We listened with an unknown loctal pinned 6sn7, a Sylvania 7n7 tall bottle and an RCA 6cg7 black plates as gain tubes. We both preferred the 7n7 tall bottle.

2. gtp
    I had a great time, too. Thanks Ken!

To begin with, yes, this was my first listen to a tube amp. It was quite an experience. It was neat to contrast that amp with my familiar Total Bithead and high-end Pimeta. I don't think I had enough time with this combo to accuratly articulate my impressions, but I will say that the PPX3 certainly sounded glorious!

As background, I have gone through many headphones before finally settling on DT770/80. The sound signature was simply closest to what I wanted: good bass and highs, but with a slightly scooped out midrange for better lower-volume listening - think of it as a built-in "loudness" switch. I also like the wide soundstage and the comfort-factor.

Now for the K340 - I haven't read ANY of the reviews of this headphone so this is my unadulterated, uncolored viewpoint. This headphone is almost a polar opposite to the DT770/80. It has a very prominent midrange, which gives it a very upfront feeling. With the DT770/80 I feel like I am in a large room with the musicians/instruments at a distance. With the K340, I felt that I was sitting directly next to the musicians. Vocals were much better than the DT770/80, and very much "in my head". I felt the bass of the K340 was more subdued but still as deep as the DT770/80. All in all I would say the DT770/80 have an upward U shape frequency response while the K340 seemed to have a downard U shape. I didn't feel either was appreciably better than the other, just very different.

Hopefully there are more Santa Barbara folks around and we can build a nice local quorum.

3. mrarroyo Contributor
    Where are the pictures? [​IMG]

4. guzziguy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
    Where are the pictures? [​IMG]

Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures! [​IMG]

Actually, I didn't even think of taking my camera to work that day. I was also missing my system. I'm on a jury and only go to work on Wednesdays (with the exceptions of court holidays). Since I do virtually all my listening at work, I'm suffering a bit.

5. socrates63 Contributor
    I have a pending trade, and among the choices before me is the K340. Reading the comments here, I'm closer to pulling the trigger on the K340.

6. gtp
    Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
    I have a pending trade, and among the choices before me is the K340. Reading the comments here, I'm closer to pulling the trigger on the K340.

Wow, I don't know if I want that kind of responsibility [​IMG]

In all seriousness, they are awesome if you prefer up-front midrange and a more intimate soundstage (IMHO).

[EDIT: I just saw in your sig. that you have lots of amps, so disregard this paragraph!] I think I remember Ken saying they need a brute of an amp to power them, though. In fact, the DT770/80 are not terribly efficient, but I needed probably an extra 2-3 hours on the amp dial to achieve the same volume (like, say, 10 o'clock for the DT770/80 and 12-1 o'clock for the K340).

However, I spent maybe 1/2 hour with the K340, so Ken would be able to comment in more detail on them.

Since they have such a following here, even if you buy them then decide you don't like them, I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem unloading them.

Good luck,
    GTP

7. guzziguy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp
    As background, I have gone through many headphones before finally settling on DT770/80. The sound signature was simply closest to what I wanted: good bass and highs, but with a slightly scooped out midrange for better lower-volume listening - think of it as a built-in "loudness" switch. I also like the wide soundstage and the comfort-factor.

One difference immediately showed between George and I. He listened to music several (maybe 4) clicks less volume (stepped attenuator) that I did. So while we were comparing the same audio system, the comparison wasn't exactly the same. I might well prefer the DT770 to the K340 at lower volumes.

I thought that the soundstage of the K340 was at least as wide as the DT770. I didn't compare too closely as I'm not much of a soundstage guy. In other words, I didn't notice anything so wierd about the DT770's soundstage that intruded into my listening. [​IMG]

8. guzziguy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63

For me, the K340s have been a great choice. However, I don't have much listening time to other high end headphones. At the LA meet, I preferred them to the K701 and HD600, HD650 headphones I listened to. These were all unbalanced. I really liked the L3000 and R10 but not much, if any, more than the K340s. Of course, these were short listens in a much less than optimal environment. YMMV.

Edit:
    On the other hand, I spent some time listening to my K340s on Borat's SLAM PPX3 and he spent some time listening to them too. The result of that is that I now own a SLAM PPX3 and he bought some K340s after the meet! He won. I spent a lot more money than he did. So you might want to PM him about K340s. He has a lot of experience with other high end headphones and can contrast them much better than I can.

9. socrates63 Contributor
    Thanks for the comments, guys.

I have way too many amps and need to unload some... so I can get a couple more in the near future [​IMG] [​IMG].

I'm happy with the different sounds I have at my disposal, but I'd like to add a little more variety. My line-up is a little AT heavy, and I think the K340 will work for me.

My only concern was that I read you really need the right gear (and $$) for that synergy if you want the K340 sounding good. But your comments give me hope that that may not be the case necessarily.

10. guzziguy
    K340s do take a lot of current. Your MPX3 Slam SE will have no problem with them though.

I'm guessing that you deal a lot with resource bundles? Am I right? [​IMG]

11. surfboardz26
    and you guys didnt invite me? hah, i work in goleta too!

12. guzziguy
    Sorry. Your Public Profile says "Newport Beach". We will get together again in the near future. Why don't you PM me with your contact info and we'll be sure to let you know when the next get together is.