Sansui QH-44: Requires Amp?
Aug 6, 2004 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jman999

Head-Fier
Hey, I just found a pair of Sansui QH-44 Headphones. They are the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried on. I'm not sure how old they are, but they look vintage and utilize two 1/4" stereo connectors.

My stereo receiver only has one headphone jack, so I was only able to plug one of the connectors in. When I hooked it up, it sounded quiet but echoey.

My question is: Does this mean they're broken or just they require a headphone amp to work properly? If so, what would be a good but cheap amp and where can I find it?

Aug 6, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 11
I guess my advice is......get another Headphone!!!

I never heard that Sansui headphone, but in my guess, they

probably will not need amps, and I think it would be waste of money if you

get a headphone amp because of that headphone.

Aug 7, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 11
hmm two plugs eh? It sounds like someone's just landed a pair of 70's quadraphonic headphones
wink.gif
As for the quiet echoey sort of sound.. it could mean that the channels are being shorted to earth (something like when you half plug in ur earphones to a player)... Im not exactly 100% sure I've even described what's happening properly. but just check the plugs and and/or any extension/converter plug you're using as well.

any pics of ur headphones by any chance? I have a thing for 70's audio

Aug 7, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 11
My Sansui receiver and speakers are from the late seventies so I'm sure these headphones are too. Also they are quadraphonic, as one plug is for the front and one is for the back. I'm going to try getting splitter, so that I plug both connectors in at the same time, and see if that helps.

Aug 7, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 11
I'm not yet sure whether or not they are 100% functional. It's really quiet though, so I think in order to test it's functionality I might need a headphone amp. Is there a place where I can go that sells headphone amps, that will let me test it out with the headphones?

EDIT: I'll try to take some pics later if I can find my digital camera.

Aug 7, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 11
Heh - my Grandfather got in a whole bag of trouble with the missus back in the day when he dropped his retirement bonus on a a Sansui system coupled with one of the original Sony cassette decks. The best sounding amplifier with faux wood detailing I've heard!
biggrin.gif

Sad that Sansui now seem to be a yum cha manufacturer of nasty home tech.

Aug 7, 2004 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 11
same can be said for companies like Luxman, Akai, Sharp (lots of their stuff anyway), Aiwa, AWA (that's an Aussie one if u dont know it)..... I've got a 70's Aiwa receiver and dead set this thing is built like a tank.

BTW Jman, I dont think a headphone amp is really going to make any difference.... if you haven't already use the other plug to listen to music and see what happens. Do these headphones have volume knobs as well? My sharps do, maybe they could've made it a little less obvious than it shoudl've or something

EDIT:Also for all you new guys out there. Older headphones doesn't necessarely mean bad headphones. I have a pair of Pioneer se-700's that were bought in 1978, and they are still sound very very good. Ebay's a great place for that stuff

Aug 7, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 11
I tried them with an electric keyboard and they sounded really good, but still they were very quiet even with max volume on the keyboard. So I know they work so far, but I still can't get them to adequate volume levels, anyone have any ideas?

Also: the reason they were echoey while hooked up to my receiver, is probably because the phones output is of poor quaility.

Just an update,
-Joanthan.

Aug 9, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 11
Nights_85: Are you still interested in these headphones? I'll take some pics eventually if you are. I'm going to get a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter to see if I can't determine the status of these. They really are incredribly comfortable.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 11
So did you get any sound from them ?

Hehehe

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #11 of 11
Nights_85: Are you still interested in these headphones? I'll take some pics eventually if you are. I'm going to get a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter to see if I can't determine the status of these. They really are incredribly comfortable.

I'm Interested in pics, I would recommend you find a sansui quadraphonic receiver. And pick up the pink floyd Dark side of the moon recorded in quadraphonic. I'll Be getting a pair of these soon, From what my dad told me Sansui Used to be a great brand back in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back