Sansa-Talk
Feb 1, 2008 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

classicalguy

500+ Head-Fier
I have some general Sansa questions and observations. I'll start with observations:

I got a V1 refurb Sansa C250 (2g) player, and I've rockboxed it. Really like rockbox, but I'm pretty disappointed in the sound quality. Very flat, lacks detail, dull, slow sounding. I'd appreciate anyone's rockbox settings for getting the best sound, but I have a feeling that Rockbox cannot put in what god [in this case the Sansa hardware designers] left out. Other than bad sound quality, seems like an ok player (except I hate proprietary cables), and rockbox, well, rocks.

Sansa Shaker. This is kind of a whacky product, but it's got some real plusses - takes aaa batteries and SD cards, and a standard usb mini cable. The question I have is whether it has the V2 hardware with good sound or the V1 hardware without bad sound. Anyone know? I think my 9 year old would love it, and maybe her Dad too if it sounds good.

Sansa Clip. I have a feeling I'm going to end up buying one of these the next time there is a sale. Supposedly very good sound (v2) (yea), FM (yea), standard mini-usb cable (yea), and the rockbox folks are working on a version for it - which would add gapless and other goodies if it happens. The bad is a non-replaceable battery (boo). Also, the Sansa discussion forum shows a lot of people with battery problems. Anyone know how to tell which ones have problems BEFORE you buy? Any other thoughts about this little guy?

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicalguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some general Sansa questions and observations. I'll start with observations:

I got a V1 refurb Sansa C250 (2g) player, and I've rockboxed it. Really like rockbox, but I'm pretty disappointed in the sound quality. Very flat, lacks detail, dull, slow sounding. I'd appreciate anyone's rockbox settings for getting the best sound, but I have a feeling that Rockbox cannot put in what god [in this case the Sansa hardware designers] left out. Other than bad sound quality, seems like an ok player (except I hate proprietary cables), and rockbox, well, rocks.

If you got Rockbox to load and run, you're a God in my eyes! Impossible is the only way I can describe my attempt.

Feb 2, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by cruisaire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you got Rockbox to load and run, you're a God in my eyes! Impossible is the only way I can describe my attempt.

rockbox will not run on e2XX V2. I have my E280 V1 (soon to be replaced by V2) running rockbox. It is not hard, you just need V1 of the e2XX player.

Feb 2, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 29
I must be a "god" then because it took me all of about 10 minutes to get rockbox working. Very easy. Maybe you have the good-sounding V2, which will not run rockbox? They have an auto loader - really simple. Rockbox works great. But sound quality is not good.

I'd like a 2 gig player, as 1 gig doesn't hold enough music. However, the price premium for Sansa Clip for the extra gig seems too high. Maybe because they are closing out the 1gigs? I don't know. If they ever get rockbox working on the V2s it will be great. I really want gapless - gaps drive me nuts.

Feb 2, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 29
"Sansa Clip. I have a feeling I'm going to end up buying one of these the next time there is a sale."

Worth a purchase, in my opinion. Yes, it's a plastic, virtually disposable device -- it's not an heirloom. But it's not priced like something you would hope to use for five years or indefinitely (like the new Apple laptop, which has a built-in battery ... and how many Head-Fiers are using five-year-old cell phones, for example?). It's a competitively priced, competitively performing music player that has very good sound, in a highly portable, easy-to-use package. Use it, and enjoy it until it stops working. Get a replacement warranty and take care of it, and you're bound to get your money's worth.

PS: Users can get a player that runs on an AAA battery, if they want something that has a chance at lasting a long time (in that they won't have the issue of a dead built-in battery).

Sources (in order of purchase):
2nd Generation 10GB iPod for Windows (retired)
Creative Muvo 256MB (recently found the receipt – over $100!!!)
Creative Muvo 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Carbon 5GB
Cowon iAudio 5 1GB
Rio Karma 20GB (low-mileage collector’s item)
Creative Zen Nano 1GB
Samsung YP-U2 512MB
4th Generation 40GB iPod (monochrome; used as home jukebox)
2nd Generation iPod Nano 4GB
Creative Zen Stone 1GB
iRiver T60 2GB (like several of my players, runs on AAA battery)
Sandisk Sansa Clip 1GB

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 29
"and how many Head-Fiers are using five-year-old cell phones, for example?)."

Ok, I'm busted. Yes, I am using a 6 year old cellphone. I only use cellphones for emergencies. I have a prepaid plan that cost me $100 the first YEAR and $25 each year since. Cellphones are not necessities. While they've gotten a little smaller, they really have not improved very much (unless you want to surf the web on your cellphone - give me a break). I have a lot of good old stuff, and I don't like to buy things that are too proprietary, or have designed-in obsolescence.

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #12 of 29
"Yes, I am using a 6 year old cellphone."

I congratulate you ...

I'm still amazed at how many stores (not just kiosks) are devoted to cell phones and cell phone accessories. I wonder if there's a "Phone-Fi" web site for all the cell phone enthusiasts ...

It's nice to hang on to functioning devices a long time. Unfortunately, designed-in obsolescence seems to be a trend. I'll hate it when my Clip expires, but in price and form, it's not something that I would "mourn" like I would the demise of a Rio Karma, a car, or a laptop with a built-in battery.

Feb 4, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #13 of 29
I just got a Clip (1G) after my second iPod Shuffle died. The Clip is great - it's what I consider a "disposable" mp3 player. If it lasts a year, I'll be happy, and then I'll get another one with even more memory.

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Yes, I am using a 6 year old cellphone."

I'm still amazed at how many stores (not just kiosks) are devoted to cell phones and cell phone accessories. I wonder if there's a "Phone-Fi" web site for all the cell phone enthusiasts ...

Here you go...
"Phone-Fi" web site = HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource or better known as HoFo.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Feb 4, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesus
and the rockbox folks are working on a version for it

Source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back