Sansa Fuze too heavy to go running with?
Aug 15, 2010 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

KSC35Matt

New Head-Fier
I was just about to buy the 8GB Sansa Clip+ to go running with, but I can get the 8GB Sansa Fuze for only $12 more. Is the Sansa Fuze too heavy to clip to shorts to go running with?

Thanks in advance

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 13
Id say it's too heavy to clip to clothing, although I guess we need to know what type clip you'd use. Perhaps a case or holster that clips to your waste-band should be sufficient enough. IMO, an armband case would be best for running...

But if you're planning to use the DAP for jogging or working out, I'd recommend the Clip+ over the Fuze....it's much smaller and lighter than the Fuze, and I have clipped mine to the inside of a t-shirt breast pocket, for example, and the included clip works fine. Unless you want the added features of colour screen for album art, or video support, which I wouldn't have a use for....

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
Id say it's too heavy to clip to clothing, although I guess we need to know what type clip you'd use. Perhaps a case or holster that clips to your waste-band should be sufficient enough. IMO, an armband case would be best for running...

But if you're planning to use the DAP for jogging or working out, I'd recommend the Clip+ over the Fuze....it's much smaller and lighter than the Fuze, and I have clipped mine to the inside of a t-shirt breast pocket, for example, and the included clip works fine. Unless you want the added features of colour screen for album art, or video support, which I wouldn't have a use for....

I do this with one of my Clip+'s almost every time I leave the house!
beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 13
Well I don't know if I'll be able to find a case/clip for the Fuze, but if I do then is the Fuze still too heavy? ie - will it bounce up and down etc and pull my shorts down, or would it be ok if attached properly?  (I'm not a fan of the armband case)

Aug 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 13
Just get the clip+. It's cheap, lighter and I'll take the clip+ over the fuze anyday for any kind of physical activity whether it be running or working out at the gym.

Aug 18, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 13
ok I bought the 8GB Clip+ and yeah it sounds pretty good, but I'm yearning for more umpf.  Again for running, which amp would you recommend to pair with the Clip+ ? I've read that the Fiio E5 is a bit 'meh', adding bass but cutting off highs and adding hiss - any other ideas on a light (weight) and good sound quality portable amp?

Aug 18, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
ok I bought the 8GB Clip+ and yeah it sounds pretty good, but I'm yearning for more umpf.  Again for running, which amp would you recommend to pair with the Clip+ ? I've read that the Fiio E5 is a bit 'meh', adding bass but cutting off highs and adding hiss - any other ideas on a light (weight) and good sound quality portable amp?

I don't know what headphones you're using, (KSC35 maybe?) but rockbox might help. ReplayGain and the preamp can give you volume. I use kSC75 with mine and have plenty of volume.

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 13
sorry 'umpf' was not very specific! My Clip+ (and yes KSC35's) are plenty loud enough, I don't even use the volume on 100%, volume is not the issue.  It just doesn't sound very authoritative (noob phrase?).  I wouldn't mind there being a bit more bass too.  When I adjust any frequency on the equaliser (sansa clip+ firmware) the volume level immediately lowers a bit and perhaps a small 'veil' comes over the sound - does this happen with the Rockbox aswell?

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 13
Well, the E5 has a clip on it so that would probably work perfectly for you.  In fact the E5 basically looks like an ipod shuffle 1st generation, in every way. 

If your clip + ends up not working out for you and you switch to the Fuze, try a cell phone hip case.  That's what I use with my nano 3g.  There isn't an arm band built that will keep sweat out so I went with blackberry hip case and it's not heavy at all.  Don't even notice its there actually. 

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
sorry 'umpf' was not very specific! My Clip+ (and yes KSC35's) are plenty loud enough, I don't even use the volume on 100%, volume is not the issue.  It just doesn't sound very authoritative (noob phrase?).  I wouldn't mind there being a bit more bass too.  When I adjust any frequency on the equaliser (sansa clip+ firmware) the volume level immediately lowers a bit and perhaps a small 'veil' comes over the sound - does this happen with the Rockbox aswell?

No, the rockbox EQ is outstanding, once you get it configured your way. You can set what frequency each of the bands controls, so you can get the sound you like with just about any earphone/headphone. It takes a little experimentation, but it transforms the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back