Sansa Clip+ connection problems
May 2, 2010 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JaZZ

Headphoneus Supremus
I guess the computer section is the more adequate place for my problem than the portable-source forum. I have a new Sansa Clip+ with 8 GB (firmware: V201.01.05F). I'm planning to upgrade it with a 32 GB microSDHC card. For now I have filled the internal drive with MP3 files. USB is set to MSC mode. Everything was perfect, it showed up as a drive with a folder for the internal memory, and I like the sound characteristic. But after connecting it to my computer (Windows XP) the second time, Windows was installing a new driver again. This time there were two drives, J and K, the latter cried for a loaded disk after double-click: apparently the external memory which isn't installed yet. Drive J showed some system files and the Music folder. I was shocked to find it empty. But still the drive properties say it's almost full. So I have no access to the music files anymore. They still play fine through the player, though. And an uploaded file was accepted (now the only file in the Music folder) and could be played back on the player.

I have tried to reset it to the factory settings, to no avail. I have uninstalled the USB drivers several times, but the next Windows installations lead to the same result again.

So what's going on here? Does anybody have an explanation and a fix?

I was considering a formatting of the Clip+ (through its menu), but that doesn't seem too promising now. I could delete the Music folder, probably a following reload of music files would be recognized by Windows then. But I don't think the now state is normal anyway: According to the Quick Start Guide there should be one drive with (for now) one folder in it, as described above. I also should note that the player didn't behave normal after the issue: it started with the settings menu a few times instead of the last music title.

May 3, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 5
Problem solved. The initial file upload happened in MTP mode, although I thought USB mode was set to MSC. Set back to MTP, there's just one drive again and Windows recognizes the files again. The arbitrary new USB-driver installation and USB-mode change is still a mystery, though.

May 3, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 5
Ha glad to see you worked it out in 3-4 hours
wink.gif

May 3, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 5
Now I'm considering a definitive change to MSC mode, although the one-drive display looks more sympathetic to me. It would imply deleting the uploaded folders and files or formatting the memory, but that wouldn't be a problem, since the upcoming microSDHC card will require a definitive reload anyway. The only question is: What would I gain by the change to MSC? So far I've got some info from the Sansa community forum that folder navigation would be less problematic (e.g. real folder names instead of unidentifyable cryptic «new folder» designations). Are there other things to be considered?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back