sansa clip advice needed
Jan 4, 2010 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tizadu

New Head-Fier
Hello.
I've finally decided that I'm going to buy the Sansa Clip portable player. Checking amazon.co.uk there seem to be 2 kinds,
the SDMX18R - 004GB - E57
SDMX18R - 008GK -E57

wondering are these the same?

also, I'm guessing I should definitely choose 8gb over 4gb, right?

(btw have to use amazon as have a gift voucher)

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 11
I've just checked amazon again for the 8gb sansa clip.

the original price on one was £119, now £40. I cannot understand why, unless it's an old model(?). I'm assuming this would be the better one to buy over the one that was £50, now £49....???

any feedback would be appreciated

smile_phones.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 11
Going on the US site, SDMX18R - 004GB - E57 is a Sansa Clip (4GB) and the SDMX18R - 008GK -E57 is a Sansa Clip+ (8GB).

There are three versions of the Clip, keep in mind:

v1. Firmware shows as 1.xxx. First version, and no 8GB if I recall correctly.

v2. Firmware shows as 2.xxx. Second version, includes an 8GB version.

Clip+. Firmware shows as 1.xxx. Versions up to 8GB. Noticable difference between the v1 Clip and the Clip+ is the addition of a MicroSD slot on the latter.

As for which is "best", it depends. The v1 Clip has a working Rockbox port, so that's a plus. The v2 Clip has a pitch issue which, tmk, has not been corrected yet (it was bad enough that I had to return mine). The Clip+ is an overall improvement with gapless support, no pitch issues, improved button placement and a MicroSD slot. But, no Rockbox port yet (if that's important to you). The Clip+ also has a problem with some OGG Vorbis tags that cause the database refresh to fail (see a previous post of mine in regards to that issue).

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is the spectrum analysis results by dfkt regarding the clip issue you mention.

I've looked at those graphs. But I can play "Jerusalem Ridge" by Tony Rice in iTunes, and (sort of) play along on my (in-tune with an electronic tuner) guitar, and it's all in tune. And then I can try the same thing but using a v2 Clip. And the v2 Clip plays noticeably flat. In fact, it plays about 1/5 of a semitone flat. That makes it very noticeably out-of-tune with my guitar.

If you don't mind a player playing 1/5 of a semitone flat, then the Clip v2 is a nice player. But as someone who can hear that it's playing noticeably flat, no graph can convince me that the flaw is negligible.

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
v1. Firmware shows as 1.xxx. First version, and no 8GB if I recall correctly.

That is correct. When I bought mine a few years ago (it's still going btw, I'm listening to it right now) I wanted an 8gb player but could only get as high as four.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've looked at those graphs. But I can play "Jerusalem Ridge" by Tony Rice in iTunes, and (sort of) play along on my (in-tune with an electronic tuner) guitar, and it's all in tune. And then I can try the same thing but using a v2 Clip. And the v2 Clip plays noticeably flat. In fact, it plays about 1/5 of a semitone flat. That makes it very noticeably out-of-tune with my guitar.

If you don't mind a player playing 1/5 of a semitone flat, then the Clip v2 is a nice player. But as someone who can hear that it's playing noticeably flat, no graph can convince me that the flaw is negligible.

I also noticed the v2 pitch issue, fairly quickly - there's one song that I play often and the pitch was noticeably different to me. I then did some research and found that it was a known bug in the firmware.

Sansa had this same issue with the Fuze, which they corrected with a firmware update. But, as far as I know, Sansa has yet to correct this issue in the v2 Clip.

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tizadu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just checked amazon again for the 8gb sansa clip.

the original price on one was £119, now £40. I cannot understand why, unless it's an old model(?). I'm assuming this would be the better one to buy over the one that was £50, now £49....???

any feedback would be appreciated

smile_phones.gif

I have contacted to other American webstore for the curious favorit price. The salesman answered me it was a refurbished one's price. Maybe the same to your suspection.

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by headfever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have contacted to other American webstore for the curious favorit price. The salesman answered me it was a refurbished one's price. Maybe the same to your suspection.

Hi, I ordered that model in amazon.co.uk (SanDisk SDMX18R-008GK-E57 Sansa Clip 8GB) for 39.99 gbp its supposed to be new. When I get my hands on it I will reply if its new or not.
Anyway in sansa's official web the 8gb model is at 70$ wich is about the same prize as 40 gbp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back