San Jose Meet Impressions:
Jun 14, 2004 at 10:31 AM Post #16 of 42
The PS-1 Pro with the thinner cable is the stock unbalanced PS-1 Pro (the standard one from TTVJ), which uses the same cable as the RS-1. The PS-1 Pro with the thicker cable is the modified balanced PS-1 Pro, which uses the Joseph Grado Ultra-wide Bandwidth cable that can be found on several HP-1000s. The difference between the two was very noticeable.
eek.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 10:36 AM Post #17 of 42
so,
Both the thin cable and the wide cable of PS1 can be purchased?!
the situation of this two phones just similar the ER4P,ER4S?!
Or the PS1 with the thicker cable is DIY? Just like change the cable of HD600?

Jun 14, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #18 of 42
The PS-1 Pro is only offered with the stock RS-1 cable. However, for an undisclosed sum of money John Grado terminated gpalmer's PS-1 Pro with balanced UWB cables. Yes, gpalmer is insane...
rs1smile.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
...Yes, gpalmer is insane...
rs1smile.gif

Ahh, a very high order compliment indeed! It's nice to know that gpalmer's daring move paid off and the cable has provided some nice improvements to an already incredible pair of cans! Ear candy, anyone?

Jun 14, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Ahh, a very high order compliment indeed! It's nice to know that gpalmer's daring move paid off and the cable has provided some nice improvements to an already incredible pair of cans! Ear candy, anyone?

So the countdown to insanity begins for us, eh? Five days and counting
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Yes, gpalmer is insane...

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcx
THanks for the info.
I know.
rolleyes.gif

Oh lord, when a member with an Orpheus agrees that I'm insane either I've been overdoing it or it's one of the signs of the Apocalypse.
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #23 of 42
amb: Is that just a regular SDS Labs amp? To me it looks the same. I am very interested in your project with Morsel. I remember her mentioning joining with Sheldon Stokes to make and amp but said he is too busy. Are you two going to be making a run of PCB's.

How did this amp compare to the HR-2?

Thanks,

JV.

Jun 14, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #24 of 42
It sure was fun hosting this meet. Actually, I didn't do much hosting as I did listening and bs'ing. It was really nice meeting everyone there. That was all good. The good and the bad of the meet was all that fine highend gear. Unfortuately, I learned a little bit about critical listening and now I have the upgrade bug
confused.gif
I'll leave the impressions to the experts but will say that I really enjoyed the RKV, MPX3, prototype SDS Labs/PPA hybrid amp, Sugden Headmaster, EAR HP4 and Gilmore Lite with my HD600/Cardas.
The Accuphase DP-85/Singlepower MPX3 w/Sylvanias/Sennheiser HD650 w/Zu Mobius Cable was the most enjoyable setup I heard at the meet. EWF never sounded so good. Maybe I can sell the house to get that Accuphase. Shoot, the Accuphase remote was heavier then my....... never mind.
If anyone has any comments or feedback on how I can improve the meet experience for next time, send me a pm. Glad the A/C was up to the task. Shafu, the chocolate chip cookies were the best, Thanks.
Greg, thanks for bringing Alex. Hope your path to the SoCal meet is more direct. Leeav knows SoCal like he knows Berkeley
biggrin.gif
Also someone left a couple of CDs at the house (masssive attack and Julia Fordam??). Let me know who they belong to.
Bruce

Jun 14, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
The Accuphase DP-85/Singlepower MPX3 w/Sylvanias/Sennheiser HD650 w/Zu Mobius Cable was the most enjoyable setup I heard at the meet. EWF never sounded so good. Maybe I can sell the house to get that Accuphase. Shoot, the Accuphase remote was heavier then my....... never mind.

I'll trade you my CDP for your house.
smily_headphones1.gif
lol

thanks again for hosting the meet. it was well planned and executed. so when are you having another one?
tongue.gif

Jun 15, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by gswpete
I wish I could've been there
frown.gif

When's the next meet?
biggrin.gif

For some of us next weekend, but it's in LA!
tongue.gif

Jun 15, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #28 of 42
I'm sure there is room in the van for another Head-Fier?
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #29 of 42
The amp NeilPeart called a prototype SDS/PPA hybrid is really the SDS Labs amp amb built with a couple of changes to the biasing that make it a bit more like the amp codenamed MMM that we are working on, but with no ground channel. We did not bring the real prototype to the meet. We have more work to do before posting about it in the DIY forum.

Thanks for hosting, Bruce.
cool.gif

Jun 15, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil_JV
amb: Is that just a regular SDS Labs amp? To me it looks the same.

That amp used the SDS Labs v1.2 circuit board from Sheldon Stokes, therefore it looks the same. I believe Sheldon still sells boards so you may inquire directly with him. However my amp has some significant modifications. See the link in my other post above.

Quote:

I am very interested in your project with Morsel. I remember her mentioning joining with Sheldon Stokes to make and amp but said he is too busy. Are you two going to be making a run of PCB's.

Morsel and I are working on a new amp design. The only thing certain about it at this point is that it will have a complementary MOSFET output stage. We have some ideas we're toying with, and it may incorporate elements from the SDS Labs amp and the PPA. I do plan to make PCBs available when the design is finalized, and perhaps even some of the parts too.

Quote:

How did this amp compare to the HR-2?

I think my modified SDS sounded cleaner, more neutral, with better detail and air than the HR-2. We had a couple of special A-B switchboxes at the meet that allowed us to instantaneously switch between amps (using the same source and headphones), which made comparison very easy. To make the comparison more "scientific", one of the switchboxes is "semi-blind" in that it is not obvious which switch position corresponds with which amp unless you disconnect one of them. Also, I used a test tone CD and a voltmeter to match the levels precisely.

-Ti

Users who are viewing this thread

Back