San Jose, CA Local Head-Fi Meet - January 30th at Alum Rock Library Event Room
Jan 4, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #91 of 237
  @DecentLevi Thanks for organizing. I'm new to the hobby and the forums here. I'd love to attend (mostly to meet new like-minded people) and hopefully demo some gear. Unfortunately all I can offer to bring are my HD-598's... still trying to figure out what my first "serious" purchase will be. Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to this. 

@PhotoJ Warm welcome to the community! I think you've already made your first "serious" purchase. The Senn. HD 5xx and 6xx line scale mezmerizingly well with expensive gear (meaning it sounds better depending on the amp you throw at it until seemingly no limit), and some people prefer these over other multi-thousand dollar flagship headphones. I'd say just bring your headphones and have fun seeing how astronomically different they perform with various amps / DACs.

I would definitely recommend waiting to upgrade until after you've been to one of these meets. Just being able to try gear out in person is worth years of reading, because you never know how something actually sounds until you try it. Each of us have our own sound signature preferences, meaning what sounds good to another may not sound good to you. The key is determining what your preferred signature is, so that you're able to find something that matches it. And once you spend enough time on Head-Fi, you'll learn how to know which members you can trust, based on things like popularity, similar preferences, etc. But in terms of a meet-up; the discoveries, friends and inside tips / tricks are really what makes it priceless.

Hang around these forums a while and you may be quite surprised at how deep the rabbit hole goes - other than hi-fi gear reviews, we also got threads for DIY custom cables & amps, tube rolling guides & discussions, electronic music, chances to talk with industry insiders, and even cooking!

EDIT: not to mention the guilty pleasure (that I think we all share) of reading the heated debates & drama that creeps up now & then... anyone have a funny argument they care the share about?

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #92 of 237
I'd like to attend this event.  Unfortunately I don't really have any headphones to bring, but would love to hear some universal IEMS - especially Campfire Audio Jupiter if it's around - along with a properly driven LCD-3, and maybe some of the HiFiMan stuff.. oh and the Stax 009 :)

I do have a headroom blockhead if anybody wants to see how this compares to newer balanced amps.

Edit - My girlfriend would like to attend as well.  She is an audiologist - if anyone is looking into any custom molds.

Neil

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #93 of 237
Welcome Neil! I'm sure this will prove interesting for your audiologist girlfriend too - maybe we'll convert her into an audiophile as well!

Go ahead and bring your Blockhead amp. I've never seen one before.

Oh here's some other 'cans / IEMs I'd love to see at this meet, if possible (???)

- Hifiman Edition X (HEX)
- Beyerdynamic T1.2
Sennheiser HD25
- Shure SE 425 or similar

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #96 of 237
  @PhotoJ Warm welcome to the community! I think you've already made your first "serious" purchase. The Senn. HD 5xx and 6xx line scale mezmerizingly well with expensive gear (meaning it sounds better depending on the amp you throw at it until seemingly no limit), and some people prefer these over other multi-thousand dollar flagship headphones. I'd say just bring your headphones and have fun seeing how astronomically different they perform with various amps / DACs.

I would definitely recommend waiting to upgrade until after you've been to one of these meets. Just being able to try gear out in person is worth years of reading, because you never know how something actually sounds until you try it. Each of us have our own sound signature preferences, meaning what sounds good to another may not sound good to you. The key is determining what your preferred signature is, so that you're able to find something that matches it. And once you spend enough time on Head-Fi, you'll learn how to know which members you can trust, based on things like popularity, similar preferences, etc. But in terms of a meet-up; the discoveries, friends and inside tips / tricks are really what makes it priceless.

Hang around these forums a while and you may be quite surprised at how deep the rabbit hole goes - other than hi-fi gear reviews, we also got threads for DIY custom cables & amps, tube rolling guides & discussions, electronic music, chances to talk with industry insiders, and even cooking!

EDIT: not to mention the guilty pleasure (that I think we all share) of reading the heated debates & drama that creeps up now & then... anyone have a funny argument they care the share about?

Huge thanks. I'll take your advice and wait until at least after the meet before dropping $500+ on anything. Should be fun to try the 598s with different amps. 

Specifically looking for closed backs to wear at work (quiet office environment)... originally I was looking at the Beyer t5p but seems like most people say they're pretty anemic in the bass department. Not a basshead but I like it to be there. I'm intrigued by the Denon DX000 line, as well as the Fostex. 

Anyway, looking forward to meeting you all.

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #100 of 237
I'll be there with the new γ3 high resolution DAC, β22 amp, various headphones and computer source. If I am inspired, I might bring a nice Pioneer reel-to-reel tape deck.

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #102 of 237
@amb
 I've got you on the list. About how much do those AMB amps & DACs cost, just in case anyone is interested to buy one later?

They are DIY designs, so you can't just "buy one". You have to build it, or find someone to do it for you. The total cost could vary a lot, depending on configuration, parts selection and chassis selection/custom work involved. I can't really quote a price. But the γ3 and β22 are premium, top-of-the-line stuff with no shortcuts taken to cut costs, that's why they perform the way they do, but they're not cheap nor easy to build.

The official γ3 and β22 websites are here:
http://www.amb.org/audio/gamma3/
http://www.amb.org/audio/beta22/

There are many more AMB projects for DIYers, some much less complex and less expensive. See:
http://www.amb.org/audio/

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #103 of 237
I'll be there with the new γ3 high resolution DAC, β22 amp, various headphones and computer source. If I am inspired, I might bring a nice Pioneer reel-to-reel tape deck.

Looking forward to catching up with you - its been many many years!  I still remember getting my ears cleaned at your house like 10 years ago - it was definitely an Aha! moment :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back