San Diego Headphone Meet! 23 April 2011.
Apr 24, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #16 of 71
Thank you to MrSpeakers and UE for organizing and sponsoring this meet. It was one the first ones where I could spend some quality listening time on some great setups. My only "sadness" is that I still really want to get a pair of Stax Omegas... better start saving up! It was also nice to get to check out some great music, so I'll start first by loading up on some tunes.

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #17 of 71

Quote:

tongue_smile.gif

What headphone are you talking about kind Sir?

Old and shiny?

Must have been the recabled porta pros!!!

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #18 of 71
I jotted down lots of good music; glad I had some writing pad handy.
If it was the Porta Pros, I agree. There's something magical about them, when they're not broken that is.

Apr 24, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #19 of 71
the HE 6 on the lyr was truly a magical combination, the musicality and dynamics of it were nigh unparalleled. The LCD 2 was my fav though as is sounded completely natural to me, I wish I could have heard it with the lyr.

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #20 of 71
Those porta pros blew me out of the water. They sounded absolutely great for just a cheap little thing. Not the nicest eye candy though :p I was caught wearing it backwards

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #21 of 71
Thanks mrspeakers and UE!  Had fun talking to old friends from past meets and meeting new people.  Finally got to hear the ESP950, KGSSHV, and HP2 which were all very nice.  The HP2 was actually the first Grado I've ever liked, very neutral.  Nice remasters Luis. :) 

Apr 24, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #22 of 71
First, you are all welcome, and I join you in huge thank you to the ultimate Ears team. They were super supportive, really nice, and easy to work with. So THANKS UE!

Luis' remasters were an incredibly interesting treat, and maybe the highlight of the meet for me for their quality, and the novelty of getting to hear some real treasures. I would really love to hear more of the library some day. Certainly a chance to hear that much material and compare to older releases doesn't come often.

Biggest surprise: the akg 501 rig. I was really amazed at how good that setup sounded.

Biggest wish: having had more time to listen to the really cool home made rigs. DIY rocks, and even seeing but not hearing was interesting. But I would really enjoy getting a bit more time with some of that stuff.

I'm still processing on the Stax rigs. I really liked the transparency, especially n3rdling's setup, but something about the Stax sounds a bit analytical to me. It may just be that I need more time to internalize and get used to how different they sounded. This also happened the first few times I really got to listen to orthos. My preference tends toward a bit warmer sound, and less analytical, which maybe behind this, but also a lot of the music I heard was not familiar, so I didn't have the reference to really get in and a/b. Certainly left me curious... Anyone local want to loan a pair to me? :D

Also, the Audio-gd stuff was interesting. Very detailed, and interesting to compare to the Burson. Again, more analytical sounding to me, as was the HE6 in contrast to the LCD-2. I get why people are really into them, but it's not the right sound for me. My guess is if you like the HE6 sound the Audio GD would be a great choice, but for the LCD tubes or a Burson. what do the HE6 owners think?

Loved seeing mackat's collection, go guy! I got into audio around the same age, totally awesome to see how much he new and how into it he is!

Loved Jim' death by capacitance amp with the big warning on the front. It was fun to hear the Koss stats, too.

DannyBouy had more cables than a power company, but didn't get to hear them. The violectric gear left me interested to hear more.

I really like bigrocks t50 woody, it certainly took the sound a level past where it is possible to go using only the stock enclosures. It leaned out the one remaining overly warm area in the lower mids, and had a clean extended sound. Well done!

My favorite part of the event: meeting everyone. So many people who clearly are really into this at a really deep level, as a phone noob you guys were really inspiring.

If anyone has suggestions to improve the event, length,o location, whatever, pipe up. Constructive ideas welcome, and maybe we can arrange another.

A few of you who are local, maybe we can sometimes do a mini meet where we can really get some quality time in. I live in Carmel Valley, drop a note if anyone is interested.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 24, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #23 of 71
yeah, im out in El Cajon, and I know a few of the cats who came were from UCSD, so a mini-meet would be awesome, the NFB12 is supposed to be shipping next week, so I should be able to bring that to any mini meet we set up. Ill continue modding and have some new sounds for the next meet. 
L3000.gif

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #25 of 71
Thanks to mrspeakers and UE for setting up the meet! Also, thanks to everyone for being so generous with your gear and knowledge.

I had a lot of fun meeting people and getting my first listen to some great setups. It was a blast just listening to everyone talk about how things work or sound, and your enthusiasm for the hobby is very contagious.

Getting to listen to the Stax and LCD-2 at my first meet was a real treat. The Stax just sounded so natural and I liked the warmth of the LCD-2.

The Lyr was a great amp. I liked both the DT 990 and the K702 plugged into it and most other headphones. It's definitely more in line with what I was thinking just from research. It was also interesting to find out that I don't really like the Sennheiser sound. They're good headphones, but I just didn't find them engaging for the type of music I listen to most.

All in all, it was a great experience and I'm hoping to make my first purchase soon. Thanks again to everyone!

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #26 of 71
I thought the Sennheiser's sounded much more pleasing run through Mrspeakers Burson amp.

I can't remember if I did, but much gratification to Mrspeakers and UE for such a wonderful event! Loved trying all the different setups, and all the kickass music I now have to go source from Secondspin.

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #28 of 71
A few photos, alas I'm no photographic whiz!  If anyone has some shots of the amazing DIY stuff, please add!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #29 of 71
A last comment.  I had a good listen to the UE reference IEMs, and liked them a lot.  On a twenty minute listen, my impression was they were on par with my JH 16 through most of the band, and had a flatter bottom end vs. the 16's bass rise.  If you're listening to the IEM in concert or maybe on an airplane where there's lots of low-frequency noise, the 16 is ideal.  Because the 16's rise is mostly below 100Hz, it's not really a bass-head device, it's sort of like having a very good subwoofer kicked up a couple of DB for heft/weight, vs. bass boom.  

If you're listening in a quiet space, I think the UE would be a worthwhile consideration.  The bass is powerful and extended, ample in quantity, but very flat.  Nice IEM...  

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #30 of 71
Thanks to mrspeakers and UE for setting this meet up. I was planning to sell my d7000 but after hearing them in the lyr (even with the hiss) i'm not sure anymore they sounded amazing and the bass gave me goosebumps. The Grado sr 60 was a big surprise for me it is a great can unamped and had a very lively signature I actually liked it more than the HP-2. My favorite was livewire's STAX 202 rig, the first time I heard it I fell in love, something about how crystal clear and fast it was, jaw-dropping. A mini-meet would be nice I'm planning to get a lyr for the denon's and then a STAX 307/SRM 323S in a month or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back