San Diego Headphone Meet! 23 April 2011.
Apr 23, 2011 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

ssavage

500+ Head-Fier
Sponsored by UE.
It was really nice/cool that they brought an audiologist even though I didn't get the chance to speak with him.
There was also a raffle where someone won Triple Fi 10s. 
i won superfi 5s. :p

Cans that impressed me were
HD650
SRH840
K702

Cans I didnt care for:
DT770/80
DT880/600
All of the stax were decent but I didnt like the fit
LCD-2

I dunno why I dont like those cans. 
Maybe just my ears

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 71
Interesting, my OWN SRH840 didn't really impress me, until I plugged it into the EHHA Rev A. And the Lyr, but the Lyr made many things amazing. And the Canamp. I really could not stand my SRH840s until I plugged it into those three amps.

misterroger's Schiit Lyr + Beyerdynamic 990 = The most fun setup I have ever heard. I was so sad knowing I wanted it, but didn't have the money for it.

studeb, every item on your table was an absolute treat to listen to. The Sextetts, two Stax's, and EHHA I definitely kept revisiting. Gonna build myself an EHHA eventually now...

The woman with the Rega transport and Discman with the Canamp and AKG 501. Totally blew my mind. While it wasn't the toe-tapping fun of the Lyr+Beyer, the AKG 501 setup was the setup I just kept relistening to. Now, about locating a pair of 501s...And Discman...

Mrspeakers. For arranging this great meet. I enjoyed the Anaconda D12, seemed like a great portable amp. The Burson Audio 160D paired with the Sennheiser HD 650 was a real treat.

So many great setups, so I'm sure I definitely missed one. Great to see UE there, and it was just such a blast.

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 71
The Lyr is tiny in person. 
I wanted to try the DT990 but the guys looked kinda hostile so I didn't bother to ask. hah

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 71
I'll say this now; you missed out on a great setup. It was absolutely astonishing, IMHO. I might be more inclined to pick one up, if it wasn't back-ordered. Instead, I'm looking into a EHHA Rev A, a Discman, and an AKG K501, which may be the most difficult thing to find.

And the Lyr was shockingly small. People need to stop being so deceptive in their pictures!

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 71
Nice. I'd buy them but I spent all my money buying Livewire's Mini I :p
Oh and I have to say techheromod's modded T50RP, SR225, & SR80 were absolutely beautiful looking. 

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 71
I want to say muchos thank yous to Dan-Mrspeakers & UE for hosting this first SD HF meet.
It was nice meeting so many fine audio addicted folks and sharing their passion.

Impressions?

N3rdling, your Blue Hawaii and Omegas are the best things I've ever listened to.
I'm glad that you made the trip down and gave us all the opportunity to partake.
I'm in awe! Someday maybe i will have a rig that good.

Studeb, It was nice to have finally met you and your ladyfriend.
Although quirky looking, your DIY equipment and vintage Stax cans were impressive sounding.
And thanks for the music sampler!

Ssavage, it was nice to meet you and your tall friend. I hope you enjoy your new toy!

Anaxilus, it was a pleasure setting up next to you sir. We'll stay in touch on the cable.

Mackat, Thanks for the cable, that was unexpected. I'm lovin it.
You know at the meet I was not aware that I was in the presence of the famous Barney Grados dude.
You rock kid!

Mksuen, It was nice to see you again. Keep working on those TR50p's!

Mrspeakers, I was so impressed with your Burson. I knew I would be.
Not just with my K702s but with your awesome collection of cans as well. Thanks again!

Dannybuoy, your Violectric gear was a nice surprise, sounds fantastic.
How can one person have so many exotic cables coursing through their rig?
Looked like the cables cost more then the (rather expensive) amp & DAC.

My only regret is that I didnt have more time to audition everything there. Maybe next year?

I also want to apologize to those who experienced the dirty USB output from my laptop source.
Occasional static and clicks. I had a new music server on the way but it was broken in transit.
Until the next time!

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 71
Thanks to UE for sponsoring the meet, and MrSpeakers for getting it going.

cp8ir is the discman/Rega Apollo/Heed/K501 person, i poached the Rega for the EHHA

i think my fav was either the Omega or the HP2, hard to pick one.
I wanted to spend more time with the KGSSHV, but perhaps we can meet another time, maybe the amps will not be so quirky looking then.

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 71
Best overall system sound - Stax Omega/BH, no question in my mind.  I'm a believer/convert.

Amp award - KGGSHV, Schiit Lyr

Biggest disappointment - How much better my ESP950 sounds from the KGGSHV and that I don't have one.  Also that the 900 Pro still has typical Ultrasone timbre.  ED8?

Pleasantly surprised - K340 (needs modding if possible but you can hear potential in the design), K501 (preferred it to the 600 or 650 myself)

Neither exceeded or performed below expectations - LCD2 (not dark at all to my ears, definitely the wrong word used by some), HE6 (not as rich as I'd like my Orthos but superb, almost electrostat like)

Blown away award - A shiny, old phone w/ the best bass quality I have ever heard in or on my head.

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 71

First of all, thanks to UE and MrSpeakers for having this meet! I certainly had a blast and I know many others did as well.

My favorite was the HE-6 coming out of the Schiit Lyr. Fantastic sound.

Next favorite was talking and meeting many of you! Going to bed now as I only slept 1 hour.
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Blown away award - A shiny, old phone w/ the best bass quality I have ever heard in or on my head.  

What headphone are you talking about kind Sir?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back