Samsung vs Sony vs iRiver models
post-7588520
Post #1 of 4

xyphe

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I'm planning to buy a new DAP to go with a pair of soon-to-be-mine Senn HD25-1's. I will use them unamped and I like my music loud. After a bit of digging around I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices:

- Samsung P3 and T9 (and similar models)
- iRiver Clix2 and E10 (although E10 isn't produced anymore AFAIK. I've also read that recent iRivers are crap compared to older ones, what are the "good" new ones besides Clix?)
- Sony Walkman X, A and E series
- Zune HD

My main worry is to be able to drive my cans properly and achieve loud output. Judging criteria is SQ, portability and battery life, in that order. I don't want a Fuze/Sansa because I came across a lot of people that describe the sound as thin. Main genres that I listen to are blues, electronic and indie pop, thus I prefer the sound to be a little bit on the warmer side/full. Any owners of these DAPs care to elaborate? Comparing them would be even better if you own more than one of the players on my list. Open for new suggestions too!

Edit: Throwing Zune HD in there too.

post-7588581
Post #2 of 4

Dreamnine

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I had the Samsung P3 and it sounded v. good, but it is an old player now and there were problems with the touchscreen for many users.

Currently I have the Sony S754 (volume-limited for the EU) and it sounds just as good to me with my iems but would probably be anaemic in regard to powering HPs. I had the Sony X and it sounded the same to me.

I believe Sansas can sound pretty good w/ Rockbox - my Clip+ certainly sounds as good as my Sony or J3.

Forget iRiver - they haven't made anything decent for a while.

post-7588635
Post #3 of 4

xyphe

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
All comparison threads are very old, dating as far as '05, so I don't really know what models are good in todays market. Anything decent from Samsung lately?

post-7589532
Post #4 of 4

Berkovajazz

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Q3... Nothing better from them for now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)