Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality
Apr 13, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #77 of 452
  It seems that the S8 will have 2V headphone output, insufficient to enjoy the HD600, which have 300Ohm and 97 dBmV sensitivity. To move these headphones and enjoy them to the full, you need at least the amplification of FiiO A5 (about 5V).

Comparing these headphones to the RHA T20 is risky. My Shure SE425 vary somewhat in performance depending on the DAC, but much more by amplification. The Samsung Galaxy S7 (Exynos) gives 0.7V output and through Poweramp alpha offers a good experience with the Shure SE425. But the experience is somewhat superior with the Samsung Galaxy TAB S2 VE and the Poweramp as it has 1.2V output.

So the S8 with that new Cirrus Logic and 2V output can be great for any IEM and many over ear (but not the HD600 :wink:). Maybe level similar to Dragonfly Red.

Greetings.

Can you let us know where you got this 2v spec? The only phone to currently do that to my knowledge is the V20 in high-impedance mode. HTC 10, iPhones, and many others are 1v and below and Samsung has never been known for volume. I want to believe it and that would be amazing, but I'd love to know where you got that information. Also, it's almost certain that 2v will not be the case in Europe, where that would be against volume regulations (volume caps). 

-Collin-

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #79 of 452
I went to Best Buy with some headphones and tried out some phones including the S8.  I don't know how the settings were setup, but when I played something even on max volume, the volume was quite low and it sounded just awful.  Even my old Note 3 has much more power (although sounds bad).  I ended up purchasing a ZTE Axon 7.  It is able to drive all of my headphones to comfortable listening levels and sounds pretty good with the AKM dac / dsp chips.  I don't think the US version of the Samsung S8 is going to be popular among the audiophiles.  I will keep monitoring this thread for updates.  

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #80 of 452
The S8 finally popped up on the Aptx website, but only for Aptx, not for Aptx HD. That pretty much kills it for me, since my current phone does support it. Great looking phone just went to Tmo's store for a personal in the flesh look, and it is very impressive indeed. Too bad. :xf_eek:

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #81 of 452
Gsm arena review up.they really like the Sq, but the rmma results are not that good.I'm still using my uk note 4 and compared the rmma of the note 4 to the s8 plus, the note 4 smokes it.even the S7 edge rmma beats the s8 plus.I've preorderd my s8 plus will be delivered in 2 days but the sq is worrying. I think we have the xenonox version in england.if the Sq sucks in real life compared to my note 4 I'll be pissed as I use my phone daily for music. And if the s8 sounds like **** the note 8 will probably also sound like **** .and I want the note 8

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #82 of 452
The S8 finally popped up on the Aptx website, but only for Aptx, not for Aptx HD. That pretty much kills it for me, since my current phone does support it. Great looking phone just went to Tmo's store for a personal in the flesh look, and it is very impressive indeed. Too bad.
redface.gif

FWIH the apt-x HD codec is available to all devices that have apt-x but it needs to be flashed through the recovery

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #83 of 452
FWIH the apt-x HD codec is available to all devices that have apt-x but it needs to be flashed through the recovery
You mean rooting,?

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #85 of 452
  https://www.whathifi.com/samsung/galaxy-s8-plus/review

They say that the audio quality is good, but not as good as the apple iphone 7.

was that for the exynos version, as that would be bit disappointing 

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #86 of 452
I'm sure that they have tested the exynos version, because in that test there is written:

"With Samsung’s own Exynos 8895 octa-core processor inside, the Galaxy S8+ is remarkably fast. There’s almost nothing this phone can’t handle, and that includes doubling as a desktop PC once you dock it into the optional DeX station accessory."

The Snapdragon is not even mentioned in that test.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #87 of 452
That's a UK based website isn't it? The prices listed for the phone isn't in USD so it should be the exynos.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #88 of 452
I think I'm giving up on great phone audio in 2017. I sold my V20 because it was too big. I don't to play the game with the G6 where I have to pay $750 for the Korean version that may or may not work well on US networks. Nothing from HTC yet this year. S8 mediocre, just as the S7 was. Sorry if I sound negative about it all, but this just makes me appreciate my Pioneer XDP-300r that much more. 

I really thought phone audio was going to go forward, but I guess not. Maybe I should have kept the V20. I dunno. Oh well. 

-Collin-

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #89 of 452
  Gsm arena review up.they really like the Sq, but the rmma results are not that good.I'm still using my uk note 4 and compared the rmma of the note 4 to the s8 plus, the note 4 smokes it.even the S7 edge rmma beats the s8 plus.I've preorderd my s8 plus will be delivered in 2 days but the sq is worrying. I think we have the xenonox version in england.if the Sq sucks in real life compared to my note 4 I'll be pissed as I use my phone daily for music. And if the s8 sounds like **** the note 8 will probably also sound like **** .and I want the note 8

i am in the uk and i had a good listen to the s8+ it was nothing special just my 2 pence worth ..I have a note 4 like you and it is better i am afraid

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #90 of 452

Users who are viewing this thread

Back