Samsung Level In - Dual BA + Dynamic Hybrids (EO-IG900)
Jun 20, 2014 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

HiFiRobot

100+ Head-Fier
Samsung has launched a 3-way hybrid a few months ago. Not much interest here or in reviews yet. Maybe because of availability. US RRP is $149. Can be found in EU for 92,70€ currently.

Built in mic and remote. But very low impedance and hybrid seems maybe not the easiest IEM to use directly from your Smartphone.

If anyone has listened to these please post some impressions.

Reviews:
Phonearena (with lots of pictures)

Product link:
Samsung Level In

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samsung Level In EO-IG900
Type: In-Ear Headphones
Speaker: 2 Balanced Armature + 1 Dynamic Speaker (10 mm)
Impedance: 8 ohms
Connectivity: 3.5mm headphone connector
Control: Play / Pause, Song Movement, Volume Up / Down, S Voice (In Case of Compatible Samsung Smartphone), Call Receiving, Call Rejection
Microphone: Yes
Call Receiving: Yes
Color: Black or White
Weight: 15.7 g
Cable Length: 1.2 m
Packaging Contents: Carrying Case, 4 Pair Silicon Tips, 3 Pair Form Tips

Balanced Sound with 3-way Speakers
An independent 3-way speaker system produces high fidelity sound. Balanced armature units provide high-definition sounds, including exceptional treble and mid-range sounds. Incredible, deep bass sounds are delivered by one dynamic speaker. The balanced sound achieved by the speaker system provides a purely enjoyable listening experience.

Minimal Organic Design
The stylish metallic design was inspired by the finish of smooth pebbles.
The minimalist organic design provides ergonomic ease of use.

Variable Ear Tip Options with Multiple Sizes and Materials
Choose from 3 memory foam tips and 4 ear tip options. Your ideal choice will ensure comfort while enjoying high-quality sound.

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 18
I take this phones from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IN9I22S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It come with box and hard case - no manual or any parameters about sound ???

Overal sound is much more better :) that my stock inear comes with Samsung Galaxy S4.
Cant compare it with full sizes headphones as it in other weight class.

I burn it few days before make final conclusion.
For me it major side is compatibility features with Samsung Galaxy S4.

And be aware amazon send to me white ones instead of black.

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 18
I take this phones from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IN9I22S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It come with box and hard case - no manual or any parameters about sound ???

Overal sound is much more better
smily_headphones1.gif
that my stock inear comes with Samsung Galaxy S4.
Cant compare it with full sizes headphones as it in other weight class.

I burn it few days before make final conclusion.
For me it major side is compatibility features with Samsung Galaxy S4.

And be aware amazon send to me white ones instead of black.

How does isolation and comfort go with these?

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 18
I can only compare with stock Galaxy S4 earphones....
EO-IG900 has little bigger medium :) cap - so it sit more securely and has more isolation,
i wear my for 4 hours at home, 50 minutes while walking to work and found it perfect - no any inconvenience - again all for my ears.

Noise isolation overall at medium level - i can hear cars while walk near road and at 70-80% of volume, without sound i can hear almost everything at street.

Jul 21, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 18
Less isolation than the ACS T15, arguably similar to the JVC HA-FXD80. That's all I can compare them to. Light weight earphones. Quite comfortable with the right eartips.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 18
Stronger bass than the ACS T15, as can possibly be expected, but to my ears, the bass has more texture on the ACS T15. Both have very good clarity at their price points. Both provide a clean sound. The Samsung's seem midrange to lower high end focused. The ACS has a touch more warmth, but not a lot in it. The JVC phones has better bass quality, but instrument separation is better with the Samsungs. Sound stage is wider on the Samsung phones. The JVCs sound more 'musical' and immersive to me. I bought the Samsungs for 126,000 won, which is a touch below $125, so not bad value for the amount of technology on offer. I've only had the Samsung phones a couple of weeks, and haven't really formed an opinion on the crossover of drivers. Still trying out different eartips and amps too. I like them more than the Sony XBA4, which I've had before. I didn't like that woofer thing, sounded unatural to me.

Strangely, I like the Samsung isolating earphones more than the Samsung On-ear level headphones. Not a bad effort from Samsung, but I've only owned a couple of hybrid phones before, so difficult for me to compare to other designs.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 18
I came across a very negative review of these on Android Police.

Quote:

Level In ($150)

Don't bother. The Level In is, frankly, the worst $100+ headphone I've listened to since Samsung's last attempt at premium earbuds, the craptacular EHS-71s. Samsung's Level Ins were apparently tuned underwater, because there is simply no bass, reverb, or even midrange on these headphones. Highs aren't just tinny, they're practically scratchy with the treble tuned so sharp - music literally becomes grating with these on.
I compared the Level Ins with the cheaper ($120) RHA-MA750s, and it was no contest. The MA750s provided actual bass, mid-range was balanced divinely, and highs were more than detailed enough for an in-ear monitor in this price bracket. The sad thing about the Level Ins is that, for all their high-strung treble, they really don't seem to capture much detail, so it's not like they're extremely "flat" or anything - they just flat-out suck.

Granted, anyone coming from headphones included with their smartphone or even sub-$30 cheapies will probably hear an upgrade with these. They may not match the bass of some low-end / no-name earbuds, but the fidelity, soundstage, and separation will almost undoubtedly be superior. Samsung's using a 3-piece hybrid balanced armature and dynamic driver setup for the Ins, so they're still perfectly capable of providing a better listening experience compared to the earbuds most people are wearing these days (which is to say really terrible ones).
If the sound doesn't turn you off, by the way, the fit will. These are among the least comfortable earbuds I've ever worn, and probably the most difficult to get a seal on. I did not like wearing them.
At $150, the Level Ins are an obvious "no buy" from an informed consumer standpoint - you're simply throwing your money away.

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 18
it doesn't even sound like the reviewer had a good seal with these... I mean the whole point of a hybrid is to have bass, so I find it hard to believe that these have none

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 18
Actually, the reviewer's right about the upper part of the frequency range. Treble is very sharp and borderline scratchy on these. Reminds me of the Ocharaku Flat4, and not in a good way.

As for the lower part... well, either he didn't get a good seal, or his MA750s are basshead phones (haven't heard these myself). Bass is easily sufficient but not exaggerated on the IG900, and lower mids sound nice with a slight hint of warmth.

Overall resolution is pretty good, but this kind of sharp fake-detail treble doesn't go down well with me.
mad.gif

Oct 11, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #12 of 18
I got a Note 4 a couple weeks ago and was planning on just tossing the phones that came with it, I wasn't even planning on listening to music on the phone, yikes, I used to feel sorry for people who listen to music on phones and cheap buds.  However, being the curious sort, I decided to try it out, not bad for a phone and a $10 set of headphones.  

So I did break them in and I was pretty amazed.  Now equalization is a huge deal with stuff, if you tried listening to it flat you're going to be disappointed, but that's true of a lot of stuff.  These buds were comparable to my Bose QC 25's that I'd been using along with a Hifiman HM-700 for my on the go listening, but once they broke in, the setup beat the living crap out of the old setup.

So a $10 set of buds that beat a $300 over ear phones, and ones that I was particularly fond of at that, I've read some so so reviews on the 25's but these are people who think you can just plug and play and they are thin if you try that but it's pretty easy to add some lower end which these definitely do require. 

I do have a collection of headphones, all under $500, and here I am with these buds that came with my phone and with the phone at least, and that's important because it's the phone I want to use, this beats them all.  So Samsung amazed me with this and I wanted to see what they could do with a real set of buds.  

So I ordered the level in's, got them for about $40 from Amazon, can't go wrong with spending that much on them.  The reviews had them as sketchy, not worth the $140 or whatever the retail is, I don't really pay attention to that though, I was looking forward to them being worth a lot more than $140 though, and if I was right, and Samsung really is a genius in the audio department, they would be.

So they came, and I checked them out.  These come with memory foam tips which are way better than the rubber ones, you can't get a good seal with rubber tips.  They did sound thin and very simblant out of the box which I expected, and you do need to turn down the upper frequencies with these, and they are still a little on the sharp side but not in a way that I mind.

If there was ever a headphone that needed breaking in though it was these.  I expected that since the stock buds were like that but nowhere near as dramatic as these.  I wasn't sure if these were any better than the stock ones on the first day and they might have been a little worse, but the stock ones were broken in decently at least.

They came around more and more each day and I can say that right now they are simply amazing, with the phone that is, which is what they are made for.  I actually just listen to these and the phone though even at home, that's how good I find them.  All I'm really looking for in a headphone is clarity though and I can tweak the rest and these really have it, that's what I liked about the QC 25's though, this is way better.  Clarity and the right equalization is sonic bliss.  They also do have a decent soundstage, although surprisingly enough not anywhere near as good as the stock buds did, that's what really blew me away about those, but the soundstage with the level in's is adequate.  The sound quality is way better with the level in's than the stock buds though so it's no contest overall.

If someone is looking for earphones for their Samsung phone, and supposedly the controls only work properly if it's a Samsung, and you're looking to spend less than $200, these are a no brainer.  I've owned several in ears in the $100-$200 range and this is way better than any of the ones I've owned.  At the price they are offering these online these days, it's a complete steal at under $50.

Oct 24, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #13 of 18
  I got a Note 4 a couple weeks ago and was planning on just tossing the phones that came with it, I wasn't even planning on listening to music on the phone, yikes, I used to feel sorry for people who listen to music on phones and cheap buds.  However, being the curious sort, I decided to try it out, not bad for a phone and a $10 set of headphones.  

So I did break them in and I was pretty amazed.  Now equalization is a huge deal with stuff, if you tried listening to it flat you're going to be disappointed, but that's true of a lot of stuff.  These buds were comparable to my Bose QC 25's that I'd been using along with a Hifiman HM-700 for my on the go listening, but once they broke in, the setup beat the living crap out of the old setup.

So a $10 set of buds that beat a $300 over ear phones, and ones that I was particularly fond of at that, I've read some so so reviews on the 25's but these are people who think you can just plug and play and they are thin if you try that but it's pretty easy to add some lower end which these definitely do require. 

I do have a collection of headphones, all under $500, and here I am with these buds that came with my phone and with the phone at least, and that's important because it's the phone I want to use, this beats them all.  So Samsung amazed me with this and I wanted to see what they could do with a real set of buds.  

So I ordered the level in's, got them for about $40 from Amazon, can't go wrong with spending that much on them.  The reviews had them as sketchy, not worth the $140 or whatever the retail is, I don't really pay attention to that though, I was looking forward to them being worth a lot more than $140 though, and if I was right, and Samsung really is a genius in the audio department, they would be.

So they came, and I checked them out.  These come with memory foam tips which are way better than the rubber ones, you can't get a good seal with rubber tips.  They did sound thin and very simblant out of the box which I expected, and you do need to turn down the upper frequencies with these, and they are still a little on the sharp side but not in a way that I mind.

If there was ever a headphone that needed breaking in though it was these.  I expected that since the stock buds were like that but nowhere near as dramatic as these.  I wasn't sure if these were any better than the stock ones on the first day and they might have been a little worse, but the stock ones were broken in decently at least.

They came around more and more each day and I can say that right now they are simply amazing, with the phone that is, which is what they are made for.  I actually just listen to these and the phone though even at home, that's how good I find them.  All I'm really looking for in a headphone is clarity though and I can tweak the rest and these really have it, that's what I liked about the QC 25's though, this is way better.  Clarity and the right equalization is sonic bliss.  They also do have a decent soundstage, although surprisingly enough not anywhere near as good as the stock buds did, that's what really blew me away about those, but the soundstage with the level in's is adequate.  The sound quality is way better with the level in's than the stock buds though so it's no contest overall.

If someone is looking for earphones for their Samsung phone, and supposedly the controls only work properly if it's a Samsung, and you're looking to spend less than $200, these are a no brainer.  I've owned several in ears in the $100-$200 range and this is way better than any of the ones I've owned.  At the price they are offering these online these days, it's a complete steal at under $50.

I can get them now for 40 usd, i do enjoy a rather treble emphasized sound signature so i think they will be a worth the money. And it´s always exciting to buy something not knowing it will be good or not :) I don´t think Samsung made a bad iem here, i just think that they tuned it to be rather bright and detailed, a signature not very sought after by the "young smartphone crowd" xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back