Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
May 3, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #408 of 704
The S7 has a "Lucky" audio chip. Presumably from Cirrus Logic. The volume is weak and unconvincing indeed. That's why I use the OPPO HA-2 SABRE32 portable USB DAC with the S7.

May 4, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #409 of 704
Has anyone had experience with both the Samsung Galaxy S7 and the LG G5 to tell which one is better in terms of headphones sound quality, considering those are my options? (without using any portable USB DAC)

May 4, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #410 of 704
So does the S7 really have the Sabre DAC? To me, my S7 Edge lacks volume and I can hardly use it with my earphones directly.. 
Really? - I'm using mine with the LG Quadbeat 2 and there is ample volume...

Quite impressed - won't replace my 'big' setup, but definitely a step up over the Sony Z5 to these ears...

May 6, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #412 of 704
One negative is the 'UHQ Upscaler', makes a very nasty metallic edge to the sound, very apparent when switching tracks (like an echo almost) - would strongly suggest not to touch that - otherwise, yes - a pretty fair sound :)

May 6, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #413 of 704
I tried the sound on my Galaxy Edge S7 with headphones and I think it sucks. I want to connect it to my Sony PH1A amp but I am unsure what cable to use to do so. Can anybody help out? 

May 7, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #414 of 704
It's a nonsense function, similar to Sony's DSEE stuff. It just generates harmonics so that you get "content" above the cutoff of the music file all the way up to 48 kHz. See my measurements of it on my Note 5.

The red graph shown is the measurement of the 20-20.000 Hz multi-tone test signal with UHQ off. You see a very clean signal with well defined peaks in the FFT.
The green graph is the same signal with UHQ on... lovely isn't it. Lots of noise, even in the 20-20.000Hz range. Very noise harmonic content above 20 kHz, making the signal "high res" haha.

May 10, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #418 of 704
Just wanted to add that I recently bought the USB Audio Player Pro for Android, and the sound really did kick it up a few notches. Really a big difference vetween USB APP and PowerAmp and others. If you get a Samsung S7, I highly recommend to invest a few dollars in the USB Audio Player Pro! It gave an overall performance boost to sound, volume and also when I compared pluggin in my new Audioquest DragonFly Red, I noticed a really huge difference. It's like PowerAmp, and many players like that (Neutron, Black Player, AIMP, WinAmp, Onkyo player and noozy, just don't do well enough with the Samsung S7. I dunno... :S

May 10, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #419 of 704
I just finished reading this thread - all 28 pages. And I have to say it's impossible to get any conclusion from the comments posted here. They are just completly opposite - some say it's one of the best audio-smartphones on the market, others say it's totally crap one (and I'm only reffering to S7 exynos version with CS/Wolfson chip here).

I really have to give it a go in some local store, because I'm hunting for ~5.0" audiophile's smartphone and S7 ticks all boxes with audio being the only real question mark.
This or waiting for something similar in terms of specs but with ESS/TI setup (or even AK/CS/WS+op-amp)...

Anyone tried S7 exynos with Phonak Audeo (basic ones, not 232...)???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back