Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Oct 20, 2015 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 704

musicday

Headphoneus Supremus
Samsung according to new rumors will be announced in January.

''Galaxy S7 is said to also come with the Sabre 9018AQ2M audio chip by ESS Technology.
The chip in question reportedly features 129 dB signal-to-noise ratio, and it supports PCM up to 32-bit and 384 KHz, as well as DSD 11.2 MHz sampling. Its overall power consumption is very small, with only 1mW needed in standby and less than 40mW at all times.
Hope to see at least 128 GB versions with added micro sd card and removable battery''
What do you guys think?
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_rumored_to_sport_magnesium_build_hifi_audio-news-14582.php

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 704
I had an Ibasso HDP-R10 before. It's ESS SABRE32 DAC was by far the best DAC I ever heard. The HDP-R10 kept freezing until it was bricked. I was forced to return it and buy an Astell & Kern AK100II elsewhere as an alternative. Even though the AK100II has decent sound, it doesn't even come close to the ESS SABRE32.

The Galaxy S7 is a great opportunity to have that SABRE32 sound again. I've been waiting for a smartphone with high end audio and high quality, beautiful large screen. Galaxy S7 edge's Super AMOLED qHD curved screen and ESS 9018 DAC would be perfect for me. I can't wait. I'm planning to sell my AK100II when I get my hands on the S7. Then I won't have to carry 2 devices anymore and won't have to worry about the AK100II's battery that will stop working one day when it reached it's maximum number of charge cycles.

Jan 11, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 704
I had an Ibasso HDP-R10 before. It's ESS SABRE32 DAC was by far the best DAC I ever heard. The HDP-R10 kept freezing until it was bricked. I was forced to return it and buy an Astell & Kern AK100II elsewhere as an alternative. Even though the AK100II has decent sound, it doesn't even come close to the ESS SABRE32.

The Galaxy S7 is a great opportunity to have that SABRE32 sound again. I've been waiting for a smartphone with high end audio and high quality, beautiful large screen. Galaxy S7 edge's Super AMOLED qHD curved screen and ESS 9018 DAC would be perfect for me. I can't wait. I'm planning to sell my AK100II when I get my hands on the S7. Then I won't have to carry 2 devices anymore and won't have to worry about the AK100II's battery that will stop working one day when it reached it's maximum number of charge cycles.

Sounds like there may be two differently sized options of S7 offered, must hold off on buying the LG V10 until this comes out.

Jan 11, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 704
Also expecting the SQ to be so good. :) 

Waiting for it as well.

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #7 of 704
from what i've gleaned the htc m10 (as expected) and the lg g5 are also going to have formidable audiophile credentials--i'd be interested to see how they compare to the s7 when they roll out. big factor for me will be battery life--the current iteration of android phones (s6, etc.) seemed to be a step backwards.

Feb 1, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #9 of 704
it looks like not many are talking about s7's dac as much as they did initially. my hopes are fading away. hope they have something interesting under the hood.

Feb 1, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #10 of 704
it looks like not many are talking about s7's dac as much as they did initially. my hopes are fading away. hope they have something interesting under the hood.

Too late, I don't think people even care. It is better to have an older phone, but good tablet, and DAP that can also act as USB DAC for better entertainment needs

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #14 of 704
For me, output impedance is very important as I will be using IEMs with not more than 16 ohms

so I feel that if s7 has south of 2 ohms output impedance then it will be great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back