Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge Sound Quality
Jan 8, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #181 of 228
Galaxy s6 sound quality is crap!
I am not happy to say it. I just bought the phone. I have owned the Galaxy S tab for over a year and was blown away by the dac quality in there. Thought - the same must hold true for S6. It so doesn't. Muffled and lacklustre presentation. Can not listen to music on it. Btw, I only listen fo flacs or higher res stuff.
the difference, just by switching my headphones jack from s tab to s6, while playing the same song on Tidal lossless on both, is in your face; or ear.

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #182 of 228
  Galaxy s6 sound quality is crap!
I am not happy to say it. I just bought the phone. I have owned the Galaxy S tab for over a year and was blown away by the dac quality in there. Thought - the same must hold true for S6. It so doesn't. Muffled and lacklustre presentation. Can not listen to music on it. Btw, I only listen fo flacs or higher res stuff.
the difference, just by switching my headphones jack from s tab to s6, while playing the same song on Tidal lossless on both, is in your face; or ear.

Interesting.

Care to elaborate on your setup, as in what Headphones/Earphones you are using and whether you have any of the built in Samsung sound settings turned on.

I really enjoy the sound from my S6 Edge+, I find it has great instrument seperation with no muffled sound. I also find that across the frequency range the S6 performs with a great sense of presence and authority while maintaining a clean sound with no distortion.

I am using MP3 320Kbps (I use this as I have blind A/B tested against Lossless and can't tell the difference) with PowerAmp over OTG and Spotify. I will say that streaming 320Kbps does not sound as good as local playback of 320Kbps, so that there would be a good place to start. 

One other point also is I downloaded Titanium Backup which allowed me to disable/freeze the drivers for the built in Samsung Audio options, so that way the Android OS cannot see them or access them.

Guess each to their own really.

Jan 9, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #183 of 228
Hi Hum24h

My headphones are Sennheiser Momentum.
My "normal" hifi setup is:  NAS > Primare np 30 > NAD M2 > Telluruium ultra balack > Harbeth M30.1
I didn't find much listening pleasure in headphens department untill I listened to Audeze, (which are too expensive, after buying all the hifi gear..) and almost gave up, until I tried the Momentum. It souns so good from my galaxy S tab 10.5 that find myself preferring the Tab > headphones to proper hifi at times. Sadly S6 doesnt produce this level of separation/ clarity..
Will try different phone in shop on Mnday.

Jan 9, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #184 of 228
  Hi Hum24h

My headphones are Sennheiser Momentum.
My "normal" hifi setup is:  NAS > Primare np 30 > NAD M2 > Telluruium ultra balack > Harbeth M30.1
I didn't find much listening pleasure in headphens department untill I listened to Audeze, (which are too expensive, after buying all the hifi gear..) and almost gave up, until I tried the Momentum. It souns so good from my galaxy S tab 10.5 that find myself preferring the Tab > headphones to proper hifi at times. Sadly S6 doesnt produce this level of separation/ clarity..
Will try different phone in shop on Mnday.

Fair enough.

It does seem odd when I went through this thread, it almost feels like everyone keeps getting different devices or our perception of good audio varies a lot. Cause going through the thread it seems to be a 50/50 on whether someone likes the audio from the S6 or absolutely hates it.

Well hope you manage to find a phone that you enjoy :)

It is all trial and error in this industry.

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #185 of 228
S6 is good source but looks like amp section is weak and maybe this is a reason why many people have so different opinions?
Im interested in iems which have good synergy with S6 and are easy to drive. I like natural sound little on warmer side and with good dynamic. Price range about 100 USD new or used. Dont want any portable amps rigs etc.  Just straight out of the phone output. Any suggestions?

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #186 of 228
All I can say is my Shure SE846's sound great out of the S6 but my lower end Klipsch X10i also sound good.

Of the three phones I currently have (Note4/S6/Z4C) the S6 has the edge over the Note 4 with latest Android update and both sound better than the Z5C.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #187 of 228
From the reviews on Gsmarena, the S6 edge plus is the loudest among the S6 family including the note 5. There must be a small software difference between the S6 edge plus and the others. Phonearena also shows that the S6 edge plus has a higher output voltage than the note 5. I don't know to which extent these are true

Jan 16, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #188 of 228
  From the reviews on Gsmarena, the S6 edge plus is the loudest among the S6 family including the note 5. There must be a small software difference between the S6 edge plus and the others. Phonearena also shows that the S6 edge plus has a higher output voltage than the note 5. I don't know to which extent these are true

Well judging by what my listening experience has been like with the S6 Edge Plus and the mixed impressions across the other S6 devices, I would probably agree with this.

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #189 of 228
I have had my S6 Edge since its launch and used it with Brainwavz M3 with great results. I have now got Shure SE425 as well and still not decide how they sound as I have only had them for a few days.

Generally I would not complain abou tSQ out of S6.

Jan 19, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #190 of 228
Im still looking. For now I have Addiem and even though its average iem it sounds quite nice. Limited sound in some areas but overall listenable.
Today I tried IE8 and quite dissapointed with pairing. Sold already and looking elsewhere.

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #192 of 228
This is a audiophiles portable dream device. I am using very sensititve to hiss iems ( ckw1000anv) and always encountered hiss on the note 2 / 3 and other galaxies, sonies and htc's. Only the iphone 4 till 5's had a total black background. The newest generation of iphones has notable hiss and high output impedance which won't be good for highend iems which mostly consist of multi ba and hybrid setups.
The s6 with its total black background and output impedance of 0,7 ohm is finally the audiophile smartphone ive been searching for so long....

where did you get that 0.7 ohm figure from? or rather how do find the output impedance of a phone?

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #193 of 228
has anybody used either of the following to expand memory?

if so how is the performance when playing music via either method of expansion?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leef-microSD-microUSB-Connector-Android/dp/B00J2D7R20

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-64GB-Ultra-Android-Drive/dp/B00HR7J3CA

would there also be such a way as to hook up with a dac/amp as well? like the oppo ha2?

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #194 of 228
has anybody used either of the following to expand memory?

if so how is the performance when playing music via either method of expansion?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leef-microSD-microUSB-Connector-Android/dp/B00J2D7R20

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-64GB-Ultra-Android-Drive/dp/B00HR7J3CA

would there also be such a way as to hook up with a dac/amp as well? like the oppo ha2?

I have used the Leef Micro SD to Micro USB Adapter with a SanDisk 128GB & 200GB Micro SD Card with the S6 Edge Plus.

So basically when I connected the adapter to the S6 Edge Plus, I would wait about 30 seconds or less for the device to mount the adapter and I would know it was mounted because the phone would open up the "My Files" app showing the Micro SD Card. Then I would boot up PowerAmp and then playback would be instant from there, it is just the initial 30 seconds where you wait for the adapter to be mounted.

I also found that when I used something like Neutron, it would struggle reconnecting to the adapter after taking it out and putting it back in. But PowerAmp seemed to remember the mounting of the adapter and therefore, when you close PowerAmp and take out the adapter and then reconnect the adapter and then open up PowerAmp again, it would see your music on the Micro SD Card where Neutron didn't and had to rescan the media.

So if you are going to use it then bare in mind that you will have to wait around 30 seconds, from connecting the adapter, for it to mount and then you can open your music player. And I would also recommend using PowerAmp, as this music app worked perfectly with the adatper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back