Samsung Galaxy S5 audio review
Apr 3, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #46 of 91
Hi, I came across a few of your posts on this forum and it looks like you had an Xperia z3 before. Any reasons why you gave it up for the S5?

Oh yeah. I bought the Z3Compact specifically for a tropical trip we were taking. It had a lower max volume then the S5, but not so much that it bothered me. Anyways, I got the Z3Compact wet on the trip, by accident, but it got wet. I immediately dried it off, wrapped it in a dry towel, and put it in the beach bag. Water got inside the "waterproof" phone, and it stopped working. After arriving home, I shipped the phone to Sony, for repair. Four days after they got it, I received it back, with a sheet saying they opened it up, saw the water intrusion strip turned red, put it back together, and sent it back to me, unrepaired. I contacted them, and talked to the support line, and they said someone would call me in a day or two explaining why. Never got the call. Called back, was told the case is closed, and they won't talk about it anymore. So I'm trying to get my money back, as all this happened in the first month that I owned it. I'm waiting for the final call from my CC company, to tell me if I get to keep my refund, or if Sony gets to keep my money. We'll see.

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #47 of 91
Hello,

Im planning to buy Galaxy S5 but Im confused over Snapdragon and Exynos(Octa core -G900H) for better sound quality, volume levels?

Exynos version(has wolfson dac) or snapdragon version?

I'll be using it with a Sony MDR1RBTMK2 bluetooth headphone mostly, Is there any difference in bluetooth(aptx mode) and wired audio? 

I'll be installing Viper4Android also, 

So please tell me if  Exynos(wolfson dac) + V4A > Snapdragon + V4A ??

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #48 of 91
  Hello,

Im planning to buy Galaxy S5 but Im confused over Snapdragon and Exynos(Octa core -G900H) for better sound quality, volume levels?

Exynos version(has wolfson dac) or snapdragon version?

I'll be using it with a Sony MDR1RBTMK2 bluetooth headphone mostly, Is there any difference in bluetooth(aptx mode) and wired audio? 

I'll be installing Viper4Android also, 

So please tell me if  Exynos(wolfson dac) + V4A > Snapdragon + V4A ??

If you're going to use bluetooth headphones it won't matter which model you get as the phones internal dac is not used for this. The exynos model has the better dac so technically it should sound better but personally i could not tell any noticeable difference between them. I tested them both using 320k mp3s and my yamaha mt220s. I would say get whichever one is cheapest as they both sound great to my ears.

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #49 of 91
Oh yeah. I bought the Z3Compact specifically for a tropical trip we were taking. It had a lower max volume then the S5, but not so much that it bothered me. Anyways, I got the Z3Compact wet on the trip, by accident, but it got wet. I immediately dried it off, wrapped it in a dry towel, and put it in the beach bag. Water got inside the "waterproof" phone, and it stopped working. After arriving home, I shipped the phone to Sony, for repair. Four days after they got it, I received it back, with a sheet saying they opened it up, saw the water intrusion strip turned red, put it back together, and sent it back to me, unrepaired. I contacted them, and talked to the support line, and they said someone would call me in a day or two explaining why. Never got the call. Called back, was told the case is closed, and they won't talk about it anymore. So I'm trying to get my money back, as all this happened in the first month that I owned it. I'm waiting for the final call from my CC company, to tell me if I get to keep my refund, or if Sony gets to keep my money. We'll see.

Unfortunately for you, if you read the manual, you'll see that the seal is for fresh water only and under very specific conditions. Also, they don't do warranties for water damage (unsurprisingly).

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #50 of 91

Unfortunately for you, if you read the manual, you'll see that the seal is for fresh water only and under very specific conditions. Also, they don't do warranties for water damage (unsurprisingly).

Seems rather strange, i tested both the s5 and z3 in my spa pool which has salt in the water and they both passed the test. Its definitely a bit scary putting 2 expensive devices underwater on purpose haha!

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #51 of 91

Seems rather strange, i tested both the s5 and z3 in my spa pool which has salt in the water and they both passed the test. Its definitely a bit scary putting 2 expensive devices underwater on purpose haha!

OK, your funeral. Freshwater (and beer) is fine for me, but I'm not crazy enough to test it on saltwater.

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #52 of 91
  OK, your funeral. Freshwater (and beer) is fine for me, but I'm not crazy enough to test it on saltwater.

Yeh i definitely don't do it on a daily basis, i just couldn't resist the temptation when i first got them lol. My s5 has been dunked in the spa more times than the z3 tho. I've only done the z3 once.

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #53 of 91

Yeh i definitely don't do it on a daily basis, i just couldn't resist the temptation when i first got them lol.

Fair enough. On the first day I got my Z1 Compact, my friend couldn't resist doing a trial by beer with it. Thank God the phone sealed as intended.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #54 of 91

If you're going to use bluetooth headphones it won't matter which model you get as the phones internal dac is not used for this. The exynos model has the better dac so technically it should sound better but personally i could not tell any noticeable difference between them. I tested them both using 320k mp3s and my yamaha mt220s. I would say get whichever one is cheapest as they both sound great to my ears.

Thanks for the reply, So if the Internal DAC is not used for the bluetooth audio I guess the sound will be same with any phone right?

Currently I have Sony Xperia L (Non aptx) + Viper4Android installed and it sounds fantastic, So I dont need to upgrade the phone purely for aptx correct?

I thought aptx + V4A sounds even better than non aptx + V4A and thats why I was planning to buy S5,

So should I get s5 or not ?? Im purely getting it for listening to music thinking aptx + V4A will make a large difference..pls share your thoughts..

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #55 of 91
Thanks for the reply, So if the Internal DAC is not used for the bluetooth audio I guess the sound will be same with any phone right?

Currently I have Sony Xperia L (Non aptx) + Viper4Android installed and it sounds fantastic, So I dont need to upgrade the phone purely for aptx correct?

I thought aptx + V4A sounds even better than non aptx + V4A and thats why I was planning to buy S5,

So should I get s5 or not ?? Im purely getting it for listening to music thinking aptx + V4A will make a large difference..pls share your thoughts..

Yes the DAC inside the headphones is doing all the work. Having aptx support does improve audio quality, it's not a huge improvement IMO but is noticeable if you play high rez music. Whether it's worth it or not is a very subjective question,, personally I wouldn't get a new phone just for aptx support. However if you have money to burn or simply want the best wireless audio you can get then yeh go for it.

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #56 of 91
Yes the DAC inside the headphones is doing all the work. Having aptx support does improve audio quality, it's not a huge improvement IMO but is noticeable if you play high rez music. Whether it's worth it or not is a very subjective question,, personally I wouldn't get a new phone just for aptx support. However if you have money to burn or simply want the best wireless audio you can get then yeh go for it.

Thanks for the reply, Since you have both the Sony mdr1rbt-mk2 and S5 could you please tell me how is the volume level and the fullness of bass when compared to wired headphones?

Recently I noticed while playing music via bluetooth in 1RBT's with xperia L (non aptx) when the volume is high the bass tends to shake and its not steady..it comes and goes..

I even tweaked the setting with viper4android but still its worse, Im not sure if its the same with a aptx source mobile,

Could you please test the bluetooth audio in 1RBT with S5 at higher volume(like 85-90%) and see if the bass is strong at that volume? 

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #57 of 91
  Thanks for the reply, Since you have both the Sony mdr1rbt-mk2 and S5 could you please tell me how is the volume level and the fullness of bass when compared to wired headphones?

Recently I noticed while playing music via bluetooth in 1RBT's with xperia L (non aptx) when the volume is high the bass tends to shake and its not steady..it comes and goes..

I even tweaked the setting with viper4android but still its worse, Im not sure if its the same with a aptx source mobile,

Could you please test the bluetooth audio in 1RBT with S5 at higher volume(like 85-90%) and see if the bass is strong at that volume? 

That looks like a limitation of the onboard DAC/amp of the headphones themselves. Bluetooth signals (or digital signals, for that matter) don't discriminate: if there's any problems, it won't be limited to just bass. Even more evidence when it happens only with loud volumes.

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #59 of 91
  That looks like a limitation of the onboard DAC/amp of the headphones themselves. Bluetooth signals (or digital signals, for that matter) don't discriminate: if there's any problems, it won't be limited to just bass. Even more evidence when it happens only with loud volumes.

But when the same headphone is connected as wired with the same phone there's no problem, the sound is perfect, The other member @chailee80 replied he didn't have any issues with his s5(aptx source) and the same headphone..So the Amp of headphone is ok..

So could the problem be with the ordinary bluetooth version (non aptx source) of my mobile? 
  I'm not too sure what is meant by shakey bass but i've never noticed anything wrong with it. However i don't listen at loud volumes, just moderate really.

What I meant by shakey is whenever there is a bass note the volume just sucks inside and then comes out. Sorry for my poor english :)

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #60 of 91
  But when the same headphone is connected as wired with the same phone there's no problem, the sound is perfect, The other member @chailee80 replied he didn't have any issues with his s5(aptx source) and the same headphone..So the Amp of headphone is ok..

So could the problem be with the ordinary bluetooth version (non aptx source) of my mobile? 
What I meant by shakey is whenever there is a bass note the volume just sucks inside and then comes out. Sorry for my poor english :)

Sorry i'm having trouble figuring out exactly what you mean, do you mean the bass is not as strong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back