Samsung Galaxy S4 compatible portable DAC/AMPs?
Jan 14, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #125 of 153
Guys,

A 4.4.2 (test) ROM from Samsung was leaked a few days ago, it would be nice to test behaviour with DAC's if it changes anything or not.

I really want to see fixed the HRT microstreamer compatibility. Do you think it could be fixed? 

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #126 of 153
I'm using the LINDY Computer Connection Technology OTG with my e17 and it does say "LOCK" when connect it to my S4 but audio still comes out of my built-in speakers.

I have no option to turn off "power saving" mode as i'm on  4.4.2

I'm running KOT49H.s001.131204 rom

My sound menu in options doesn't show anything that resembles "usb accessory". I've also looked through gravitybox and can't find anything either.

I've hit a wall and have no idea what else I can do to get my TMO S4 to push the audio through USB, anyone have any experiences with kitkat roms? Should I be looking for a new kernel? 

I'm using PlayerPro with DSPPack 

any input would be most welcome!

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #127 of 153
I'm running KOT49H 4.4.2 Danvdh ROM and using the amazon LINDY Computer Connection Technology OTG, my e17 says "LOCK" when i connect the cable but PlayerPRO still plays audio out of the built-in speaker instead of pushing the audio through USB.

I dont have the ability to turn off "power save" as i'm on kitkat nor do i see a "usb accessory" in my audio options; i've looked in gravity box and turned on and off DSP and am completely out of ideas.

Is it a kernel problem? Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #129 of 153
Hope you guys have checked the thread on Android USB audio in the portable sources forum? I think conversation there is a bit further along than here.

Since someone asked above in this thread, can confirm Ultimate Audio Player Pro works perfectly for higher than 16 - bit output and also dramatically increases the number of compatible DACs. Plenty of information in the aforementioned thread in the portable sources forum.

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #130 of 153
I downloaded the trial version of "USB Audio Player PRO" and it plays files perfectly fine via OTG USB to the e17 but the UI is horrendous. I wish there was some way to tell PlayerPRO to switch audio output or something.

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #131 of 153
Hope you guys have checked the thread on Android USB audio in the portable sources forum? I think conversation there is a bit further along than here.

Since someone asked above in this thread, can confirm Ultimate Audio Player Pro works perfectly for higher than 16 - bit output and also dramatically increases the number of compatible DACs. Plenty of information in the aforementioned thread in the portable sources forum.

I could not find "Ultimate Audio Player Pro" anywhere in the play store.

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #132 of 153
Doh! Typo, meant the one you referenced:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #133 of 153
  Picked up a new OTG cable from Amazon, and I'm able to connect and use my Fiio E17 with my phone now.  Thanks for all the helpful advice and suggestions!

One additional question: is there a way to output at a higher resolution than 16/48?  I have some 24/96 FLAC files on my phone, but when I play them through the E17, it shows the output at 16/48.  I'm using PowerAmp to play my files.

I am running into the same thing.  PowerAmp shows an output of 96/24, but E17 shows 48/16.  I have not tried USB Audio Recorder, but will mess around with it later to see if I get the same thing.  Kind of stinks if that is the case because PowerAmp is pretty sweet.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #134 of 153
  Picked up a new OTG cable from Amazon, and I'm able to connect and use my Fiio E17 with my phone now.  Thanks for all the helpful advice and suggestions!

One additional question: is there a way to output at a higher resolution than 16/48?  I have some 24/96 FLAC files on my phone, but when I play them through the E17, it shows the output at 16/48.  I'm using PowerAmp to play my files.

So I downloaded USB Audio Player Pro and it works fine.  It down converts my 192/24 to 96/24, but my understanding is that is a limit of USB.  It's a shame too, because Poweramp is a really slick player and USB Audio Player Pro's interface feels like it was really effective about 2004. I can only hope that it is in it's infancy and will undergo massive UI enhancements.  That said, the sounds coming out are just plain beautiful.  For what it's worth, I posted the results on Poweramps forum as they seem to believe that what USB Audio Pro is doing is not possible.

One other thing that it odd.  When I plug the phone into the Samsung Smart Dock (which has full size USB out), USB Audio PRO will recognize the USB and work just fine.  Poweramp will not work.  The only way Poweramp will work is when you are using USB OTG and no docking station.  Same experience when the E17 is docked with the E09.  USB Audio Player Pro works great.  Poweramp does not. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back