Samsung Galaxy S Thread
May 11, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #91 of 203
Well, the stock player on mine does skip every now and again, usually when I'm multitasking, but I've never really had to reboot. I think re-flashing's your only real option, mate. What kernel are you on? 

Maybe you've heard of the SensatioN theme by Crysis? It works with both base ROMs, as well as Darky's, supposedly. It's mostly TW4 from the Galaxy S II with some graphical improvements. 
And re: Sense UI? I don't think it's legal to port it to a non-HTC phone, though I'm pretty sure someone's working on a similar-looking UI for Android phones :))

Wow, that's rare; Someone who isn't satisfied with Darky's XD

May 12, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #92 of 203
I'm using supercurio's latest voodoo kernel and I have voodoo control plus installed from market. This means my music NEVER skips no matter how much multitasking I do. Don't get me wrong, Darky's rom is the nicest out there but this playback error is annoying the hell out of me.

Have a look at the Galaxy Sense thread at XDA. They've got Sense 2.1 working except for data, BT and camera on the SGS.

May 21, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #95 of 203

Quote:
I heard the SGS2 is using a Casio DAC instead of the Wolfson WM8994 in SGS. How does it sound?

Just a minor correction: I believe it's a Yamaha DAC, not a Casio one. That probably helps, as Yamaha has a pretty good reputation with music-related components, as far as I know. Anyway, I've no idea as to the quality of the sound, but it wouldn't make sense if it was worse than on the original Galaxy S, right?

May 24, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #97 of 203

Quote:
Just a minor correction: I believe it's a Yamaha DAC, not a Casio one. That probably helps, as Yamaha has a pretty good reputation with music-related components, as far as I know. Anyway, I've no idea as to the quality of the sound, but it wouldn't make sense if it was worse than on the original Galaxy S, right?

Unfortunately, according to early reports from Supercurio who developed the Voodoo Control App, he thinks the Yamaha DAC is designed more poorly than the Wolfson micro. And I quote "The SGS2 audio will sound better than most android phones, but not the iPhone and SGS". Such a shame that Samsung downgraded the audio chip, maybe to cut production costs since people are generally more interested in CPU clock speed than audio quality.

May 27, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #98 of 203
Some good news: Voodoo Control 2.0 beta 2 released today with new bass boost feature! 
basshead.gif
 It's like a Headstage Arrow built right into my phone! Awesome!

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #100 of 203
If you don't mind a slight downgrade in SQ, then the Galaxy S II is a must, what with the monster dual-core CPU and 4.27in. screen. Then again, the HTC Sensation, though it claims to have Hi-Fi audio quality (haha), only performs on par with the first Galaxy S. However, that's only when you plug it into an external amp. If you've got an SGS with Voodoo Sound enabled, then you've pretty much got the best performing phones in terms of SQ. Not to mention, it being a year old phone by now, the price has gone down quite a bit. 

Oh, but don't mistake the Galaxy SL for the i9000; It's pretty much a cheapened version of the Galaxy S, with some cost-cutting measures implemented.

P.S.
Speaking of Voodoo, would an external amp improve the sound any, with Voodoo sound already enabled?

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #101 of 203
I highly doubt an external amp will improve the SQ on the SGS. Having gone down that road myself (with a E5, E7 and Arrow 3G), I can say that there is no improvement whatsoever in SQ. If anything, the external amp only serve as another noisy resistant to the output signal. If somebody can get true audio out from the headphone jack that would be a different story but then again it's hard to improve from bypassing the excellent WM8997 chip in the SGS.

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #102 of 203
Has anyone tried the Equalizer app?

The Virtualizer it provides gives a nice soundstage boost at the cost of intimacy from the mids.

Jul 24, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #103 of 203
I don't get why Samsung is taking so long to release the SII in the US. They've probably done a lot of work already with the successor, and the GSIII was mentioned by a Samsung exec to come out sometime early next year.

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #104 of 203
The problem with Samsung's equaliser app or any other software EQ like Poweramp is that the software doesn't do as good a job as true hardware optimisation due to its artificial processing level. The soundstage effect you hear isn't real. When i try to accurately place instruments in space with the effect turned on, i notice no improvement in distance. Furthermore, the placement goes haywire, with instruments artificially moving up and around my head. Software effect like within the music app only gives an illusion of soundstage, it doesn't offer the real deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back