Samsung Galaxy S Sound Quality
Sep 9, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #241 of 257
I'll have to plug the phone in sometime in the next few days and see what I can get out of it then.

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #243 of 257
Awesome. Thanks.

It can still be easily downloaded from a bunch of places. I don't condone piracy but I've paid for the app and donated to the project and stuff like this shouldn't happen, so even as a lawyer I still would download and wouldn't care about the dev.

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #244 of 257
  It can still be easily downloaded from a bunch of places. I don't condone piracy but I've paid for the app and donated to the project and stuff like this shouldn't happen, so even as a lawyer I still would download and wouldn't care about the dev.

It's officially back: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=supercurio
As I understand it got automatically removed following a change in developer agreement but now it has been republished, see post by dev: https://plus.google.com/+supercurioFrancoisSimond/posts/WGzRSzr9teV

BTW what rom/kernel do you think has the best standby battery time? I've read somewhere (maybe here on head-fi) someone gets only 1 or 2 percentage drain per day which sounds really great. I don't really use this phone anymore but since it has such a nice sound with voodoo, maybe I would still keep it around if I wouldn't have to charge it often.

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #245 of 257
  It's officially back: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=supercurio
As I understand it got automatically removed following a change in developer agreement but now it has been republished, see post by dev: https://plus.google.com/+supercurioFrancoisSimond/posts/WGzRSzr9teV

BTW what rom/kernel do you think has the best standby battery time? I've read somewhere (maybe here on head-fi) someone gets only 1 or 2 percentage drain per day which sounds really great. I don't really use this phone anymore but since it has such a nice sound with voodoo, maybe I would still keep it around if I wouldn't have to charge it often.

Could be me. Almost no battery drain although the battery is almost dead. I have a 4.0.3 rom with voodoo installed as standard by teamics. Found on xda, one of the most downloaded roms.

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #246 of 257

Could be me. Almost no battery drain although the battery is almost dead. I have a 4.0.3 rom with voodoo installed as standard by teamics. Found on xda, one of the most downloaded roms.

Yeah now I found the post, it was indeed you :)
I tried to find it, is this the one? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1398223
Being last updated in 2012, It's quite old though, nowadays the more popular roms are 5.1, 4.4, or at least 4.1. I don't know which has the most decent battery life though. Funny thing though 6.0 introduced doze mode which dramatically increases standby battery life, I wonder if devs can ever bring that to i9000 (I don't see any 6.0 roms for it yet).

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #247 of 257
  Yeah now I found the post, it was indeed you :)
I tried to find it, is this the one? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1398223
Being last updated in 2012, It's quite old though, nowadays the more popular roms are 5.1, 4.4, or at least 4.1. I don't know which has the most decent battery life though. Funny thing though 6.0 introduced doze mode which dramatically increases standby battery life, I wonder if devs can ever bring that to i9000 (I don't see any 6.0 roms for it yet).

Yeah I think thats the one. I dont bother for updates, only use it as mp3-player. If it plays my music it's ok! (and it does so without problems so no need to touch anything)

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #249 of 257

Depends but if you don't want stock gingerbread then ice cream for stability. As far as battery life goes, if you only use it as a DAP and it has the useless apps removed and functions deactivated it can last quite a bit longer. Of course, drain like less than 5% a day is if you don't use it at all.

edit: you could boost the batter life by lowering the voltage of the cpu and also the frequency it work on.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #250 of 257
Today at home when swapping microsd between my Samsung Galaxy S and my asus fonepad because I had to transfer some data. I tried listening to mp3 with fonepad. These days I only use fonepad to watch anime or read Manga. I load my bollywood list and listen to a few song. (Just in case somebody curious, they're Hello Brother soundtrack :smile:)
*Start rant

To my surprise they sound like cr*p. What a load of painful sound rendering I had to listen to. I had no other word to describe it except "crappie" Wait, this can be right?!. I just listen to the same song on my galaxy s. They sound really good. It's not really the best encoding. 128kbps mp3 from early 2000 era, and maybe not even encoded using lame. But on Galaxy s it had depth, huge soundstage and very good imaging. The treble aren't that silky but obviously not harsh. It also had quite deep bass.

On fonepad the mp3 sound very flat lifeless. Harsh, thin and grainy, one could argue they're a product of very badly encoded mp3s.

So what happened here? I only briefly using fonepad to play music when my first Galaxy s got stolen, before buying an iPhone to use as my daily driver and dap. Until I got my hand back on another Galaxy s last year.

All these years I've been almost exclusively listening to Spotify and Not until recently I bought 32gb microsd to put my pc collection on Galaxy s. Today experience really open my eyes of what superior dac can achieve. Listening to better dap / dac made me forget of the fact that many people are using crappy mass produced hardware that's "just good enough" out there. Of course better source can be somewhat bearable on common android hardware. The flac version of Alanis Morissette Flavors of Entanglement sat on my fonepad and they sounded quite nice actually.

all these years I never realise the power of better dac under my nose. I always told my friend that the end of the line in music chain (earphones, headphone, speakers) IS the most important one and not the source. Well of course a good dac. I always thought that most dac are good enough if they can manage the noise properly. All because I always assume other dac are not much inferior to Galaxy s' Wolfson. well I assume it wrong.

I'm gonna put these couple of track as my source material on my next hardware audition in the future.

*/end rant

Cheers everyone. Enjoy your Wolfson dac :wink:

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #252 of 257
  OK I guess this thread is no longer updated, but I'll try my luck anyway.

I used to own SGS1 i9000 international years ago and use it with voodoo sound. but 2 years ago it got stolen and I already upgrade to iPhone 5.

Today I score another SGS i9000 for $30 (sweet) and customized it with CM11 rom (tried CM11 snapshot and Mackay).
To my surprised.. voodoo sound no longer available on Google Play Store. I found an apk online and got error parsing.

2 years abandoning android and I cant seem to find any updates on Voodoo sound.. The new rom seems stable enough.. should I revert to old gingerbread rom? sigh~~..

Dude didn't you know Voodoo Sound is built into CM11.  You do not need a separate app.  It is in DSP manager.

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #253 of 257
I'm wondering does anyone used Rockbox on the i9000?  I've been using Neutron for a fair while and just found out about Rockbox yesterday so downloaded it today.  Some people online state that it does not work on 4.4 but it works fine on my device.

I would say it sounds a bit cleaner than Neutron although its still too early to say if that is the case.  I only use my i9000 for music and always wanted to just to install Cyanogenmod with no Google apps and now with Rockbox this might be possible.  At the moment I have to use Gapps to get Neutron working.

So does anyone use Rockbox?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back