Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality
Apr 19, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #511 of 756
Hi guys.

I got a Note 4 (Exynos version) and I was wondering if the Fiio X1 will make an upgrade in terms of sound (?)
My main problem is that I have to crank the volume up (6/10 or even 7/10) on poweramp in order for my Hifman RE-400 to show their potential. In lower than the aforementioned volumes these IEMs do seriously underperform...

Does the Fiio provide more power than the Note 4 to drive my IEMs adequately?

Thanks. 

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #512 of 756
  Yes, good question! I would like the controls to work. Right now I can start and pause, and answer and end calls. You are right the Fiio cable makes the headphones sound hollow.

FiiO cable should be used only if you have problems with sound not controls (it was useful with older phones, now it's basically useless).
Unfortunately there's no way for all the controls to start working. Adapters won't help.
There are IEMs with 3 -button design that works with Android.

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #513 of 756
Yes you have the snapdragon and the unit I tested was with sprint.

Thanks I just read your results here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/763302/note-4-vs-s6-rmaa-comparison/0_20#post_11520266

And I am of same opinion that the snapsragon is excellent now,
but I will take it further and say I now prefer it over my older note phones..

Lol Maxx, I did and mine was superior

:evil:

Yes yours was superior in display changes when navigating I believe because of less resolution screen and smaller Operating system.
Yours was running stock.

After more critical listening I was surprised at how similar the sonic signature was.
Yet there were sonic differences.

Those differences that made me prefer my Note4 was a slightly deeper soundstage and a cleaner treble with less grit.
Also I percieved about 5% more sonic cues that give a more realistic impression.

The Note3 also sounded quite good and I would say that at this level all that would be needed is maybe an external amp if running stock rom.

As for Note 4 dac quality,
I would say it is now at an impressivlely good level and I prefer it over something like an odac to me.

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #514 of 756
Wow!  Very thorough and intelligent analysis!  I wish I understood what you said LOL. 
confused_face_2.gif
    I guess you can teach me sometime. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #516 of 756
HI there, sorry if already said but is there sound limitation on the n910f model to the others? E.g n910f being Europe.cheers :beers:

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #517 of 756
Sorry to be real stupid too but is the exynos chipset the one to go for?

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #520 of 756
Sorry to be real stupid too but is the exynos chipset the one to go for?

I think the real problem is the lack of any support for edits because the lack of programmers and necessary code to do said action. That being said, as the guy in the previous page posted, the Note 4 Snapdragon and S6 Exynos are quite similar in sound with extremely small differences. Check out those numbers on the data he posted, it's scary how close Qualcomm has come recently.

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #521 of 756
But guys, truth to be told, N4's amp is rather underpowered. My supposedely easy to drive RE-400 sound close to their potential only at 60% volume or above.  

I too noticed some subdued volume but after getting rid of stock rom I was able to have more volume again,
So I would suggest a bit of research an xdev site and lern to load a custom rom for many benifits..

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #522 of 756
I too noticed some subdued volume but after getting rid of stock rom I was able to have more volume again,
So I would suggest a bit of research an xdev site and lern to load a custom rom for many benifits..

I thought I might probably root it (I'm familiar with the procedure) but my N4 is only 3 months old and I wouldn;t want to void the warranty in such early stages...
I just ordered a Fiio X1 and can't wait to see if there will be any improvement.

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #523 of 756

Cheers, been rooting and flashing ROMs and mods for years :smiley: might just go with either model and put on custom rom with viperMOD :smile:

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #524 of 756
I come from listening primarily to Apple products and have looked at Samsung stuff as 2nd. I now really need to hear the Note 4. This morning I decide to try some JAYS a-JAY 2 IEMs with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and I was completely blown away. I'm sitting there thinking this is different and the after a while thinking that this is better than the sound from Apple. Just a really smooth mid and tons and tons of power. It maybe was not totally clear as it had some uphonic warmth in the lower mids, which could be the headphones. Still listening to dance music was just amazing. More amazing than anything in a while.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #525 of 756
I come from listening primarily to Apple products and have looked at Samsung stuff as 2nd. I now really need to hear the Note 4. This morning I decide to try some JAYS a-JAY 2 IEMs with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and I was completely blown away. I'm sitting there thinking this is different and the after a while thinking that this is better than the sound from Apple. Just a really smooth mid and tons and tons of power. It maybe was not totally clear as it had some uphonic warmth in the lower mids, which could be the headphones. Still listening to dance music was just amazing. More amazing than anything in a while.

I noticed the same thing when I went to demo the Note 4 before it was released. I compared it to my iPhone 5s and I felt it was more engaging and personally just sounded better overall. Note 4 (SD) + V4A vs iPhone 5s (stock) always seemed to lead me back to my Note 4. The battery life is hella' tight and sounds awesome.
In all honesty, I really think most of the audio chips that are released on these phones are starting to lose the difference that made some of them so great. Since I don't have a DAP I can't say for sure, but I bet that it would be worlds different compared to a phone. My point is, a DAP should sound many times better than a phone because of obvious reasons. But in the case of phones, the advantages of having a off-SoC DAC is slowly disappearing. To a point, you shouldn't notice any difference and I expect that gap to be closed soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back