SAmsung galaxy note 2
Dec 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #121 of 471
Quote:
Dude, why not just use a headphone amp? Even just a tiny one. I haven't used an an-amped phone on it's own as a DAP since I was like 12. Then I discovered PMPs and got my first job to fund a purchase (an Archos Juke Box and paper round respectively, lol). Now decent dedicated PMPs (reasonably priced, not the dx100!) seem to be getting phased out with convergence devices so I'll get an Android phone when my Cowon D3 (also Android) becomes unusable. However I'd have no qualms about using a small headphone amp. Then again, I mainly use portable audio when studying, hiking and doing DIY/chores so I'm perfectly fine carrying a combination (note 2 + slim amp) which is still significantly lighter and thinner than the walkmen/discmen which people used as their portable source for over a decade.

Efficient (low impedance) cans help too of course, so that a bulky amp isn't needed. Using an Android app to remap the keys and add media playback function to the few tactile buttons on the Note 2/S3 helps as well so you don't need to be pulling it out of the pocket to switch tracks or pause playback.

Can you point me to the app that remaps the buttons?

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #122 of 471
Quote:
Can you point me to the app that remaps the buttons?

Well I'm using a 2 yr old Cowon PMP with Android which luckily has tactile buttons so I haven't used one and don't know how well it works.. 

This was the one I saw a few months ago:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.purelogicapps.android.tactileplayerfree

Double Press the volume UP key for NEXT.
Double Press the volume DOWN key for PREVIOUS.
Triple Press the Power key to toggle PAUSE/PLAY. (You can change this to double press or never if you like).

Google search for: android key remap ...... as well as .....  android button remap. I found various threads on XDA developers, android forums etc in case the app isn't satisfactory. I only flicked through some and the only thing that stuck was the need to root the device before getting started. Maybe with the latest android versions you can do it yourself without an app?

Please post back if it works, I'm sure other Note 2 users would find it useful...including me in 6 months once I can afford one. Cheers

I love the simplicity of just plugging my Um3x into the 4s.
And the output is hard to match even with external dacs/amps.
You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother

I can appreciate the simplicity of plugging cans into a device directly without the need for a headphone amp. It's been a few years since I tried IEMs, however I thought they are really sensitive and easy to drive? Also, i guess that most people (unlike me with my android PMP) are using their phones for more than just music entertainment and having a slim amp connected to their phone might be cumbersome.

I find it quite easy to hold my 3.8" screen PMP with my iBasso T3 amp in one hand and browse through albums, playlists etc. However maybe it's not so easy with the note2's 5.5" screen? I guess I'll find out in 6 months...I can't WAIT. Good times :)

Dec 3, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #123 of 471
Dec 10, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #125 of 471
Every Note users go to xda developers and flash perseus kernel which now has STweaks originally from Gokhan Moral's initial implementatio with major audio enhancements, volume output increased incredibly you probably won't need any amp! enjoy

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #126 of 471
Not very pocket-able but sounds really good with the K550. I velcro'd a $3 case onto the NFB-16. Getting a 90 degree micro cable.

Option 2 with iBasso D-Zero. Again, velcro a cheap case to the D0. Brighter and thinner sound compared to the NFB-16, a definite downgrade but not bad.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #127 of 471
I am a little surprised about the recent lack of discussion on the Note 2.  It seems like it may be the best-sounding Android phone in United States with the Wolfson 1811 (Although I'm sure some are hanging on with their Galaxy S variants).  Additionally, the USB OTG and USB Audio capabilities put this above other Android devices, IMO.  I suppose those with international GS3 phones may not find the Note 2 a worthy upgrade.
Does anybody know if the measurements are identical the international GS3?
Where is the love?

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #128 of 471
The measurements are better than the International S3, even though it uses the same DAC (just like last years Note 1 had better output with the same DAC). Presumption is that it is better implemented, possibly as a result of the extra size of the device - less contraints of best placement/RF shielding etc. It's volume output is marginally increased over the S3, and it's output impedance improved also (around 2ohm if memory serves). The Note 2 is the best Android phone available at present for anyone who can handle the size, I have no doubt about it (and I've basically owned them all or had review units of them). In fact, providing one can handle the size I think the Note 2 is straight up the best smartphone available right now.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #129 of 471
Quote:
The measurements are better than the International S3, even though it uses the same DAC (just like last years Note 1 had better output with the same DAC). Presumption is that it is better implemented, possibly as a result of the extra size of the device - less contraints of best placement/RF shielding etc. It's volume output is marginally increased over the S3, and it's output impedance improved also (around 2ohm if memory serves). The Note 2 is the best Android phone available at present for anyone who can handle the size, I have no doubt about it (and I've basically owned them all or had review units of them). In fact, providing one can handle the size I think the Note 2 is straight up the best smartphone available right now.

@NZtechfreak  Thanks for the input.  Your contributions in the phone arena don't go unnoticed.  I don't want to bug ya, but do you remember where you found the measurements?  I am curious about the stereo separation compared to the GS3 and GS1.
I am excited to learn that the Note 2 may have the best sound quality of any Android.  One of my main complaints is the 5.3mW total headphone output power, which is a bit lower than the GS1.  I suppose it is good enough for sensitive headphones or IEM.  I would likely prefer the Note 2 over the GS1 because the noise floor is lower (I saw a Youtube video comparison of the noise measurements), which is important for those sensitive headphones.  Plus, the bass roll-off of the WM8994 should be gone in the WM1811.
Any thoughts on using the unit as a line-out device?  I would think that it would work pretty well, considering the output impedance is far lower than typical line-level out.  I am just wondering how it would sound compared to a true line-out DAC. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #131 of 471
I've been running dt1350s out of an iphone 5 and recently bought the ATT Note 2. The improvement in quality is striking. The previously anemic highs and metallic mids are gone. There's also more space ans stage. Awaiting my FIIO E11.

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #132 of 471
Just dropping a quick note... just got my Note II paired up with the DAC on a RSA Predator, into Westone 4s using PowerAMP Android app with FLAC. Great audio! Previously using a HiFi Man 602 line out to an RSA P-51 Mustang. This sounds very similar, but much more detailed in the mids and high end. Great sound all over the frequency spectrum with the Note II and Predator. Very warm sound, with killer sub when it's there, and very detailed mids, smooth highs. What d'ya know. Kudos to Samsung for making what is as good as some of the best dedicated players out there, and it's in their new phone!?!

I think I may be done looking... and it was pretty much quite by accident. I needed to upgrade my phone and decided I wouldn't be doing it again for awhile, so got the best Samsung (16GB) with the biggest screen, so it would sub for a tablet (cause I won't be getting one of those for awhile, either, if ever). And the Note II turns out to have digital out and is FLAC capable! Ordered the Predator "just to see" what that would be like (since I like the sound signature of the Mustang) and a Host cable from China... awesomeness!!!

The Note II alone sounds pretty decent using the headphone out, depending on the IEM you're using (and if you use EQ, a wider range of IEMs would probably be okay... I just don't care to use EQ for listening). The Westone 4 were a little too mid forward straight out of the Note II, but the sound was pretty decent with the Westone 3s, although not a lot of heft in the mids or lows, and the highs sounded kinda anemic, or too airy.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (in an OtterBox) > PowerAMP > USB Ray Samuels Audio Predator > Westone 4 > PureSound Eartips playing FLACs is... killerly awesome! If you're thinking about doing something along these lines but are questioning the quality... don't! It's great!

Now... I'm just waiting on the 128GB microSD from Samsung! 
biggrin.gif
... and hoping the Apple lawsuit against Samsung and Android doesn't do anything too bad
frown.gif
 !!!.

ksc75smile.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #133 of 471
I hooked up my Samsung Note 2 to an OTG and hooked it up to my headstage USB DAC hooked to a heastage arrow 3 amp-->Sennheiser 650s.  I ran both poweramp and rocketplayer.  I have to say the sound was disappointing.  Not nearly as detailed as when the same rig is hooked up to my old ipod mini using line out.  Am I doing something wrong here?  The headstage USB DAC hooked up to any computer sounds incredible on the same setup.  Is the Android messing with the files before hitting the DAC?  I don't get it.  I was very disappointed but realize that I am a newb to Android.  Love the phone, can't even look at the tiny iphones anymore!!!!

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #135 of 471
Quote:
I hooked up my Samsung Note 2 to an OTG and hooked it up to my headstage USB DAC hooked to a heastage arrow 3 amp-->Sennheiser 650s.  I ran both poweramp and rocketplayer.  I have to say the sound was disappointing.  Not nearly as detailed as when the same rig is hooked up to my old ipod mini using line out.  Am I doing something wrong here?  The headstage USB DAC hooked up to any computer sounds incredible on the same setup.  Is the Android messing with the files before hitting the DAC?  I don't get it.  I was very disappointed but realize that I am a newb to Android.  Love the phone, can't even look at the tiny iphones anymore!!!!

Try Neutron Player ... I was abit skeptic about different players sounding differently but after trying out Neutron Player (despite the terrible UI) I can definitely hear the improvements over the stock Samsung music player and Poweramp, especially some of the live performances i have, it just sounds alot better lol

I've only used it for a 5 days, and it just expired. Might buy it now, but the UI really is holding me back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back