Samson RH600 vs Grado SR-80i vs Audio Technica ATH-AD700
Sep 1, 2012 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

yezz12

Head-Fier
Hello, i'm new here. After reading some guides, i've found out about these 3 headphones, but i can't decide which one to buy. Help appreciated.

Samson RH600, 50 euro
Grado SR-80i, 66 euro
Audio Technica ATH-AD700, 100 euro

I listen to rock/metal. Flac audio.
I play Quake Live a lot, sometimes CS 1.6.

roughly 60% music and 40% gaming

Now, i've been told that the RH600 is great for gaming and rock.

People at Head-Fi say that the Grado is the best thing ever for rock/metal, but are bad for gaming. How much do they differ from each other for music?

The AD700s are beloved here. Excellent for gaming. How do they sound for rock/metal for the price?

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 4
If you want to use a headphone to play games you should looks for sound positional references in each headphone review. Instrument separation could be a good clue as well as soundstage depth and height (the so-called 3D effect) however some mp3 players will not show a 3D presentation such as Cirrus Logic equipped Ipods.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 4
First of all I want to know where you get the SR80i for 66 euros! (which are normally around 135 euros in the EU or $99 US (75 euros))

Grados aren't so great for gaming. The sound is spectacular, but the last thing you need in a gaming session is discomfort, or in some cases, pain. 
Also they don't have a very expansive sound stage, which also isn't good for gaming.
Having said that, I have done a fair amount of gaming with my RS2i's and didn't really notice the discomfort because I'm so involved in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back