1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Samson RH600 vs Grado SR-80i vs Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by yezz12, Sep 1, 2012.
  1. yezz12
    Hello, i'm new here. After reading some guides, i've found out about these 3 headphones, but i can't decide which one to buy. Help appreciated.

Samson RH600, 50 euro
    Grado SR-80i, 66 euro
    Audio Technica ATH-AD700, 100 euro

I listen to rock/metal. Flac audio.
    I play Quake Live a lot, sometimes CS 1.6.

roughly 60% music and 40% gaming

Now, i've been told that the RH600 is great for gaming and rock.

People at Head-Fi say that the Grado is the best thing ever for rock/metal, but are bad for gaming. How much do they differ from each other for music?

The AD700s are beloved here. Excellent for gaming. How do they sound for rock/metal for the price?

2. egosumlux
    If you want to use a headphone to play games you should looks for sound positional references in each headphone review. Instrument separation could be a good clue as well as soundstage depth and height (the so-called 3D effect) however some mp3 players will not show a 3D presentation such as Cirrus Logic equipped Ipods.

3. egosumlux
    I have the RH 600. Please PM to remind me to test it for positional cues

4. GREQ
    First of all I want to know where you get the SR80i for 66 euros! (which are normally around 135 euros in the EU or $99 US (75 euros))

Grados aren't so great for gaming. The sound is spectacular, but the last thing you need in a gaming session is discomfort, or in some cases, pain. 
    Also they don't have a very expansive sound stage, which also isn't good for gaming.
    Having said that, I have done a fair amount of gaming with my RS2i's and didn't really notice the discomfort because I'm so involved in the game.