Same Model, one made in China, other in Ireland. Any difference in Quality?
May 18, 2002 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

kenchi1983

100+ Head-Fier
I originally thought that all Sennheiser brand headphones or earbuds are made in Ireland.

But most of the models that are offered in VirginMegastore ....is Made in China. Even some of the topper end phones are made in China.

So if i were to buy a senn product thats not from Ireland.....will there be a quality difference from the one thats made in Ireland?

Im asking this because im still very interested in mx500.....but its made in china, and the plastic it uses look somewhat skimpy. Or maybe its because of the store lighting thats affecting how the earbuds look like.

OR is all mx500, even older gens are made in china.

a question im very very curious about.

May 18, 2002 at 4:06 AM Post #2 of 20
IIRC my MX400 and MX500 were both made in China too... even with Ireland literally being a hop, skip and then a jump from the UK

I think that maybe the earphone 'factory' is in China, whereas the headphone factory is in Ireland?

Hopefully someone will contradict me and prove me wrong??
wink.gif

May 18, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 20
In addition, all of the Sennheiser HD2n2 and HD4n7 series headphones are made in PRC (China).

Oct 6, 2002 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by billie_CFSO1328
yes.
mx300,400,500
Made in China
but other proudcts are made in the other contry.
biggrin.gif

Read my post above yours, "billie_CFSO1328". Or maybe the resellers that sell Sennheiser headphones where you are still have only the old HD4## series 'phones (HD400, 470, 490 and 495) and the old HD200 and 210 - and don't have any of the HD4#7 or HD2#2 series 'phones yet.
tongue.gif

Oct 7, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Read my post above yours, "billie_CFSO1328". Or maybe the resellers that sell Sennheiser headphones where you are still have only the old HD4## series 'phones (HD400, 470, 490 and 495) and the old HD200 and 210 - and don't have any of the HD4#7 or HD2#2 series 'phones yet.
tongue.gif

Eagle_Driver
hi
you r right maybe
cause i am live in China.
frown.gif

Oct 7, 2002 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 20
I wouldn't worry too much about where the phones are made. Plus, the 497's I have seem well made enough. And the 580's and 600's that had so many cord problems were all made in Ireland as far as I know. There are so many variables that enter into product performance and reliability, I just don't think the final assembly point counts for that much.

With the market as competitive as it is, companies are doing everything they can to cut expenses, and like it or not, I imagine labor costs are cheaper in China than in Ireland. With only a few exceptions, like Panasonic PCDP's and some Koss phones, most of the lower priced and much of the higher priced electronic gear is made in China, Taiwan, Korea, or Malaysia. Is there an appreciable difference in quality between gear made in one of these countries and the same gear made elsewhere? I doubt it, I can't imagine any of the major manufacturers putting up with sub-standard quality from any of their manufacturing sources.

Oct 7, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
The ones made in Ireland are of stouter construction.
biggrin.gif

definitely not true.
mad.gif
grr...

i'm not sure about headphones, but i must clear up this misconception about general goods that're made in asia that many westerners i've met, especially americans, harbor. sorry, i'm in a tad bit of a pissy mood cuz my macro-econ prof was making some derogatory comments about asia, so now, instead of confronting her, i must defend my race on this forum where a like topic has arisen... -_-" ...

my brother is a 2nd year mba student at wharton, and we often discuss the economic state of things in asia, especially greater china. i have to run to class soon, so i'll relate only this much in this post (i can type more later if needed): in my brother's travels visiting major international corporations in greater china this past summer with several of his classmates, they discovered that the technology and craftsmanship of many goods manufactured in china were far superior to their american equivalents. one of the classmates, an ex-plant-supervisor for GM, was completely blown away by the superior technology of the automated vehicle plants in china as well as the quality of these products as compared to american manufacturers. of course, not all goods made in asia are consistently quality, but in general, when foreign companies move their fabrication plants to china, they invest far more technology, money, and time in their mainland efforts for many reasons that i wish i could talk about here but i'm late to class...

... so yes, buy ur senn earphones with confidence.
with love from philly,
~taipeileviathan...

tongue.gif
ah... much better now...

edit: sorry bout that... my prof just really pissed me off, so i kinda vented here...
redface.gif

Oct 7, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #11 of 20
Poor comparison. The foreign car market, esp. Japanese and Chinese have made great strides in vehicles because of the suv craze. Ford, Chrysler and GM completely ignored the family car market for a good 10-15 years with the suv obsession. Foreign car manufactures took notice and bent over backwards in order to deliver cars that the American consumer demanded. Build Quality, safety, design and various other factors are all things that we demand as a culture and yet the big 3 totally ignored the market and as a result imports are booming.

Now on to consumer electronics, the name of the game is cheap. I agree with the above posts that cite the cut throat nature of the market. I am sure that the electronics within any given device are just fine, and indeed "vastly superior" to most electronics produced here. I feel that is where the advantage ends, any given tv, vcr, dvd player, ect. are all made with cheap plastic or thin flimsy metal and the majority also feature an ass-tastic interface. Of course there are exceptions but these rare departures from the norm are pricy.

Quote:

Originally posted by taipeileviathan
definitely not true.
mad.gif
grr...

i'm not sure about headphones, but i must clear up this misconception about general goods that're made in asia that many westerners i've met, especially americans, harbor. sorry, i'm in a tad bit of a pissy mood cuz my macro-econ prof was making some derogatory comments about asia, so now, instead of confronting her, i must defend my race on this forum where a like topic has arisen... -_-" ...

my brother is a 2nd year mba student at wharton, and we often discuss the economic state of things in asia, especially greater china. i have to run to class soon, so i'll relate only this much in this post (i can type more later if needed): in my brother's travels visiting major international corporations in greater china this past summer with several of his classmates, they discovered that the technology and craftsmanship of many goods manufactured in china were far superior to their american equivalents. one of the classmates, an ex-plant-supervisor for GM, was completely blown away by the superior technology of the automated vehicle plants in china as well as the quality of these products as compared to american manufacturers. of course, not all goods made in asia are consistently quality, but in general, when foreign companies move their fabrication plants to china, they invest far more technology, money, and time in their mainland efforts for many reasons that i wish i could talk about here but i'm late to class...

... so yes, buy ur senn earphones with confidence.
with love from philly,
~taipeileviathan...

tongue.gif
ah... much better now...

edit: sorry bout that... my prof just really pissed me off, so i kinda vented here...
redface.gif

Oct 7, 2002 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 20
Ultimately, the responsibility of quality control falls back on Senn. It's their job to ensure their products are being produced to their standards, regardless of where it is being produced.

Oct 7, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 20
All of the earbuds are made in china, and I'm pretty sure the 400 series is also made in China. Haven't had any problems with mine. My 580s, otoh, were made in Ireland. Have they moved some 580/600 production to China? I'm not sure, though I doubt it.

Oct 7, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #14 of 20
okay, some more apologies about my post... the humor about the stout is actually pretty witty, now that i get it...
redface.gif
i really shouldn't be reacting to posts anymore after only 2 hrs of a nite's sleep and a pissy econ lecture...
redface.gif

mercid, u make an interesting point about the suv craze, but i still don't think that that is the primary factor in why asian auto-manufacturers have been outperforming american ones in the family car market. firstly, we cannot lump chinese and japanese automakers into the same category: the development of these two industries have been entirely separate. with respect to japanese auto industries, well, all i have to say is that german car makers are also in the family car market, yet japanese car makers were able to compete directly with them all over the world. it's a question of cause and effect: did the american car makers turn to chugging out suvs and thus fall behind, or did the japanese force the americans out of that market?
biggrin.gif
altho i'm actually not too sure on this myself, i have a hard time believing that the 3 big american auto companies would simply "ignore" the enormous segment of the international auto market that is family cars simply because suv's were becoming trendy in the domestic market... but that's just a thought.
with respect to china, however, i think i can speak with some more confidence. recent developments in the chinese auto-industry are exactly that: recent. they did not start 10-15 years ago, the time period in which u said the suv craze began; they had their deepest roots in the mid-90's, and developed from then on at exponential rates. to be sure, most of this development is a result of foreign investment, in physical capital and in technology, and so one mite argue that they aren't really chinese products. however, the end products are still "made in china", and as such count towards the chinese gdp, which is what i'm out to defend: the quality of chinese-made products. the car example is just the first example that popped into my head before rushing off to class... i will move on to electronics eventually...

the name of the game of everything in this world is economics (that's why i like the stuff [tho i dun like this prof... grr....]), and as such, the name of the game is also "cheap". the manufacturer that gets away with the best bang for the buck is the one that usually wins (sans companies like bose
biggrin.gif
). i dunno... i dun really get ur point here... u seem to be agreeing with me, that the electronics, tho they have cheap plastic interfaces, are superior for the price range, but u state ur agreement in a defensive tone. anyway, tho my own tone was puerile, i was just trying to get ppl who mite have doubts about chinese/taiwanese-made products to have confidence in them.

on electronics: there's a reason why taiwan was a semi-conductor powerhouse in the past 2 decades, and to say that it's because we make things cheaper is gross oversimplification. for starters, there are many hi-end (expensive) name brands from taiwan well respected in their industries, from the famous ones in consumer grade electronics (asustek: motherboards, video cards, etc.) to industrial grade electronics (tsmc: semiconductors; unicap electronics industrial: pcb) to more obscure ones in niche markets (advantech: blade servers). some people will argue that they do well because traditional asian education, tho suppressive of creativity, tends to produce meticulous engineers. i won't venture to say that i know all the reasons why asustek and tsmc do well, but in the niche markets i dare say they do well because giant international companies like intel and ibm operate on business models that cannot tolerate the enormous risks involved in manufacturing, marketing, and distributing disruptive technological products like in the case of blade servers earlier this year. as an enormous source in the 80's and 90's for oem, taiwan, tho historically unable to generate creative solutions, is exceptionally adept at taking foreign technologies and ideas, working out the kinks, and translating the ideas from paper to physical product. much the same thing has happened in china in the past decade, although we have yet to see if their ability to generate creative solutions will blossom once things really start to rock out there.

hmm... i'm not sure if our arguments are in opposition with each other... i think we mite be arguing the same thing, just from different perspectives. however, having met several americans who think that taiwanese come from thailand
rolleyes.gif
and that "made in taiwan" is synonomous to cheap and easily breakable
mad.gif
, i still think that my post is somewhat valuable...

ps, sorry bout hijacking the thread... *sheepish*...

Oct 7, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 20
taipeileviathan,

You make good, valid points. I did not intend the tone of my post to be defensive. I just think that the car model is a poor one, and as evidence i point to the taurus. I do not even know where the Taurus rates on the best sellers list anymore but I read in Automobile that if it were not for fleet sales it would'nt even be on the list. This from a car that was the running #1 for many years
confused.gif

anyway, I do think that we are making the same point but from differant perspectives. The only thing i know about AsusTek is that they make very stable mobo's and thats whythey get my cash when its time to upgrade the comp
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back