Safe to run speakers out of a headphone amp?
Nov 19, 2008 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pez

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, I love running this cMoy before it hits my CD Player. Here's how it is currently set up w/ amp:

Computer>cMoy>CD Player>Cerwin Vega D-3.

Now the bass is ridiculous and crazy, and it's the only way I can really add without it drowning out other frequencies (EQ's are good for that, unless I'm missing something). One thing I notice is the woofers go crazy with the bass, so I don't want to bust the speakers, so I'm curious what you guys think (and no, buying a better reciever or anything isn't a choice for me).

So opinions are very useful now.

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you run a CMoy output into a CD player (unless you are referring to an integrated unit consisting of a CD player and amplifier)?

Oh yes, sorry. It's like a 3 disc changer that has the red and white AUX ports, and that's how I run my speakers from my computer (b/c they're floorstandings). Sorry I wasn't more specific. I just don't want to blow my speakers. I mean, I know if I turned it up too loud, they would blow (obviously
tongue.gif
) but I just want to know if it's safe to do.

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 8
That still really doesn't explain why you would use a CMOY on the output of your computer before the input of the CD player.

Either way, by the sound of that setup, you're not using a headphone amp to drive the speakers, you're using the CD player. Are you connecting the speakers to the headphone jack or something?

Sorry, I'm confused.

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 8
Is your CD player designed to handle that much power input? I'd worry more about cooking that off instead of the speakers. Whether you damage speakers depends on the speakers. Some are robust, but voicecoils can get misaligned or cooked in others. Assuming you're running dynamic speakers.

And that setup makes zero sense to me. You're probably getting a heap of distortion from overdriving the CD player. If you want bass, add an EQ and/or sub.

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 8
The woofers go crazy with the bass because the amp thats directly driving the speakers is under powered.
The amp throws the woofer out on a bass note, and only makes it back half way before it has to perform another bass note and if it over-throws hard enough , it can blow physically.

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's possible that your cmoy has bass-boost built in and that accounts for the change in bass performance.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. It's adding bass to the final output. I really just like it for the bass, but I can add a sub to the reciever. The purpose was just to add bass. Someone said an EQ? How much would one be? Links? I don't like software EQ's, b/c they'll turn down other frequencies when turning up the bass (i.e. itunes and wmp eq).

EDIT: It says max power it can output is 240W.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back