Sade
Feb 10, 2010 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bikeboy999

100+ Head-Fier
I just saw her on letterman tonight, has anyone heard the whole album yet? I liked what I heard and was wondering how the album fits in the war (loudness of course)

beerchug.gif

B

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by bikeboy999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just saw her on letterman tonight, has anyone heard the whole album yet? I liked what I heard and was wondering how the album fits in the war (loudness of course)

beerchug.gif

B

Good, not great.
IMO, lacks the cohesion and flow of previous efforts. Doesnt feel as organic to me either...I probably need to give it a couple more listens.

What do you mean by "album fits in the war"?

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 6
I thought the new album is excellent... markedly different direction for Sade. However, I feel it's a good direction for her. Her voice is so smooth and silky.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 6
I bought two copies last night. One for me, one for my wife. She (well, they) holds a very special place in both our hearts. I put her onto Sade, and she's been a huge fan since we met. I became a fan in 1999, just in time for Lovers Rock.

Soldier of Love is solid, but I'm afraid it won't have that staying/lasting power as many of their other albums. Love Deluxe had No Ordinary Love, Cherish the Day. Diamond Life had Smooth Operator, Cherry Pie, Hang on to Your Love....you get the idea.

On first listen, I didn't really hear a song on Soldier of Love that said "Hey Jajo, you'll be listening to me for years to come" like so many of the other past works.

Some say "it's a new direction" for Sade. Really? So when will this "direction" continue? The last album was in 2000, which saddens me too much to know that it could be another 10 years for more work.

I'll keep listening to Soldier of Love, and I'm sure it will be in heavy rotation for the next month. I hope I end up liking it even more. There are a tad too many dull tracks on there. Skin and Soldier of Love (I didn't like SOL at first) are terrific though.

Let me just say, if there is a tour, I'll be sure not to miss it. Who knows if there will be another.

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good, not great.
IMO, lacks the cohesion and flow of previous efforts. Doesnt feel as organic to me either...I probably need to give it a couple more listens.

What do you mean by "album fits in the war"?

I mean is it over processed and set loud so there exists no dynamics to thrill. aka Loudness war/quality of sound. Unless I am confused about the war. :)

B

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 6
Have not heard it myself yet.
But have seen numerous advertisement banners on subway stations the last days. WIll check out..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back