Sad day for Canadian Music...
Oct 19, 2005 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

roy_jones

500+ Head-Fier
The Tea Party, a great trio of rockers that released 7 albums over the last 15 years has called it quits. I doubt that too many american posters were familiar with their work, but I always felt they were one of the most underrated bands going.

They fused a Led Zepplin sounding debut album, with world music influences, some electronic leanings, and an orchestral element throughout their musical progression. I'd recommend 'The Edges of Twilight' for anyone that hasn't heard them, and is interested in checking them out. That's their more world-music driven LP, so if you're more of a NIN guy, then I'd suggest 'Transmission', their third LP.

A sad, sad day.

Oct 19, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 8
I was afraid you were going to say that Stompin' Tom Connors had died. I left Cape Breton on the Coalboat/ For St. Johns Newfoundland. . .

Oct 20, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 8
I have "Splendor Solis" and I love it. I've got a couple after that (Edge of Twilight and Transmission) and I did not like them at all.

Splendor Solis has great sound too. The drum sound is spectacular.

Oct 20, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 8
I'm not too upset, actually not at all, but to each his own...I atually met the lead singer once (his name escapes me...) and I remember how big his head was, not as in he was full of himself, I mean literally, he had a huge cranium...
eek.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 8
They did some good work, but I stopped following them at all a number of years ago. I was never a big fan I really started losing interest.

I think that it is about time they moved on.

On the other hand with dung like nickelback dominating the airwaves it makes me wish tea party was more successful. Thankfully I don't listen to the radio, but I feel the pain of others who are subjected to this garbage because they don't know any better.

Whoever said ignorance is bliss got it wrong when it comes to good music. It may be bliss for the artists/execs who can get away with manufacturing crap but it is just plain hurtful to the audience.

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by omedon
They did some good work, but I stopped following them at all a number of years ago. I was never a big fan I really started losing interest.

On the other hand with dung like nickelback dominating the airwaves it makes me wish tea party was more successful. Thankfully I don't listen to the radio, but I feel the pain of others who are subjected to this garbage because they don't know any better.

Whoever said ignorance is bliss got it wrong when it comes to good music. It may be bliss for the artists/execs who can get away with manufacturing crap but it is just plain hurtful to the audience.

Yeah, if you start to put them into the context of other canadian artists, like Nickelback, I think they never really got what they deserved. They were a really solid live band, too. I was always surprised that they weren't more successful than they were, but then again, I guess from some of the responses, a lot of people gave them a chance, but were never that impressed. I'd thought they would be more popular if they'd had better exposure, but I'm starting to realize that might not be the case.

What's interesting, is that a lot of major artists are really aware of their stuff, and give them a lot of respect, but not so much the average fans...

Oct 22, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by omedon

If you're not listening to the radio, you're missing lots of good stuff. Be sure to listen to CBC's "CBC Radio 3" and "Definitely Not The Opera" for some great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back