SACD vs. DVD-A
Jul 10, 2003 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hiker

500+ Head-Fier
I posted a message several weeks ago reguarding several different sources and I got several comprehensive answers. I thought I was going to get the Philips 963SA with SACD playback capabilities. I was actually pretty sure, but then I thought about DVD-As. Does either disc have a distinct advantage over the other sonically? or availability-wise? Does anyone know which disc has better chances of becoming the new standard or do you think both will prevail? I'd like to know because I would like to get a player with SACD and DVD-A capabilities if the situation warrants it. If not, I'll go with the Philips. Currently, I have neither types of disc, but I would like to start converting my collection over slowly and it seems to me that there is no clear direction that the music industry is taking. Any info will help.
Thanks.

Hiker

Jul 10, 2003 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi Hiker,
There really is no format war per se where there needs to be a winner and a loser. You couldn't play your BETA tapes on a VHS VCR, but you can play an SACD on a DVD-Audio player and vice-versa. Universal players are quickly becoming the norm. Major labels are roughly evenly split between those supporting DVD-A and those in the SACD camp.

No two people will agree whether DVD-A or SACD is better, it's an unending raging controversy. Most salient point is that they are both have much better *potential* than Redbook CDs. Ironically DVD-A really is a sort of "super CD" or a CD on steroids, it uses the same basic CD technology but expands on it. SACD is something new under the sun and a different kind of digital.

Maybe your best bet right now is to see which format seems to have the most titles you are interested in, and get a player that supports that format. You should also decide how long you expect to have the player. No doubt within 12-18 months there will appear a true universal DVD-A/SACDP for $400 that is equivalent to the Phillips 963SA in terms of audio quality.

Mark

Jul 10, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 10
Hiker,

It comes down to what kind of music you listen to. For me, the titles available on SACD is more to my taste. So, check into the availability of titles from your favorite artists on either format. I also have purchased DVD-A, like Elvis 30 #1 Hits, but I don't have a DVD-A capable player. My plan is to eventually get a universal player. An inexpensive universal player is about to hit the market in less than a week, the Pioneer DV-763A, retailing for about US$180.00.

Regarding SACD playback....until very recently, Sony has only issued single-layer SACD, which means playback is only possible with a SACD-capable player. Same with recent titles from The Police and Peter Gabriel. At the same time, when DVD-A are played back on a SACD/DVD player, you are hearing the defaulted Dolby Digital tracks, not the SACD layer.

As for support for each format, again, it comes down to the music you listen to. All of the major labels, including DVD-A supporter Warner Bros., have released SACDs.

Jul 11, 2003 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
Hiker,

It comes down to what kind of music you listen to. For me, the titles available on SACD is more to my taste. So, check into the availability of titles from your favorite artists on either format. I also have purchased DVD-A, like Elvis 30 #1 Hits, but I don't have a DVD-A capable player. My plan is to eventually get a universal player. An inexpensive universal player is about to hit the market in less than a week, the Pioneer DV-763A, retailing for about US$180.00.

Regarding SACD playback....until very recently, Sony has only issued single-layer SACD, which means playback is only possible with a SACD-capable player. Same with recent titles from The Police and Peter Gabriel. At the same time, when DVD-A are played back on a SACD/DVD player, you are hearing the defaulted Dolby Digital tracks, not the SACD layer.

As for support for each format, again, it comes down to the music you listen to. All of the major labels, including DVD-A supporter Warner Bros., have released SACDs.

SACD layer? DVD-As don't have an SACD layer.

Jul 11, 2003 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 10
Sony has made SACD the betamax of the future. And I'm of the belief that DVD-A will turn into something like suround sound music. Not the type of thing I want to listen to my Miles Davis on. Until the Technology is to where I can carry it around on my waist, I'm going to stick to the record player. It'll beat any SACD or DVD-A I've heard so far. Flame me if you wanna, I'm ok with it.

Bill

Jul 11, 2003 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by ilikemonkeys
Until the Technology is to where I can carry it around on my waist, I'm going to stick to the record player. It'll beat any SACD or DVD-A I've heard so far. Flame me if you wanna, I'm ok with it.

Bill

Well unfortunately for me, I never had the opportunity to experience the superior quality of records because my analogue equipment is pretty crappy. I eventually want to get a good analogue system in the future, but at the time I just don't have the money nor the space (I'll be in a college dorm next year). Plus, I would not like to be completely reliant on records.

Does anyone else have more experience with the hybrid players? Ill check into the Pioneer model that was mentioned, but I would assume that redbook playback isn't very good. I believe there is a pricier Pioneer model out as well as a Denon or Onyko. Has anyone heard these?

Jul 11, 2003 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 10
Oops....my bad, Whitebread....I meant the DVD-A layer

I think SACD/DVD-A will be a niche market format, much like laserdisc was in the video market. Vast majority of the people out there just doesn't care. These people will be shocked at the stuff we are talking about here....headphone amps? $300 headphones? expensive interconnects? Perhaps the only thing that SACD/DVD-A offers that may be of value is surround sound music reproduction. But then, music nowadays is listened as audio wallpaper.

Jul 11, 2003 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 10
A year ago, people said that DVD-A would be implemented on every DVD player, and then the format would become household and the number of software would skyrocket -- so far this did not happen. Right now SACD is far more visible, in record stores and hardware stores.

In all likelihood, for either format to gain widespread acceptance, it has to piggyback on existing technology, most likely DVD-video; otherwise the format will remain in the "audiophile niche". I must say I'm not tempted by the current batch of players -- they are either too expensive, or doesn't play redbook very well. Things will improve, though.

Surround sound is nice, but my den doesn't have the room for the five (or more) speakers, Which headphones do surround sound well?

Jul 11, 2003 at 7:15 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm wondering if the music industry isn't taking a lesson from the CDR industry and second guessing DVD-A. With all the DVD burners being sold, I could see it being a concern. (Granted, I am assuming that a DVD burner can burn a DVD-A disc.)

To me, the biggest thing SACD has going for it at the moment (as a product in general) is that if you search for SACD at Amazon.com, you get over 250 titles. I tried for 10 minutes using DVD, DVDA, DVD-A, and DVD(A) and got nothing but movies and CDs with a bonus DVD. I finally put in "DVD Audio" and half of the results listed were for SACDs. When I finally found the DVD Audio section, there were 51 titles and less then half of them were by, what I would call, major artists. Most of the ads seemed to be selling the format over the music.

As a side note, if you do have DVD-A and like Soul, Jazz, or Gospel, you might want to check out the Take-6[/b] DVD-A, as that was an excellent album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back