SACD vs Analog
Jul 28, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #16 of 25
1. Even in an hermetically sealed "cleanroom", when handled by pristine hands or precision robots, with the best tonearm/cartridge, the vinyl media will degrade with each play. In the same setting, a CD/SACD will not. Less pristine environments, such as the real world, only widen this gap.

2. How many of the top 100 on each of Billboard's lists this week are available new on vinyl or SACD? How many of any of your favorite albums are currently available in either format? How many future releases will be? I'm with Hirsch on this point, but at least SACD has a shot.

It is fascinating to hear to what lengths some of you go to obtain vinyl software. You guys are cool! Or is it "nuts"?
tongue.gif

Jul 28, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
It is fascinating to hear to what lengths some of you go to obtain vinyl software. You guys are cool! Or is it "nuts"?
tongue.gif

For me, vinyl makes more sense than any digital format. I don't listen to music recorded past the eighties. I sold my CD and SACD players to commit myself entirely to the past (now, at the age of seventeen). All of my favorite albums can be found molding over in garages. (Hell, most of what I enjoy is re-pressed each year!) Some may crackle, but they all bring me so completely into tune with the music that I can't stop listening.

To markl I must say I don't give a damn about convenience. When I sit down to listen, nothing else matters but the soul of the performance. That's communicated to me most readily through vinyl playback.

NGF

Jul 28, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

1. Even in an hermetically sealed "cleanroom", when handled by pristine hands or precision robots, with the best tonearm/cartridge, the vinyl media will degrade with each play

Sort of like the way the ozone layer "degrades" every time you use an aerosol can?
rolleyes.gif

Jul 29, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

1. Even in an hermetically sealed "cleanroom", when handled by pristine hands or precision robots, with the best tonearm/cartridge, the vinyl media will degrade with each play. In the same setting, a CD/SACD will not. Less pristine environments, such as the real world, only widen this gap.

This is all factual.But not probable.In the real world most LPs are purchased by audiophiles and musiclovers(we are not counting DJs) who treat them better than their own kids.Most CDs are dragged from the house (and all it's CDPs) to the car to the portable to the PC.They are tossed about and used as coasters and such.so while the Cd is actually more durable and wears less than an LP, it is rare that it is as well taken care of.My point is that I have a large LP collection that includes many records that are more than 50 years old and still sound great.How many 15 year old CDs do you have?

Jul 29, 2002 at 3:51 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
How many 15 year old CDs do you have?

I have all my cds, starting back to 1992, their still there in excellent condition.

As for Vinyl, yeah it sounds amazing, but a lot of people view it as a cumbersome format only for the most hardcore (read: most of us).

If this schmuck you ran into ran his mouth off in one of the vinyl shops in the village he would've been tarred and feathered by the hippy community.

wink.gif

Jul 29, 2002 at 2:55 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
When I was a kid my parents bought a big console that was like 8 feet long that had a record player in it and an 8 track. Does anybody remember those? I used to listen to records on it and thought it sounded fantastic.

Man, I would love to ge one of those. My dad had one, I believe it was a Magnavox, with a Garrard turntable and he got this flat panel speakers hidden in the walls, so we had music all over the place. I preffered the sound of the console alone.

BTW, Anybody has an oppinion about those Garrard turntables? I believe Rick told me once they were good, but I can't remember well.

Jul 29, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #22 of 25
Even with a cheap record player (my CEC) vinyl still sounds better than CD's. I even listen to used records. Even with lower end equipment, you can still here the differences in musicality. I have never been moved with sacd sound like I have with vinyl sound.

Jul 29, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix

Man, I would love to ge one of those. My dad had one, I believe it was a Magnavox, with a Garrard turntable and he got this flat panel speakers hidden in the walls, so we had music all over the place. I preffered the sound of the console alone.

BTW, Anybody has an oppinion about those Garrard turntables? I believe Rick told me once they were good, but I can't remember well.

I know that the garrard 301 has an extremely sweet motor. It was one of the first uber-precision speed turntables I think. Combine it with a nice tonearm, and a decent cartridge, and you have a pretty decent analog setup. However, I am pretty sure that thorens has a slightly better reputation than garrard.

Jul 30, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #24 of 25
I've compared a few vinyl discs with the same thing reissued on cd. Although I can't hera much difference except the surface noise on vinyl the cd is definately better in the bass end with true extension and solidity. Yet there are times when vinyl has a certain air or ambience about it thats lacking on cd.

Bob Carver once said that he could take a cd and make it sound like a analog record but he couldn't make a record sound like a cd.

Jul 30, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by RobertR
Bob Carver once said that he could take a cd and make it sound like a analog record but he couldn't make a record sound like a cd.

Hehe, you know your gonna get chewed out for that last comment?

Why would anyone want their Lp's to sound like a cd?

Anyway, i got my hands on some MFSL Beatles LP transferred to cd and they sound glorious....guess what? No surface noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back