SACD-capable Receiver with Analog Line-Out?
Nov 27, 2009 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

javertim

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a receiver than can handle complete analog input from an SACD player that also has an analog line-out. I want the line-out so that I can attach my headphone amplifier to the receiver itself so that I can not only enjoy using my headphones with the SACD player but any other components that I hook up to the receiver. I have been looking all over for something like this, but I just can't seem to find it. ... Preferably, I would want something under $600.

Thanks! :)

Nov 27, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 13
No such thing as a SACD reciever. Almost all receivers have room for an analog stereo input. In fact you have to use analog, as SACD will not output digital.

That being said, you should be able to find a receiver with "pre-amp" outputs, although they tend to be more expensive.

Consider a used multi channel receiver though, as you can get multi (5?) from a lot of SACD disks. Get some speakers, and surrounds and have at it.

Most commercial receivers now handle home entertainment duties, and are multi channel.

Interestingly "stereo" receivers are getting harder to find, especially in the consumer sales locations, as well as being more expensive. Well other than iPod Docks with amps/speakers in them.

You might also just consider "Y" connectors coming out of your SACD player, one to your headphone amp, and one to the receiver, taking the receiver out of your headphone loop.

Nov 27, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 13
Well, what I meant was and SACD capable receiver (I'll update my original post to reflect this). ... Most receivers in my price-range only have a 2-channel input for audio-only input. I have a receiver that is SACD capable, but it doesn't have line-out capabilities and thus I cannot connect it to my headphone amp to so that the amp will work with everything attached to the receiver.

See, I don't only want to be able to use my SACD player with my amp ... Rather, I would like to be able to use several different things with it, like my DVD player, TV, etc. ... This is the only way I can think of making this work.

In the long run, I want to be able to use speakers OR headphones (with amp) with everything connected to my receiver (SACD, DVD, etc.).

Nov 27, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 13
Maybe I should be a little more specific ...

The Yamaha RX-V465BL Receiver, for instance, has a stereo line-out as seen in this photo:

rxv465bl_back_large.jpg

According to Yamaha, this would allow any external component to be selected within the receiver and played through an external source (i.e. my headphone amp). ... The only problem is I cannot see how I would be able to connect an SACD player to this receiver via the multi-channel analog-out jacks.

I completely understand that this will not do me any good if I choose to listen to an SACD via headphones since headphones are only 2-channel, but I want to have the option to listen to SACDs over speakers in multi-channel or on headphones in 2-channel.

Is there something I'm not getting? It just seems like it should be possible to me ...

Nov 27, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 13
That looks nice, but it's nearly 4x my budget as stated in my original post. ... If only I hadn't gone into the teaching profession. :wink: Eh, at least I'm doing something I love.

What I seriously don't get is why Sony (the inventors of SACD) would put out a receiver with a dedicated CD/SACD input on the back and only limit it to 2-channel. What is the point in having an SACD player if you're limited to 2-channel? Can someone please explain this to me?

Case in point:
Amazon.com: Sony STR-DA3400ES 7.1 Channel AV Receiver: Electronics

Nov 28, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 13
Basically all you need is a unit with 5.1 RCA input. Some DVD players output DSD on I think Oppo 980 does this, unsure what that means or how you get it to work. But typical setups are 6 RCA, ie for my Oppo 83 which is SACD capable just select 5.1 RCA input, bypass mode.

Nov 28, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 13
You can use the tape out to connect the headphone amp. Keep in mind that many receivers, specially the home theater kind with DSP effects, simply digitize the analog inputs using an ADC then feed it to their DSP section. You thus lose SACD's high resolution in the conversion. An older pure-analog receiver would do a better job. I would suggest you have a look at Cambridge Audio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No such thing as a SACD reciever.

There's the Denon RCD-CX1:
Denon USA | RCD-CX1

Nov 28, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can use the tape out to connect the headphone amp. Keep in mind that many receivers, specially the home theater kind with DSP effects, simply digitize the analog inputs using an ADC then feed it to their DSP section. You thus lose SACD's high resolution in the conversion. An older pure-analog receiver would do a better job. I would suggest you have a look at Cambridge Audio.

There's the Denon RCD-CX1:
Denon USA | RCD-CX1

X2 on this one. Most receivers these days are poor in terms of resolution and fidelity, even the all out top of the line multi K $$ units get killed by dedicated analog separates.

Look at used gear to get the most bang for your buck as others have mentioned here. 600 spent on a 3 year old receiver in mint condition will give you far greater performance than 600 spent on a brand new low end unit. Most of the older receivers have 5.1 analog inputs and some have dedicated analog signal pathways for just such a use (SACD/DVDA - direct source bypassing any digital conversions).

Peete.

Nov 28, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by javertim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I seriously don't get is why Sony (the inventors of SACD) would put out a receiver with a dedicated CD/SACD input on the back and only limit it to 2-channel. What is the point in having an SACD player if you're limited to 2-channel? Can someone please explain this to me?

Because there are people like me who listens to SACD in 2 channel stereo. SACD was originally developed as a 2 channel stereo medium and most of the mega-bucks audiophile SACD decks out there are 2 channel stereo only.

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 13
Looking at the picture, you should be using the Audio Out jacks, then there're two to the right for rear surround and subwoofer output.

Are you looking to hook up a set of Medusa headphones?

My other suggestion is a trip to a pawnshop. Lots of recievers with analog 5.1 in/out there.

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 13
You may want to look into a av processor with 5.1 RCA input, why have speaker power amplifiers if you're not using them? Sound quality on av processors is generally greater than av amplifiers. If the Proceed AVP2 has 5.1 input look into that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back