SACD 5.1+Headphones=Waste?
Apr 23, 2002 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mic

100+ Head-Fier
Hmm, I just want to get people's opinion on this. Are the two channel SACD players in general as good as their 5.1 counterpart for headphones? For example, is the 222ES as good as the 333ES? How about the 777ES vs. the XA777ES?

So then, is it a waste of money if you know you will only use it with headphones for a while? Would that money be better spent buying the two channel version at a lesser cost?

Apr 23, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 8
I don't think this is the right way to go about comparing the two...certainly you have to factor in whether or not you'd ever use the 5.1 part of the player. But I've heard so many comments going back and forth between the new and old players just regarding 2 channel redbook playback that I wouldn't bet my money on those comments until I heard the players myself. Some comments say the XA777ES totally levels the SCD-1 for redbook along with a bunch of other players/DAC&transport combos, while others say it's the other way around. Point being, it's not only the 5.1 that you have to consider, but also that Sony did drastically change over the two channel half of the newer players as well. Some may think it's an improvement, others not. In some cases I see people that end up owning both because they can't make up their minds, and it becomes a different player each night for certain types of music.

One consistent thing though is I have yet to see a single person disappointed in the XA777ES. That really seems to be Sony's trump card at this point, and is apparently a phenomenal player.

BTW, I think you'd find better answers to this doing some research at Audioasylum.

Apr 23, 2002 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 8
I voted yes, but would change my vote to "it depends", were that an option. I have to second the opinion that it depends on model by model. There are probably surround models that provide better two-channel than some of the early two-channel models (the SCD-1 excepted, of course). Although I'm sure once they come out with a new surround flagship model, even that exception will become untrue.

Apr 23, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 8
Depending on who you believe, the DACs in the more recent multi-channel players XA777ES and 555ES are better than the 333ES on two channel as well.

markl

Apr 23, 2002 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 8
I just bought the Sony DVP-NS500V SACD/DVD player. The main reason why I bought it is; It has 2 analog audio outputs and of course the SACD capability. As far as DVD video; I do like to watch a movie now and then, so now I have the video capability as well. I do not own a Receiver at the moment, but if I decide to get one, I may very well use the 5.1 multichannel outputs.

I only have 2 SACD's so far, and it plays back regular audio CD's great in my opinion.

Apr 23, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 8
I'm afraid we'll be listening to downmixes in the futures. Luckily we currently have both 2-channel and 5.1 on the same disc, but I'll guess that it's only a matter of time before they drop the 2-channel layer.

Apr 24, 2002 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff
I'm afraid we'll be listening to downmixes in the futures. Luckily we currently have both 2-channel and 5.1 on the same disc, but I'll guess that it's only a matter of time before they drop the 2-channel layer.

Not possible. One good thing about the SACD contingent is that they are completely supportive of stereo. A requirement is to have a stereo mix. Multi-channel is an option. They're only pushing multi-channel to compete. They don't want DVD-A to have anything that they don't (other than watermarking).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back